Your Cricket Fast Bowling

a medium pacer definately dunno how fast though

Ok, i got timed today on a speed gun, and it was 53-58mph.

Adarsh said:
Can I just clear something here? The bowling speed is calculated as soon as the ball is released and the speed is calculated after a few cm after the ball is released. The bowling speed is NOT "x/22 yards". Most bowlers' speed ends up at about 50-60mph when the ball reaches the batsman.

As Manee kindly pointed out for me, I gave a formula for the average speed over the 22 yards, not one for the speed after it has travelled 22 yards :)

I did stress in my post that it was only useful as a rough guide.

my advice :

if your fitness levels are not up to the mark....then forget bowling quicker..
or in fact, forget bowling for that matter !! ;)

people will say not to take long run-ups but i oppose it..the longer the run-up, the less effort you have to put on your arms / shoulders !! but that doesnt
mean you should start form the sightscreen :p

if you take a shorter run-up but if you wanna bowl quicker , then you need to put more effort in your arm, shoulders etc etc...which takes a lot out of your hand IMO !!

and the run-up size - as being a fast bowler, i usually take run-ups approximately the size of the pitch..i.e 22yards ??.

your jump / final stride is as important as your run-up..if that doesnt go smooth with the run-up, then you'll end up bowling poor deliveries no matter even if its Mcgrath or akhtar ;)

lot of things to explain....tell me if it works for you and i'll conitnue further (if you want i.e :p )

Thanks for the help...BTW, im intreged to know, what are your paces and what are your ages,

I want to know is 53-58mph is good or bd for a 14 yr old

speed is not everything, look at vaas he balls at 125 kmph or hight 70's mph and he gets more wickets than guys who r much faster than him,
so work on ur variety as well, like off cutters and slower balls (although its hard to ball slower at ur pace), but for a 14 yr old thats pretty good

Keep on working at it...look at the first post of this thread in five minutes I'll put all the tips I've been given there

U should enter ur details or do the calculations using this method, it seems pretty reliable

puddleduck said:
Just to add to my earlier post, you end up with

rate = distance/time

Where rate is your speed.

Make sure your measurements are all in sync though, by this if you having the time in seconds, and your distance in yards, you'll get a weird looking speed ;) So you may want to convert the distance to miles or kilometers before calcuating the final total. For the record 22 yards is about 0.0125 miles. So say it took .75 seconds for the ball to get from your hand to the stumps.

You'd have .0125 / .75 = 0.016666*

Now multiply the .016666 with 3600 to get a time based in hours instead of seconds and you get 60mph.

Bare in mind this is not perfect, and my maths is a little rusty, so hopefully anyone who is currently studying maths or physics can correct me If I am wrong ;)

The three main things i worry about when bowling quick are:

1) Warming up and stretching properly. Most of the time i start stretching about 15-20 mins before the rest of the team. I have really tight hamstrings as it is, so stretching them is a must. I have never hurt myself after stretching properly. Even when i go have a muck around with some mates i stretch, even though my friends think im stupid, i like to make sure i wont get any inuries.

2) Sit-ups. Every bowling coach i have had says to do as many sit-ups as you can and strengthen your stomach muscles. This will stop you getting too many back injuries. I try to do at least 30 a night, most of the time i do about 100.

3) I dunno if this affects a lot of people or not, but i always try to keep my head still and looking at where im going to bowl when running in. It helps me to keeep everything in line and balanced.
You were talking about have your wrist fall away when you bowl. This was a problem i also had which is bad because you don't get full pace. Your fingers aren't driving through the ball to give it that extra kick. Keeping my head still and not leaning to far to one side fixed this problem up for me and also making sure that my left arm (right arm bowler) comes down close to my body on my follow through and not out to the side. This makes your body weight move towards where you are bowling, and not away which will make the wrist and arm drop.

Hope that is at all helpful!

I'm 14 (almost 15) and using the method listed above i bowled 76.7mph . However, my teammates dont think i bowl that fast, although it is possible cuz i am 6'2 and i used to do 100 sit-ups everyday last summer and the summer b4 that.

A few things to remember, makes sure you take a fair few readings so as to give yourself a couple of base points and eliminate the possibility of anomolous readings. These are ones that are basically errors. So you have to do it a few times, and get basically an average time, eliminating the results that are drastically high or low. Human error in getting the stop and start of the stopwatch can lead to some of them being wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread