Fasting (For Everyone)

If you fast occasionally, What religion do you follow?

• Total voters
Fasting, pah, no chance of that for me, I struggle to not eat for about an hour. Luckily I have a mega metabolism, meaning it's bloody hard to put on weight. I've been sat about doing bugger all for about 2 months, with the odd bid of cricket and some weight work, and I've not put on a pound. Means I can eat what I want, when I want. Tis all good.

I'm exactly the same XD

I almost exclusively live off freezer food and take-away ^^

At the people who say they could never fast because they eat too much, I can tell you that I'm like that all year long, but am able to fast without many problems. It just takes a little self discipline.

At the people who say they could never fast because they eat too much, I can tell you that I'm like that all year long, but am able to fast without many problems. It just takes a little self discipline.

What?! Self discipline?

Thats just taking the mick...:p

@KBC - She is allowed to break her fast if it is affecting her health. Everyone is expected to fast only if they are physically able, so small kids, pregnant women, and the elderly anre not needed to fast. Even teenagers or young adults are not reuqired to fast if they have careers like being an athlete or aren't physically able to.

I wouldn't be able to fast. It's not the not-eating part I'm worried about, it's the side effects. My nose is generally running and half blocked and I sneeze all the time from when I wae up until I drink like half a litre of water, then it gets better. So that would be an issue. I also eat like 7 times a day, not three large meals but 3 smallish meals and lots of little meals in between, so I fear I might not be able to eat enough before the fast, or that it might slip my attention and I'd take a sip of water.
That being said, I'd like to try. My friend, who is hindu, admires Muslims and Ramadan and fasts during Ramadan as well, without the prayers. My moms and most other hindus fast one day a year, where they are only allowed to drink sherbat (Rose water) throught the day.

I can't imagine fasting is very hard. I'm a little bit weird in a similar sort of way. When I drop something like a towel on the floor I want to just walk off and leave it, except that would be a bit tight on my mum, now for some reason a little voice in my head comes along and says if you don't pick it up united won't beat the scousers. Now I imagine it's like that except replace united losing with going to hell. Although I do it for some really weird things like opening and closing he bin 2 or 3 times and stuff. It's actually beginning to piss me off.

Never have, never will. Totaly respect people who do, but I don't see how it can help me in anyway, quite the contrary

It must be awfull to do it so well done to those who do

:cheers

Actually, it has several medical benefits if done well, as well as psychological benefits. A key feature of Islam is that almost everything in the Quran and everything that Muslims do is for their own physical and mental welfare.

Fasting in Ramadan is done only by those who are capable of doing it, and one of the key features is to fast during the day while still doing all your regular duties. Fasting doesn't just include food, but abstaining from anger, violance, greed, jelousy, and basically anything wrong. It's about controlling yourself in more ways than one. The point of Ramadan was to make the followers learn that they can exert control over their lives, and that they cannot be bound by anything or will need or rely on anything in their life (apart from God of course). Like food.
It teaches patience, calmness, discipline and self control. Develops good will power.

Charity is also a big part of Ramadan during fasting, and the fasting part also helps the Muslims realise what it is to be hungry and not be able to eat for an entire day, so that they feel more incentive to be charitable, with their time atleast if not with money.

Then there are the physical benefits. Ramadan is just like a detox diet. You eat enough energy foods to start the day, the abstain from anything. Then traditionally, the fast is broken with a few dates (for energy) and some water to cleanse the system. Then their are prayers, while your stomach and bodies adjust to recieving food again, and then there is the meal. Doing this for a month and sticking to a healthy diet can actually help people shed off excess weight.

All in all, Ramadan is pretty fantastic.

i fast too...been doing it for the past 5-6 years in the month of ramadan...not too hard tbh but it does take it's toll if you have to walk 2 miles to college and than back and also have football trials in between:rolleyes:

I fast for 10 hours when I sleep. Any more is asking for too much.

Sureshot said:
I've never heard a medical professional say anything about fasting being helpful for Diabetics.
Suppose If a Diabetic Patient won't eat anything for long time then it might lead him to Hypoglycaemia,He might get the state of Comma and within few hours He will die.

Steve, There are many religions where fasting process goes on, sometimes during the festivals' season and sometimes in the case of eclipses, etc;

I've always wondered, as i lived in india, Many muslims, doesn't matter big or small, young or older, everyone follows fasting process during the time of "ramadan ", one of their most holy festival & month of the year..

No sarcasm, but you haven't seen or didn't know much about this, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist..

I'll tell you one incident which happened about a few years ago, when a girl was going to her high school, she began to faint desperately, and it came to the notice that she was low on B.P and as it was morning (about 8 to 9 O' Clock) when the prayers of the muslims are done, in simple words, as the prayer gets over in the early morning around 5 O' Clock, the fasting begins.. and the girl needed something to bring her back to normality, like glucose, But as it was already fasting, She couldn't eat anything.. not even drinking;

It went on for 10 minutes, he was crying with hunger and was fainting, But many gathered there to help her, and they possibly wanted to give her Energy drinks, but at the same time, the holy fasting was backing them and if they gave her the drink, the girl will be taken as a sinner not by anyone, but by their.. yeah, Quran.. maybe, so people were in real confusion and were in a guilty-feeling that they could do nothing, even though everything is with them.. and they know that they will be the un-appropriate reason for the sin if they give her something to eat or drink.. But, it went on for a good hour, and the girl hardly waited for the fasting to finish though there's a lot of time left for that.. and she kept on spitting and washing her face as some say even galloping is not allowed and i even saw many doing that.. But, the news came in that She was alright by the end of the day, as she was given energetic food to recover..

So, that's how the situations can get to, even knowing that, people do that only for the sake of what they are for, and because of whom they are in this world (As they Believe)

This doesn't happen only in particular countries, everywhere in the world, where there's a rule or a must, in a religion, all for good.. As many disagree with it, it's still good..

my bro
if it is a case like that
she is allowed to break her fast because its an emergency. but breaking a fast for no good reason is a sinful thing to do then in islam

6 x Afridi added 6 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

and zoraxdoom
im very surprised that you have the right view about how muslims fast. u don't find too many people who know about other religions like this.

Users who are viewing this thread