Fifa world cup draw

blake

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Please gives us the crims in the group stage so we can wallop them. Then it'll be another sport we'll be better than them at.

I realise this is a World Cup thread, but this is perhaps one of the stupidest statements ever.

Sports England are better at than Australia
Football/Soccer

Sports Australia are better at than England
Cricket
Hockey
AFL (figured I might include it, if we played as much soccer over here as we did AFL we would wallop England any day, AFL is our national sport, Football is England's so it's not really a comparison)
Rugby League
Rugby Union

Perhaps this settles it?

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Alright group for NZ, if we can pick up one win and a draw we might be able to sneak into the next round, outside Italy we have 30th and 34th in the world.

I don't really expect us to get into the next round...

Highlander999

ICC President
I realise this is a World Cup thread, but this is perhaps one of the stupidest statements ever.

Sports England are better at than Australia
Football/Soccer

Sports Australia are better at than England
Cricket
Hockey
AFL (figured I might include it, if we played as much soccer over here as we did AFL we would wallop England any day, AFL is our national sport, Football is England's so it's not really a comparison)
Rugby League
Rugby Union

Perhaps this settles it?

Nah you guys choke ;) How the Ashes doing mate? ;) Oh and Rugby World Cups. We do enjoy you knocking you out every time :D AFL? No one really cares, same for hockey. Rugby League, meh

Auwais

International Coach
I'd love to see Algeria qualify from that group, knocking out the Yankees. :D

blake

School Cricketer
Nah you guys choke ;) How the Ashes doing mate? ;) Oh and Rugby World Cups. We do enjoy you knocking you out every time :D AFL? No one really cares, same for hockey. Rugby League, meh

Yes, England won the past series, but Australia also won the series before 5-0, and our ranking is higher than yours in both Test and ODI cricket which determines that we are roughly better than you. Rugby World Cup? We do tend to choke occasionally, but we are a better team overall, saying that nobody cares about AFL could also be interpreted as nobody cares about soccer here in Aus - which is partially true anyway.. :spy

Oh well, no point starting a debate in this thread - let's just take it outside.. and carry on discussing the World Cup in here. :D

Auwais

International Coach
Cote d'Ivoire and Serbia always get shafted in these draws. :facepalm

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
But I wouldn't rule either side out. Besides, this is the first time Serbia have been in the draw as a lone nation, and they seem to be performing much better. Could be a real surprise qualifier from that group.

@ MasterBlaster: It was a tough choice between Greece and Nigeria for me, but I just think Greece have better experience and results in the top competitions. I mean nobody ever thought they would win Euro 04 and yet they did. I can see them sneaking through on goal difference or a single point.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Well when you're as good as us, then you might be seeded ;)

I'm just worried how we're already building it up as our year. Being in Scotland ain't gonna be fun if we majorly flop :(

Well, it's a tradition with England isn't it? We should remember the footballing lesson handed out to us by Brazil not so long ago and we weren't much better against Spain. Make no mistake, it will be extremely hard for us to win the World Cup, but I do believe that on our day, we're capable of beating anyone. We'll need some luck to go our way, something that doesn't happen historically with England and World/European Championships...

I'll be supporting Germany and England as per usual. Looking forward to this. Not long now.

Still over six months to go mate!

What will you do if England and Germany meet (it could very well happen in the second round)? :)

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

But I wouldn't rule either side out. Besides, this is the first time Serbia have been in the draw as a lone nation, and they seem to be performing much better. Could be a real surprise qualifier from that group.

@ MasterBlaster: It was a tough choice between Greece and Nigeria for me, but I just think Greece have better experience and results in the top competitions. I mean nobody ever thought they would win Euro 04 and yet they did. I can see them sneaking through on goal difference or a single point.

That Euro 04 win by Greece was the strangest thing ever! After that tournament, they were rubbish (didn't we thrash them fairly comprehensively shortly afterwards?)

Auwais

International Coach
Zidane pissed on England in that tournie.

I miss Zizou.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That Euro 04 win by Greece was the strangest thing ever! After that tournament, they were rubbish (didn't we thrash them fairly comprehensively shortly afterwards?)

They overcame some tricky teams in their qualifying group, but I admit it wasn't that strong. I still think they may just perform once again, like in Euro 04, but obviously not win it. The crucial game in that group will be Nigeria vs Greece.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Zidane pissed on England in that tournie.

I miss Zizou.

You must have been watching a different game. Rooney terrorised that French defence; anyone who saw that game knows that England were very unlucky to lose. All 'Zizou' did was take and score a penalty. Other than that, England were by far the better team in that game.

'cause they won a World Cup. It's called Glory Hunting I believe.

Ghana FTW! :p

Four World Cups! 1934, 1938, 1982 and 2006 to be exact. :)

Auwais

International Coach
You must have been watching a different game. Rooney terrorised that French defence; anyone who saw that game knows that England were very unlucky to lose. All 'Zizou' did was take and score a penalty. Other than that, England were by far the better team in that game.
Rooney was fantastic, yeah, although he mainly terrorised Silvestre rather than the whole French defence.

That's the point, he was largely peripheral during the game but came up with a moment of magic and then was cool as you like from the spot.

WTF was Gerrard thinking though, when he tried passing it back to James. :laugh

Also Rui Costa's goal was another piece of magic against England in that tournament.

The age of the majestic trequartista, like Rui Costa and Zidane, is dead. :(

Users who are viewing this thread