FM11: Juventus - Reviving The 'Old Lady'

JBlues08

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Greetings readers. I've decided to start a story on Juventus because I wanted to try out the Serie A. Picked Juventus because they are like one of the fallen giants in football if you like though their fortunes have improved IRL this season. Not sure how long will I play this save but I will definitely finish AT LEAST the first season off. So, I hope you'll enjoy the story.

Season's Expectations
Forgot to get a screen shot of the club's expectation when I started the save but from what I remembered, they are expecting the club finish in one of the European spots with a transfer budget of around 5 million pound. Don't think it would be a problem to finish amongst the EUropean places but I do think we can finish in the Top 4.

Tactical Approach
For much of this game, I've been playing 4-5-1/4-3-3(whichever you want to call it) with Chelsea but recently decided to try something different. Played a fluid 4-2-2-2/4-2-4 with Villarreal before trying out the 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 DM with Manchester City recently and it worked pretty well. So, I decided to use the same one again with Juventus while using the other two formation mentioned as backups.

TacticalApproach.jpg

Transfers IN and OUT
The Juventus squad at the beginning is not exactly small but not big either. To make matters worse, there were already 3-4 players out injured and will be out for months into the game. However, there were quite a number of loanees from other clubs but they were pretty useless. So, I tossed them back to their parent clubs.

After going through the squad, decided to strengthen the midfield and getting another striker in. Managed to get the club's board to increase the transfer and wage budget which allowed me to make the following transfers:

1. Yohan Cabaye

YohanCabaye.jpg

Never managed him before in the game but judging from his stats, I would think he is a pretty decent player in the game. So, why not just try it out?

2. Falcao

Falcao.jpg

Juventus had 4 strikers in the squad but Amauri and Iaquinta are out injured for months to begin with already. So, that left me with an ageing Del Piero and Quagliarella. Had to get another striker. So, why not Falcao? It was slightly costly getting though but needed too and generated some funds back from the sale of Melo.

3. Miralem Pjanic(loan)

MiralemPjanic.jpg

Only had one player who can play in the AMC role in the 4-2-3-1 which is Aquilani. So, I went to get Pjanic on loan from Lyon who has been great in all of the saves that I've played.

Squad List
After the all of those transfer dealings, my squad now looks like this:

SquadList.jpg

Barring any long term injuries, the squad should be able to last me through the season given I've got only 3 competitions to concentrate on rather than the 4 like in England.

----------

Pre-Season
Only played out 3 friendly games because had to go through 2 Europa League qualifying rounds. The friendlies didn't go exactly too well. Only 1 win from 3 and scoring just 2 goals!

PreSeasonFixtures.jpg

On the Europa League qualifying rounds, pretty much just breezed through it BUT that silly 1-0 loss at HJK was annoying! Thanks to Manninger who chickened out in collecting a through ball and then let HJK scored from their only 2 shots in the entire game!

Serie A: Matchday 1

FvsJ1.jpg

Good to see Falcao finally scoring his first goals for the club. Failed to score one in the pre-season games including those Europa League qualifying matches. Otherwise, a pretty good start to the season. Didn't really expect a 3-0 win away at Fiorentina in the first game.

Completely dominated them in the first half but the second half was crap. The players switched off and allowed Fiorentina back into the game. Could have probably scored a couple of goals if they had taken their chances.

Europa League Group Stage Draw

JGSD.jpg

Got a pretty decent group. Could have been worse but I am getting Auxerre again having played them in the same competition with Villarreal and this is also the first time I got a Scottish team in a European competition in the game. Never faced Rangers or Celtic or any other Scottish team in the Champions League with Chelsea.

Serie A: Matchday 2

JvsL1.jpg

A pretty rubbish game. Gone 1-0 up early on and then it was pretty much Lecce for the entire game. IF it weren't for Storari, Lecce would have got a point here!

Europa League: Matchday 1

JvsDU1.jpg

Again, another rubbish game at home! Rested 3-4 players but the game was going exactly no where as both teams were attacking each other while not exactly creating too much. I then decided to switch to 4-2-2-2 by bringing on Falcao and Krasic around the 70th minute mark.

Still, hardly anything happened until their goalkeeper cracked up and made a mess of a header that was heading back towards him following a goal kick. Falcao then robbed the ball of the goalkeeper before rounding him and slotting it for 1-0. The second goal came from a counter in stoppage time after they failed to make anything out of a free kick they got.

The win was crucial as Dynamo Kiev beat Auxerre 3-1 in the other group game. Gonna face Kiev away next while Dundee will host Auxerre IIRC.

Serie A: Matchday 3

BvsJ1.jpg

Average at home but pretty good away from home judging by how things are going at the moment. A comfortable 3-0 win at mid-table Bologna with Aquilani scoring yet again. That is 3 goals in 3 Serie A games. I think he did score one or two goals in the Europa League qualifying rounds but can't exactly remember it.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Nice start Jason, should easily make the top 4 with 3 wins out of 3 until now in the Serie A. Good luck with your story, will definitely be following it. :)

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
About time :p

Nice start to the story. Some good wins there and Falcao looks to be a very good signing. Good to see Aquilani find some form as well.

Got a bit lucky in that Europa League game though with two late goals :p

JBlues08

Club Captain
Serie A: Matchday 4

JvsC1.jpg

A decent 2-0 win over bottom club Cesena. Dominated the match from start to finish and created all the chances while Cesena didn't even have a single shot! Could have scored more if it weren't for their goalkeeper.

Serie A: Matchday 5

BvsJ2.jpg

Played very poorly in this game. Never really got at Bari. They created the better chances and deserved the win. Nuff said!

Europa League: Matchday 2

DKvsJ1.jpg

This game only got going in the second half A good passing move from a throw-in ended up with Cabaye blasting in his third goal for the club from about 20-25 yards out after being setup by Pjanic outside the penalty box.

Then, with eight minutes left, Shevchenko slided in the equaliser following a scramble from a corner. Overall, think I'm somewhat pleased with the draw away at Kiev despite conceding that late goal.

Elsewhere, Dundee United squeaked out a narrow 2-1 win over Auxerre. Next up, it's another away game(again!) against Auxerre while Dynamo Kiev will host Dundee at home.

Serie A: Matchday 6

JvsC2.jpg

It was all Cagliari from the start until Agostini was sent off for a two footed challenge. Then strangely enough, when Acquafresca went off injured, Cagliari did not make any changes and continued the game with just nine men! It took me awhile to finally get that first goal but only went on to score just one more goal through Pjanic's first goal for the club.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Good to see Pjanic on the score sheet finally. Cabaye meanwhile proves a sensational asset to your team already. Disappointing your only loss had to come against Bari, especially considering your yet to verse all the big guns from Italy. :p

Edit: Oh wait, Fio's already done and dusted for you. :p

JBlues08

Club Captain
Serie A: Matchday 7

JvsR1.jpg

Finally, a real entertaining match. It was a good performance all around and probably should have edged it. Thought the result might turn out like how I want when Falcao opened the scoring but unfortunately, Cicinho equalized from a free kick just 4 minutes later! Then Bonucci went and turned in a cross past Storari into the wrong net. Would have been gutted if Roma had won it and thankfully, De Ceglie - the left back - popped up with the equalizer from a corner with just eight minutes to go. Did hit the woodwork twice but I guess a draw is a fair result.

Europa League: Matchday 3

AvsJ1.jpg

Five shots. Three on target. Three goals! :mad

ELGJ.jpg

----------

Good to see Pjanic on the score sheet finally. Cabaye meanwhile proves a sensational asset to your team already. Disappointing your only loss had to come against Bari, especially considering your yet to verse all the big guns from Italy. :p

Edit: Oh wait, Fio's already done and dusted for you. :p

Considering Bari is the feeder club of Juventus, they should have just gave me the win! :lol

----------

Serie A: Matchday 8

IMvsJ1.jpg

A fantastic result! Three points behind Inter going into this game and certainly can't afford to lose this if I'm gonna challenge for the title or finish in the Top 4 with so many other teams around us. Inter were the favorites going into the game and decided to put more pressure on them the day before that and I guess it worked! :lol

Serie A: Matchday 9

GvsJ1.jpg

A good win away at Genoa who are on a poor run of form and also to remain on top of Serie A. Cabaye and Aquilane scored sensational long range strikes but the players were shooting from distance far too often for my liking!

SerieALTable1.jpg

Europa League: Matchday 4

JvsA1.jpg

Another draw against Auxerre! Scored only one goal from numerous chances and then paid the price for the lapses in concentration when defending which have been apparent in recent games. Thankfully, Dundee held Dynamo Kiev to a draw on the other side. Next game away at Dundee is crucial!

JBlues08

Club Captain
Serie A: Matchday 10

JvsC3.jpg

A catastrophic home defeat! The less said about this game, the better. Also, if you have noticed those recent results, the form now reads P9 W3 D4 L2 for me. Inconsistent to say the least. Next game? A trip to San Paolo.

Serie A: Matchday 11

NvsJ1.jpg

Obviously that red card changed the course of the game. It all started well when Aquilani scored in the opening minutes but I was pretty much on the back foot after that sending off. Decided to sit back and play on the counter but then got worried with the amount of shots they are having in the second half. Switched to the 4-2-4(albeit with 1 player less) to push them back but conceded two late goals. Plan backfired I suppose.

Serie A: Matchday 12

JvsP1.jpg

With back-to-back defeats, have to get back to winning ways. Only just though after that Bonucci diverted a low cross into the wrong net, again! :facepalm

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Ah, things seem to be getting slightly tougher for you now. The defeat against Chievo was a massive upset to say the least. Where do Juve lie in the table now?

JBlues08

Club Captain
Ah, things seem to be getting slightly tougher for you now. The defeat against Chievo was a massive upset to say the least. Where do Juve lie in the table now?

That 4-2-3-1 doesn't seem to be working that well. So, have changed to the 4-5-1, which have gotten me better results. Will post the league table soon.

----------

Serie A: Matchday 13

JvsC4.jpg

Another poor result but it's the first clean sheet after none in the last 8 games.

Serie A: Matchday 14

UvsJ1.jpg

A non-eventful game really. Both teams had 6 shots with just 1 on target. Thankfully, mine entered the back of the net.

Europa League: Matchday 5

DUvsJ1.jpg

Cabaye scored the winner against Udinese but fluffed his penalty here. A win here would have sealed my qualification and give me a chance to take spot from Kiev in the last game. In the end, Kiev took top spot with the draw here(they also beat Auxerre in the other game) while I have to get at least a point from the last game to qualify.

Serie A: Matchday 15

JvsP2.jpg

A really good come from behind win over high flying Palermo who were in second, 3 points ahead of me heading into this game and have beaten Inter at the San Siro before this. So, a great win and up to second now. :D

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Don't you get eliminated in the Europa League now, considering I wanna see how Liverpool fare there as well. :p
How bad are injuries in FM11 btw? Saw Pepe injured in R12, only for him to play the very next match. :p

JBlues08

Club Captain
Don't you get eliminated in the Europa League now, considering I wanna see how Liverpool fare there as well. :p

:lol We'll see.

How bad are injuries in FM11 btw? Saw Pepe injured in R12, only for him to play the very next match. :p

Some injuries are pretty minor. They may get injured in a match but be fine for the following one.

----------

Serie A: Matchday 16

SvsJ1.jpg

WDWDWD. That is my form at the moment in the last 6 games including this one. A decent result away especially after going down to 10 men but slightly disappointed after throwing away the lead twice!

Europa League: Matchday 6

JvsDK1.jpg

Is the Europa League much harder to play in than the Champions League??!! Crawled my way through to the KO stages with just 1 win and 5 draws! Dundee beat Auxerre in the other game but I got the point that I needed. Wouldn't exactly mind being KOed altogether but a run in the Europa League is nice.

This is how Group J finished:

ELGJ2.jpg

And the draw for the KO stages:

ELKOSD1.jpg

Brondby in the Last 32 and either Rosenborg or Dortmund awaits in Last 16. Couldn't have asked for a better draw myself but that is if I pick my form in the Europa League!

Serie A: Matchday 17

JvsL1-1.jpg

Finally, scored more than 2 goals at home! A convincing win and one that puts me sitting nicely in Top 4 with Lazio now further behind than before in 5th.

Now is the winter break and here how's the league table looks:

SerieALTable2.jpg

Not sure about our title chances with Inter now well 7 points clear at the top. Should be good enough to finish in the Top 4 though.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Yeah. David Goodwillie! What a legend :p

And good to see you starting to regain some form after that run of bad results. Hopefully you can challenge for the title come end of season.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Serie A: Matchday 18

AMvsJ1.jpg

A very harsh scoreline on us TBH. Both teams had chances but they took theirs but we didn't. Otherwise, there wasn't much difference between both teams in the game.

Serie A: Matchday 19

JvsB1.jpg

A comfortable 5-0 win against the bottom club team is nothing really to shout about but it was perhaps a victory needed after the recent defeat and one that felt better with Cabaye, unexpectedly, scoring a hat-trick!

Coppa Italia: Last 16

JvsB2.jpg

Good win against an in-form Bari coming into this game and revenge against them after the league defeat earlier this season! Sampdoria awaits in Turin in the quarter finals

Serie A: Matchday 20

JvsF1.jpg

The players played like crap in the first half and was perhaps lucky to be only 1-0 down at half time. Fired them during half time and managed to score 4 goals in a very good turnaround against the Violas! And it's now 3 consecutive wins with 2 coming in the league.

----------

Yeah. David Goodwillie! What a legend :p

And good to see you starting to regain some form after that run of bad results. Hopefully you can challenge for the title come end of season.

:lol Challenging for the title seems tough at the moment and how did you play Goodwillie in your Blackpool save?

JBlues08

Club Captain
Serie A: Matchday 21

LvsJ1.jpg

Perhaps I spoke too soon. :lol A bad day at the office all around.

Coppa Italia: Quarter Finals

JvsS1.jpg

My LUCKIEST win EVER in FM! Went down to nine men(again) and completely rode my luck! They created tons of chances and hit the woodwork 3 times! And then, Falcao delivered the sucker punch in extra time. You just couldn't write a script like that. :lol

Next up? A two-legged tie against AC Milan with the first leg being at the San Siro. In the other tie, Inter will face Palermo.

Serie A: Matchday 22

JvsB3.jpg

Two-nil up at HT but lapses in concentration allowed them to score! IF only I can revamp the entire squad right now especially that diabolical defence!!

Serie A: Matchday 23

CvsJ1.jpg

Was extremely relieved to get the win as much as anything.

Serie A: Matchday 24

JvsB4.jpg

Falcao scored yet more goals! That is 7 now in 8 games. That aside, another decent win against Bari after that Coppa Italia game earlier. Disappointed with the late goal conceded though.

Serie A: Matchday 25

CvsJ2.jpg

FALCAO! Nine in 8 games now! Putting that penalty given away by De Ceglie aside, it was pretty much a straightforward win against a relegation-threatened Cagliari.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Europa League: Last 32 (First Leg)

JvsB5.jpg

A simple win in the end. Wanted more(:p) but it's a good platform for the second leg that would be coming up after the Genoa game.

Serie A: Matchday 26

JvsG1.jpg

A solid 2-0 win. The win never really looked in doubt for this game after Krasic put me 1-0 up.

After the recent run of form, the table now looks like this:

SerieALTable3.jpg

Eight points clear of Milan in 3rd and 8 behind Inter in 1st. Fair to say that Inter are running away with the title. Milan are too far behind to challenge Inter while I have games coming up against Roma, Inter, Napoli, Palermo, Sampdoria, Udinese, Lazio and Milan. Need to beat Roma and Inter first(next two league games) and we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread