General Cricket Discussion

Yeah IPL is fun. They bring in some top level Int'l Music stars, and its a good music festival.
16open2.jpg

India revolves around three things viz Politics , Bollywood & Cricket and IPL is the fearsome mixture of the three and not to forget that It's a BCCI thing after all.

Last edited:
I think opening ceremonies don't really matter for TV viewers, but it really helps get the local crowd excited for the main event. I remember going to the opening ceremony of Asian Games in Hyd in '03. And it was not a massively extravagant affair, but it really gets you into "the spirit of the Games". After that I followed the Asians Games throughout its duration, even though I did not know of its existence until then.

It's quite pathetic that the World Cup is basically a 7 match series. The goons that run the ICC should be fired. I can make a better format, without compromising on the number of matches and actually making each and every match meaningful.

First off, get rid of these groups. Put 10 teams all in one group. How do you select the 10? Top 8 ranked teams qualify. The remainder play qualifying matches. The finalists are the two teams that enter the ten team WC.

Ten teams, One group.

Each team plays the other once. 9 matches per team. Fans are happy. Total number of matches is = 45 league games compared to the 42 now.

Top 4 teams qualify for the next stage. Teams placed first and second play against one another and the winner proceeds to the final. The third and fourth placed teams play a virtual QF. Winner of the game, plays the loser of the first qualifying match. Winner of the second eliminator makes the final. Then, the final. Total games? 49. How many games this world cup? 49.

In the format I proposed each of the 49 games has a meaning, not so sure you can say that about this format. Plus, you eliminate all grey areas of a group of death etc. and most importantly a fair champion comes out on top with the fans left satisfied thanks to the number of meaningful games. Even the associates can't complain.

It's quite pathetic that the World Cup is basically a 7 match series. The goons that run the ICC should be fired. I can make a better format, without compromising on the number of matches and actually making each and every match meaningful.

First off, get rid of these groups. Put 10 teams all in one group. How do you select the 10? Top 8 ranked teams qualify. The remainder play qualifying matches. The finalists are the two teams that enter the ten team WC.

Ten teams, One group.

Each team plays the other once. 9 matches per team. Fans are happy. Total number of matches is = 45 league games compared to the 42 now.

Top 4 teams qualify for the next stage. Teams placed first and second play against one another and the winner proceeds to the final. The third and fourth placed teams play a virtual QF. Winner of the game, plays the loser of the first qualifying match. Winner of the second eliminator makes the final. Then, the final. Total games? 49. How many games this world cup? 49.

In the format I proposed each of the 49 games has a meaning, not so sure you can say that about this format. Plus, you eliminate all grey areas of a group of death etc. and most importantly a fair champion comes out on top with the fans left satisfied thanks to the number of meaningful games. Even the associates can't complain.

four groups of four, top two qualify for the quarter finals. only way of doing it.

also a ten team world cup is a terrible idea; and it needs to be larger to play the role that its meant to in terms of spreading the sport. we already have a shorter tournament for the top eight in the champions trophy: the world cup doesn't need to play that role

This format might not provide as exciting a group stage as say the 4 groups of 4 (see exits of India and Pakistan in '07), but what it will make sure of is that the best teams reach the knockout stages (traditional top 8 featuring in the 2011 knockouts), it's easier for Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the associates to cause an upset in 1 of 2 games vs a top 8 side and clean up the other minnow than it is for them to win 2 of 4 games vs a top 8 side and then win 2 games against the other 2 minnows in the group.

Last edited:
Instead of saying 'the top 8 Test-playing nations qualify automatically', as well, why not just the top 5? If the West Indies and Pakistan, for example, had to play in a qualifying tournament with Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland, etc. then there is a chance there might be an upset, and they would have to work hard to make sure they get there.

Instead of saying 'the top 8 Test-playing nations qualify automatically', as well, why not just the top 5?
Because they want to be slightly less arbitrary than just saying that India, Australia and England qualify, while still guaranteeing all three a spot? The one point that keeps England rather than New Zealand in the top 5 for ODIs would be worrying.

Because they want to be slightly less arbitrary than just saying that India, Australia and England qualify, while still guaranteeing all three a spot? The one point that keeps England rather than New Zealand in the top 5 for ODIs would be worrying.
If we had to qualify and earn our place then I'd be all for that. Perhaps not for the 2019 World Cup though, since we're hosting it. Hosts should qualify automatically.

Ten teams, One group.

Basically what's going to happen in 2019, although the groups may get split, not too sure.

four groups of four, top two qualify for the quarter finals. only way of doing it.

also a ten team world cup is a terrible idea; and it needs to be larger to play the role that its meant to in terms of spreading the sport. we already have a shorter tournament for the top eight in the champions trophy: the world cup doesn't need to play that role

Totally agree with you. Should be as many as teams as possible. Smaller teams will never get meaningful experience unless they can enter the World Cup!

Yeah ^ as the popular opinion is, groups of 4 is the way to go. I think few will argue that the FIFA World Cup has the best format and I think that Cricket should follow it.

I am not a big fan of cutting down on the no. of participants as frankly it makes no sense. How is it going to help the growth of the sport. I do see the sense that no one really wants to watch UAE play 7 matches, and that is where the 4 teams per group format comes in handy. First cricket comes to 16 teams, and even later when it goes to 20 teams, the groups can be 5 teams in 4 groups. Then later as the teams expand to 24, Cricket could borrow the format from USA '94.

That is the natural way for cricket to expand. However cutting it down to 10 teams, instead of coming up with a better format is well ... so ICC !!

Users who are viewing this thread