General Cricket Discussion

Even Google's feeling the heat...
upload_2015-2-14_22-4-47-png.139537

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-14_22-4-47.png
    upload_2015-2-14_22-4-47.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 127
To collectively respond to some points above about it not being the fault of DRS, but that of the Umpires.

First off, the Umpires are part of DRS, and very much a part of the system. The DRS doesnt work independant of the umpires. Ultimately its the umpires who have to adjudicate based on the evidence that the tech presents. So even if the tech works perfectly but the umpires dont know how to interpret that data, its still a failed system overall. Picture sending a misison to another planet, which works great, and send back lots of interesting data, but the scientists have no idea how to interpret that data, then what use is the mission. Its still a total failure.

Same with DRS. Whether it is the tech that fails, or the umpires, who fail to interpret the data correctly or even more appallingly fail to even know the rules about what happens once a review is invoked, its still a failure of the system.

There is an overall system in place, which comprises of both tech and umpires. If either fails, the overall system still fails. Before putting this system in place, first make sure that everyone knows what they are doing !!

Thats the mere min. one would expect. ICC cannot make it up as they go along. Its the World Fking Cup.

Well then I come to the conclusion that this whole experiment of humans making on-field decisions that's gone on for 100+ years has failed because if there's 1 thing I've noticed over the years it's the fact time and again they have failed to make the correct decisions, whether its their eyes and ears failing them or their failure to interpret the data provided by their eyes and ears, it's still a failure of the system.

I suggest Ultron and his army of bots to replace these humans.

Last edited:
this isn't even a problem with drs: the situation would be equally valid if an umpire gave a decision on a catch but was then told by the square leg umpire (or the catching fielder in an ideal world the catching fielder) that the ball bounced. As soon as a wicket is given, the ball is dead by definition - that's why you can't get both batsmen out. If you have to overturn that decision for any reason - may it be DRS, or a human telling you that you made a mistake - then you can't retroactively declare a portion of the game live when everyone on the field assumed that the ball was dead.

To collectively respond to some points above about it not being the fault of DRS, but that of the Umpires.

First off, the Umpires are part of DRS, and very much a part of the system. The DRS doesnt work independant of the umpires. Ultimately its the umpires who have to adjudicate based on the evidence that the tech presents. So even if the tech works perfectly but the umpires dont know how to interpret that data, its still a failed system overall. Picture sending a misison to another planet, which works great, and send back lots of interesting data, but the scientists have no idea how to interpret that data, then what use is the mission. Its still a total failure.

Same with DRS. Whether it is the tech that fails, or the umpires, who fail to interpret the data correctly or even more appallingly fail to even know the rules about what happens once a review is invoked, its still a failure of the system.

There is an overall system in place, which comprises of both tech and umpires. If either fails, the overall system still fails. Before putting this system in place, first make sure that everyone knows what they are doing !!

Thats the mere min. one would expect. ICC cannot make it up as they go along. Its the World Fking Cup.

Presumably you're an Indian fan, hence this nonsense post. This was a human error, that would have not occurred had the two on field umpires remembered the laws. Laws that are in place regardless of DRS, as IceAgeComing has highlighted perfectly.

Presumably you're an Indian fan, hence this nonsense post. This was a human error, that would have not occurred had the two on field umpires remembered the laws. Laws that are in place regardless of DRS, as IceAgeComing has highlighted perfectly.

How does me being an Indian fan make this post nonsense? You are clearly too much in love with this nonsense of a system, to see its obvious flaws. Oh the tech didn't fail, its only the umpires who have no fking idea what they are doing. As if that is some fking consolation. What is the point of having all this tech, if the humans who are to finally adjudicate don't have a fking clue how to interpret the data. Its a failed system overall.

That Akmal DRS decision today, I bet you think that was a great decision too?

The estimated viewership for the Ind Pak game worldwide was over a billion !!

The superbowl which is said to be the biggest annual sporting event in the world, in comparison, got an average viewership globally of a mere 114 million !!

Cricket doing well for itself.

How does me being an Indian fan make this post nonsense? You are clearly too much in love with this nonsense of a system, to see its obvious flaws. Oh the tech didn't fail, its only the umpires who have no fking idea what they are doing. As if that is some fking consolation. What is the point of having all this tech, if the humans who are to finally adjudicate don't have a fking clue how to interpret the data. Its a failed system overall.

That Akmal DRS decision today, I bet you think that was a great decision too?

That doesn't make the system a fail, that's a fail on the behalf of the ICC umpires committee.

Look the Tech and Umpires are both part of the DRS System. DRS doesn't work without the tech, and DRS equally doesn't work without the Human Element which then has to interpret and act on the data the tech provides. The Human element is thus as much a part of the DRS System as the tech is.

Why can you ppl not understand this fundamental aspect. You seem to think that the tech is the only thing that makes up DRS. No, DRS is incomplete till the Umpires know fully well how to use the data DRS is giving out. I can bet you all sides would be livid if one of their batsmen was given out in the same way Akmal was.

Its like building a great space exploration mission and sending it to probe a planet, and then realising, oops, no one has any idea how to interpret the data recived back and tell us the findings. Its still a failure of the mission, but just getting the date is pointless without know what to do with it. So just as both the rocket and the scientists are equally a part of the mission and the mission fails if either one of the two doesnt do their job, similarly the Tech and Umpires are equally part of the DRS system. One doesn't work without the other, and the DRS system overall fails.

If ICC wants to implement DRS, then teaching the Umpires how to interpret and bringing a uniformality to the interpretations is as important as getting the tech right. There cannot be a situation where two diff umpires will look at the same set of replays and arrive at diff conclusions.

This is what happened with Akmal, and I am sure not many umpires on seeing that replay would have ruled him as out. These are the incosistancies in DRS that need to go, before it can be a universally acceptable system. Most importantly the WC is not the place where these experiments need to be done.

I think you need to put down the BCCI kool-aid and stop drinking so much of it.

Your example is like saying that we should get rid of seat belts in cars, because they only save lives 98%* of the time, rather than 100% of the time.

* Disclaimer: I admit, I don't know this figure.

Users who are viewing this thread