General Cricket Discussion

The conspiracy theorists have chosen a pretty safe bet as the final two teams. Will hardly be a surprise to see the two best teams in the world in the final.
They've 'predicted' the outcome of each match though, not just the final, and have got all but one right so far. They even predicted Ireland beating West Indies. However, the 'fixed' matches said that Pakistan should have beaten the Windies last night.

To be honest, apart from the Windies v Ireland and Windies v Pakistan games, every game has been easy to predict a winner. So they've got a 50% record in the 2 games that were hard to call.

Lol I guess people will continue to redefine choking just to fit SA into it no matter how we lose..

It is not a choke, its a bad performance. Get over trying to label any loss by SA as a choke.

Well you were doing it in a team discussion thread so I just brought that topic here.:p

"An act in which a team or a person collapse when they are expected to win no matter what the other team does."Source

Well I didn't know what exactly a choker is, I supposed it to be a well performing team failing at big occasion and yeah all I knew that was something I gained from the tales of 1999's semi final between AUS and SA. Anyway if we agree to accept the definition one above, I'd just want to add - 'when a team is widely expected to win on big occasions'. Because giving some team a bad name on losing just a single game in a rare time doesn't make any sense.

1."An act in which a team or a person collapse when they are expected to win no matter what the other team does."
So Zimbos are choked after they lost to SA since their fans expected them to win? Nope, they lose many times and a single time defeat to the same team full of high profiled players should not really be a worse thing they ever faced.

2."An act in which a team or a person collapse when they are widely expected to win no matter what the other team does."
Aus choked because odds were low on their side against Zimbos since it was highly believed they would win. Here Aus won a lot of games over the years and after one bad game lets all criticize them? Lol.

For me this one truly makes a sense:
"A big occasion at which a team or a person collapse when they are widely expected to win no matter what the other team does."

I reckon this is a rightful example of it:
a choke is also when it costs you a chance to win the tournament, while South Africa will still qualify from their group here. If it happens in the quarters on, then its a choke

That's what I think it should be defined as in a sense making manner. It is not something I'm redefining terms, although it is first time I'm speaking about it.

Last edited:
yeah; south africa losing in a close game to new zealand/australia in the final wouldn't be a choke; them collapsing to 127/9 chasing 200 would be

Reactions: Ohm
^Well that's one major point. Do everything right for half of the game, suddenly topple and lose well handed match(choked).

Last night was @ tight game afgan vs Lanka,lanka need to rethink if they want semi berth
They should thaxs PERERRAS 47 off 26 more than veteran jayawardenes .match saving 100

Last night was @ tight game afgan vs Lanka,lanka need to rethink if they want semi berth
They should thaxs PERERRAS 47 off 26 more than veteran jayawardenes .match saving 100

SL have looked far weaker than I thought they would, I expected them to be the best Asian team in the tournament, looks like I was wrong lol

SL V ENG is a very interesting game. I think Eng will get the win.

Yeah !! The Fixing theory is absolutely rubbish.
I think so
When ever Pakistan beaten they spreading fake news about fixing, today India beat southafrica so newyourks Pakistan forum
Says match is fixed, in Indias favors coz bookies were seen long time ago with Dhawan and Kohli.

Pakistan are jealous of Indias progress I wish during next game rain came so at least they gain 1 point, during last WC of yester years, rain help them
During crucial match.

11001927_10153067144787999_2012470264897868426_n.jpg

:lol

Has anyone seen the posts floating around on Twitter that claim the World Cup is fixed? I wouldn't normally pay any attention to them but they have been weirdly accurate so far. They all seem to say South Africa will beat Australia in the final.

Well we have discussed and dismissed this in the "Group B..." World Cup discussion thread. Its just a fake one. Both the Pakistan vs WI and the India vs South Africa games have proved that message to be completely wrong.

the format of this competition is pathetic. how in the group stage can there be only one game a day and teams going up to a week between games? it's bloody ODI cricket, they don't need that long to recover. the group stage should be much more intensive, and there should be much more cricket on each day - 2 games minimum.

I have to say the proposal to reduce teams to 10 is just ludicrous. Its the 'World Cup', whats the point if its played in the same format as the CT.

Also I have been very impressed with teams like Ireland, Afghanistan, and even UAE impressed with the bat against Zimbabwe. I, and I am sure many fans around the world, want to see more of them, and for a non test playing nation to leave a mark like that is just great. Gone are the days when non-test nations, just made up the numbers.

Drawing a parallel from Football, any nation apart from Europe and South America, made up just numbers not that long ago, but today there are no easy matches anymore. Just see what Costa Rica did last year. The same is slowly happening in cricket. No side can take a win for granted against the non-test sides. Yet Football has slowly increased the number of participants, while cricket is thinking of reducing the number.

The gap is slowly shrinking, and fr this growth to continue to happen the non-test sides need to play more against the top sides. How does reducing the no. of teams help with that is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread