General Cricket Discussion

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not sure why having a discussion about the best batsman of the tournament in the appropriate tournament thread needed Mod intervention, but whatevs.

@bigred Had a whole post prepped and ready to go in reply before the thread was closed and I've seemingly lost it now, in short it seems like you got pulled into a whole different discussion midst another and me likewise might've unfairly targeted you though I did find your post that made me jump in a tad condescending. :p

I agree. Bit strange that the plug is pulled on that kind of thing. But essentially I think my last post basically said something like:

It looks like myself and a couple of others prefer Root and most Indian fans prefer Kohli. Leave it at that.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You guys can still continue your discussion here. Thread isn't the matter of differences.

You ratted on us man .. tsk tsk :spy

Plus the discussion was extremely relevant to that thread - performances in "World T20". Now the link is broken[DOUBLEPOST=1460039081][/DOUBLEPOST]Talking of disagreements, where is @PokerAce at :P

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I agree. Bit strange that the plug is pulled on that kind of thing. But essentially I think my last post basically said something like:

It looks like myself and a couple of others prefer Root and most Indian fans prefer Kohli. Leave it at that.
In a best player across all formats scenario it's very hard to call between Kohli and Root, both have had atrocious Test performances with Kohli in England and West Indies (though this was 5 years ago) and Root in Australia and New Zealand, then you bring in Kohli's real big flaw in his Test game which seems to be getting those massive scores that we've grown accustom to with the generation before them with the likes of Amla and ABD, but all that said I think I'd give Kohli the edge just about with his much superior limited overs' game, undisputed #1 right now for me in that format.

I'm sure we can all agree that Kane Williamson is ahead of both if we expanded the discussion beyond just Kohli and Root.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
In a best player across all formats scenario it's very hard to call between Kohli and Root, both have had atrocious Test performances with Kohli in England and West Indies (though this was 5 years ago) and Root in Australia and New Zealand, then you bring in Kohli's real big flaw in his Test game which seems to be getting those massive scores that we've grown accustom to with the generation before them with the likes of Amla and ABD, but all that said I think I'd give Kohli the edge just about with his much superior limited overs' game, undisputed #1 right now for me in that format.

I'm sure we can all agree that Kane Williamson is ahead of both if we expanded the discussion beyond just Kohli and Root.

I've seen Williamson play one big innings in a BIG GAME in limited overs. (Aus vs NZ 2015 WC)

I have massive respect for him as well, but Root and Kohli seem to have a serious BOTTLE for the big days and big games. Smith is there too, but I have serious doubts over his longevity at this level because of his technique.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I've seen Williamson play one big innings in a BIG GAME in limited overs. (Aus vs NZ 2015 WC)

I have massive respect for him as well, but Root and Kohli seem to have a serious BOTTLE for the big days and big games. Smith is there too, but I have serious doubts over his longevity at this level because of his technique.

I think he is talking about Williamson the test player who I also think is probably the best player right now.

S

Satan666

Interesting discussion both are certainly gifted, the major difference however is Kohli's ability to disect the field, finding gaps and thwarting all the field settings.

Root is good but not great, take it with a pinch of salt cuz havent seen much of Root as Kholi.

As for Kane he has developed alot but he lacks the natural these guys have.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I didn't close that T20 WC thread. And that is why we ask people to report the posts and not tag staff members. From now on if I see someone tagging staff unnecessarily I will hand them a warning.

Epic

Panel of Selectors

It all depends on what sort of math you're using to evaluate a player across all formats and how much value you're putting onto Tests vs limited overs, I tend to value Tests more as it's a longer format and we've seen with the emergence of T20 cricket just how much easier it is for the batsmen once the number of deliveries faced on average is reduced, not to say other aspects don't become more difficult but I think you get my point, so I use limited overs as more of a tiebreaker of sorts.

I'll give you Steve Smith tho, tends to go under the radar because of like you said his technique and that's where perception comes into it, years of watching technique and timing beat hand speed and power, we're simply not quick to give the man his due and if he gets any sort of prolonged success his technique could very well be the 1 to emulate for the future.
I think he is talking about Williamson the test player who I also think is probably the best player right now.
Yep, he's made runs everywhere as far as I know and only other batsman of the 4 that can say that for himself is Steve Smith.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Too add my two pennies, the pitches India usually play in are batting havens relative to England. Saying that, I would rather have Kohli in a chase over Root, but would take Root when setting a target.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
First Dhoni, then Azhar and now Sachin's story. Although this looks more like a short film rather than a full fledged movie.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I came to know recently that Luke Ronchi also played for Australia. But I couldn't find any video. Does any1 have it

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Just a quick question here; Correct me if I'm wrong but the two final sides of a 50 over world cup face each other in a series shortly after the world cup right? So what happens if England and Australia are in the world cup finals together? Would they face each other in a series outside of the ashes, or do the world cups line up with the ashes happening after anyway?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread