General Cricket Discussion

Don't see the problem with it, there is no way you want to spend 4 years playing a championship only to have the final end in a draw and have other calculations come into it.

As for the people's dream 11 in that article, dear oh dear how does Sobers and Viv Richards miss out.

I'd love to see a timeless test match. One of the few good thoughts by ICC.

I would love to see Timeless test as finals. It will be awesom

I can't see anything wrong with the idea. Some of my non-cricket liking friends make a good point, what is the point on playing for five days when no one wins half the time?

I actually liked this when I read it yesterday. A positive thought, I'd say. As Sylvester said, no way one would want a final to end in a draw. You have to have an outright winner.

I can't see anything wrong with the idea. Some of my non-cricket liking friends make a good point, what is the point on playing for five days when no one wins half the time?
Only when you are at peace with this, will you be at peace with the universe

I would love to see a timeless test. As far as I can see it would be the only fair way of deciding the final.

It would be interesting to see thats for sure, could get rather boring though if one team has a huge first innings lead and just bats right through their second innings.

With a timeless test you don't get sporting declarations, or the pressure of chasing a big score on day 5. Batsman would bat as slow as they like and score at like 2RPO. There wouldn't be much initiative. Wicket-taking bowlers, though, would be worth their weight in gold.

I'm not sure where I stand on the timeless test thing.

^ Possibly a RPO minimal expectation to be met?

Though I very much like the concept of it, just in practice it might be a borefest.

how does having a "timeless" final destroy test cricket?

1. Going to make the game boring. Imaging chanders or dravid batting 3 days
2. There is going to be no declarations.
3. Imagine waiting 1 week for rain to stop and continue with the game
4. Flat wickets will make it a timeless batting paradise.
5. No one has time to sit and watch one test match for 20 days.

i still dont get why one timeless test will destroy test cricket.

you've seemed to forgotten that there are also decent bowlers around the world and considering it's a final the teams in it would have to have in-form bowlers in the side so no matter what type of pitch it is it should never be too difficult to bowl out a side.

also of-course there will be declarations, the batsmen aren't machines eventually they will get tired and if they want to win the match they have to end their innings.

and regarding the 7 day rain stop and 20 day test match... that is just absurd.

I think teamindia has said before that he doesn't care much for test cricket anyways so just ignore him. He doesn't like a 5 day contest, let alone a timeless one.

I honestly don't know where I stand on this. I think it would have to be a very green pitch so that batsman are forced to take the initiative to score rather than waste a number of balls and then get out for close to nothing. Also, wickets would be taken more often.

How would you guys feel about the point scoring system that's in place in the County Championship? I haven't ever watched an English FC match so I don't know how good it is apart from the ICC games I have played. What are the flaws with it? I imagine that it is very useful when there is a clearly massive gulf between teams in a draw. However, I would also imagine that it's not the most useful tool when teams are very evenly matched in a draw and are separated by 1 or 2 points. I wouldn't want a winner to be decided like that.

A timeless test must not have a flat pitch. That will just be awful.

They need to produce a good wicket for the timeless test, that'll make it fun.

I don't see anything wrong in the idea of a 'timeless' test, but as many said, it should be played on a green pitch. Just imagine the bowlers and their team-mates sweating out on the ground for 4-5 days if it's a flat pitch and then asked to come out to bat.

1. Going to make the game boring. Imaging chanders or dravid batting 3 days
What's wrong in it. If it's not a pure flat track then even Dravid won't be able to survive for so long. And if he does, then you gotta appreciate him.

2. There is going to be no declarations.
The idea is proposed just for the final imo, and so I feel no declarations is not an issue. Each team will potentially give it's best shot with the bat.

3. Imagine waiting 1 week for rain to stop and continue with the game
1 week long break is pretty rare. And if this is an issue, play the final at MCG with the floodlights on.

4. Flat wickets will make it a timeless batting paradise.
I agree. It should not be a flat wicket under any circumstance.

5. No one has time to sit and watch one test match for 20 days.
If everything goes well, then a test match will go on for a MAXIMUM of 10 days. I think I exaggerated by saying 10 days, probably 7-8 days.

Users who are viewing this thread