General Cricket Discussion

When i said "smart" cricket fans i was trying to display any condescending attitude towards anyone, so lets get out of they way before this turns into to something other than a cricket discussion.

However i would think most fans would accept with aforementioned world-cups that those teams weren't the best ODI teams in the world at the time of their triumphs. They just had good tournament. A team like India 1983 didnt have too much bragging rights given that a few months after their triumph the real # 1 team of the time destroyed them home and away in tests and ODIs.

When i said "smart" cricket fans i was trying to display any condescending attitude towards anyone, so lets get out of they way before this turns into to something other than a cricket discussion.

That sentence doesn't really make sense. I'm still not sure whether you were trying to be condescending or not.

Forget i said "smart cricket fans" then and replace that portion of post with:

"The bragging rights that occurs after a team wins the world cup, i would hope mean nothing overly significant to most cricket fans, since i'd expect most cricket fans to put a teams world-cup victory into the fair context of their standing in world cricket at the time. Since the winner of world cup may have just been the best team during a tournament & on the day of a final.

Are you willing to move on now sir Themer?

In whatever sport, when you win the World Championship, you get to be the world champion. It's a fact. You may claim that you don't accept the bragging rights that go with that. You may claim that most/real/whatever cricket fans agree with you. But no-one denies that the football/rugby World Cup winners are world champions. No-one denies that the cycling World Championship winner is the world champion. It makes no difference what they lose subsequently - apart from the next World Championship!

That's what a Test World Championship would achieve. And that's why it's a good idea! ;)

In whatever sport, when you win the World Championship, you get to be the world champion. It's a fact. You may claim that you don't accept the bragging rights that go with that. You may claim that most/real/whatever cricket fans agree with you. But no-one denies that the football/rugby World Cup winners are world champions. No-one denies that the cycling World Championship winner is the world champion. It makes no difference what they lose subsequently - apart from the next World Championship!

That's what a Test World Championship would achieve. And that's why it's a good idea! ;)

I wouldn't like to see that formula in test cricket for determining champions. Its cool with ODI & T20 since those matches are finished within a day just like those other sports world-cups.

Plus given i am one of those fans that believes that the current test ranking system is faulty and should be scrapped. The same ranking system in which the the top 4 teams will be selected in criteria according to the ICC for the play-offs for the test championships, that opens another can of words in which i'd be skeptical whether the current top 4 teams may not be the best 4.

As it stands now AUS are 5th and SRI are in the top 4. If the the play-off were held 2moro SRI would be in which is crap IMO, given that SRI 4th place ranking is faulty given they have not played away from home enough & won the earn such a high ranking.

Just stick to situation that we have now with current IND vs ENG series and recent IND vs SA series, in which the two best performing teams based on performances home and away, clash in series to determine a best. (Teams get extremely, motivated for such series with such a ranking on the line. England have been eyeing their current series vs IND since they won the Ashes last winter)

If that series still cant decide a # 1 one, thats fine too since its not imperative to have a team herald as the # 1 whether huge or marginal. The cricket world can certainly survive with a situation of having fluctuation at the top of test rankings. Instead of trying to find a # 1 just for the sake of it based on a faulty ranking system or a ad hoc world test championship

My two cents..

Did anyone see the thing in the news (NZers) about the cricket player with no arms?

cricketer-1.jpg

Did anyone see the thing in the news (NZers) about the cricket player with no arms?

Yeah, its quite amazing really.

How’s that? No hands, no no-balls

Yea that's the guy; there was video of him bowling and batting on tv. Rather amazing

Users who are viewing this thread