General Cricket Discussion

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Nothing about a private league, Sindh Premier League, being allowed by the PCB for some reason.
I had no idea, I like the concept tho. It's like the state leagues in India. Obviously PCB abolished Sindh Cricket Association, so it has to be run privately. Although by the looks if it, there are quite a few non-Sindhi players, so it looks more like a watered down National T20 than a regional tournament.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I had no idea, I like the concept tho. It's like the state leagues in India. Obviously PCB abolished Sindh Cricket Association, so it has to be run privately. Although by the looks if it, there are quite a few non-Sindhi players, so it looks more like a watered down National T20 than a regional tournament.
It’s just shady, knowing Pakistan. And it was sanctioned by Zaka Ashraf, whose party is in power in Sindh.
Also nothing on domestic players not being paid on time despite PCB raking in record revenue, or the current tensions regarding NOCs for foreign leagues

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Fantastic article here from Jarrod Kimber

Tagging @Bevab @ddrap14 and @wasteyouryouth in particular, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts
I try to keep up with those writers that I enjoy, although I'm not prepared to subscribe to The Cricketer for George Dobell. I gave up a lot of my subscriptions like that last year cause I couldn't really afford them.

Good writers all in one place however would probably convince me otherwise.

Remember where JK tried kicked off the 99.94 on YouTube, it's how I got into Caribbean Cricket Podcast (I doubt there's anyone covering West Indies cricket at the depth they are) and still follow them, likewise Bharat Sunderasan from being on YouTube with Kimber. There's certainly things out there but a lot of it are probably part timers (like I believe CCP are).

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I try to keep up with those writers that I enjoy, although I'm not prepared to subscribe to The Cricketer for George Dobell. I gave up a lot of my subscriptions like that last year cause I couldn't really afford them.

Good writers all in one place however would probably convince me otherwise.

Remember where JK tried kicked off the 99.94 on YouTube, it's how I got into Caribbean Cricket Podcast (I doubt there's anyone covering West Indies cricket at the depth they are) and still follow them, likewise Bharat Sunderasan from being on YouTube with Kimber. There's certainly things out there but a lot of it are probably part timers (like I believe CCP are).

A good thing to start would be for Kimber (or anyone, really) to make a site that aggregates or links to good articles on cricket from these esteemed writers, something like what TheBrowser does. It’s a lot more feasible and can be a good benchmark to assess if there’s a demand for The Cricketer.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
A good thing to start would be for Kimber (or anyone, really) to make a site that aggregates or links to good articles on cricket from these esteemed writers, something like what TheBrowser does. It’s a lot more feasible and can be a good benchmark to assess if there’s a demand for The Cricketer.
I do wonder how much people are aware of what's out there already. I regularly watch the Wisden podcast (daily round ups of test matches they cover). It's very England centric but Wisden is one of the most iconic names in cricket. Yet, they have just 36k subscribers. Likewise The Cricketer has 8k.

Could be they aren't doing a good enough job to advertise themselves or provide more appealing content, but also that what they are covering is just for a limited audience.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I do wonder how much people are aware of what's out there already. I regularly watch the Wisden podcast (daily round ups of test matches they cover). It's very England centric but Wisden is one of the most iconic names in cricket. Yet, they have just 36k subscribers. Likewise The Cricketer has 8k.
I kind of get that with Wisden; it's a brand most associated with the most anorak of cricket fans, usually skewing older. So that's pretty reasonable.

However, that number for The Cricketer is absolutely shocking, especially as it had a place in the ecosystem as a sort of monthly Wisden for casuals for so long

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Fantastic article here from Jarrod Kimber

Tagging @Bevab @ddrap14 and @wasteyouryouth in particular, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts
Hmmm... uni has been causing me some mental challenges recently... do I do something stupid?

Makes me wish for someone to properly cover Ranji Trophy too.
The lack of Ranji stats not paywalled on Cricket Archive is something that will probably push me into continuing my Aussie playthrough into a full savefile instead of trying with India instead (England being already taken by someone better than I)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I kind of get that with Wisden; it's a brand most associated with the most anorak of cricket fans, usually skewing older. So that's pretty reasonable.

However, that number for The Cricketer is absolutely shocking, especially as it had a place in the ecosystem as a sort of monthly Wisden for casuals for so long
I think The Cricketer's content amounts to 'Ask George' which is a basically a copy of the end of the day content he did when he was at Cricinfo.

Wisden certainly has a wider range of content but it's still largely just a podcast. They could certainly try to appeal to a broader audience but I guess it depends what people want. I don't know if people younger than me are interested in that sort of content and people older than me probably still think YouTube is just for watching cat videos or don't even engage with it in the same way.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Hmmm... uni has been causing me some mental challenges recently... do I do something stupid?

The lack of Ranji stats not paywalled on Cricket Archive is something that will probably push me into continuing my Aussie playthrough into a full savefile instead of trying with India instead (England being already taken by someone better than I)
Tbf, you know a guy with CricketArchive access

I think The Cricketer's content amounts to 'Ask George' which is a basically a copy of the end of the day content he did when he was at Cricinfo.

Wisden certainly has a wider range of content but it's still largely just a podcast. They could certainly try to appeal to a broader audience but I guess it depends what people want. I don't know if people younger than me are interested in that sort of content and people older than me probably still think YouTube is just for watching cat videos or don't even engage with it in the same way.
And it's no wonder that the Cricketer's content is so limited if they are essentially trying to run the whole thing off 8,000 subscriptions

Bevab

Staff Member

Could be they aren't doing a good enough job to advertise themselves or provide more appealing content, but also that what they are covering is just for a limited audience.

I don’t know if it’s my ignorance or the lack of popularity of The Cricketer but I initially believed it to be a hypothetical name for a potential The Athletic variant of cricket instead of an actual, existing thing.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I don’t know if it’s my ignorance or the lack of popularity of The Cricketer but I initially believed it to be a hypothetical name for a potential The Athletic variant of cricket instead of an actual, existing thing.
It's been going for over 100 years, I used to buy it sometimes when I was younger.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Sindh Premier League

Shahid Afridi is still playing and hit a 50(32), arguably better than he did during his playing days. Though the quality of the cricket seems worrying - one of the spinners seems like he is chucking.

Users who are viewing this thread