Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Like everything, we will give it time to settle down before resorting to making any changes.

From our perspective, nothing changed with the way the ball comes off the bat from those specific shots.

We've tweaking the way Pro and Veteran difficulties work with regards to leniency and aiding of footwork, which may effect how you're timing the shots now.

Change and difference, doesn't mean bad and remember we have JUST pushed this patch so we need people to get used to every change made as well. We need to fully assess what people are getting across 3 platforms before making a change too. It's worth noting that people who have been playing PC with patch 2 have not noted the ball coming off the bat in the air, perspectives can change dependent on what system you have played on or if at all (we've noticed this quite strongly in the aftermath of patch 2).

We will assess things after the dust has settled.

I think the issue that is emerging is that the way the catching system works needs to be refined a bit. At the moment it just seems if the ball is in the air it's a pair of choices going as:

Is it near enough the player for there to be a chance?
- Yes: Got to A
- No: The ball keeps going

A: Did the player pick the direction on the stick:
- Yes: The chance is caught
- No: The player still gets a hand to it, regardless of the difficulty

I think the issue is exactly that. Yes, there are some great caught and bowleds, and some amazing catches in the covers and at mid on and off, but, if the ball is close to them in the air it won't always simply be a case of them getting a hand to it with the only question being if it's caught.

I think it should be rolled more into the catching system a bit. Always getting a hand to it for some chances, particularly for high balls, or ones at the slips and keeper (straight at them) is fine, but it would be nice if there was some chance that if the chance was missed it was completely missed and the ball just went on it's merry way. It could be that if you're close on such tough chances, but not enough to have the ball caught (with the stick) that it would be a hand to it, but too far away and it's just a complete miss.

This could open up the drive more as well without much change to the ball physics, and allow caught and bowled to remain in the game in a realistic manner. If you got it spot on, or close to it, there would be a proper catching chance, otherwise the ball would just fly past the keeper. The same for mid on and off, as well as the covers. It would also add a bit of reward to those more risky shots to justify them a bit, as currently the drive is far riskier than the potential runs could ever justify because the fielders if they haven't caught it, will still always have stopped it due to how catches are made.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
This. After playing for a few hours on PS3 (mostly batting), I have noticed it's not just th pull/hook & cut shots which are hit in the air, though they need fixing the most. Even cover drives go up in the air and I was caught out a few times when I hit fully pitched deliveries (yellow and almost yorkers) in the covers region. Shots definitely do tend to go a lot more in the air compared to pre-patch 2, but surprisingly the shots off the leg don't go in the air that much. In nutshell, the leg side flicks have been fixed but other shots need a bit of tweaking now. @BigAntStudios (Ross), @HBK619, would appreciate it if these tweaks (especially cut & pull/hook shots) can be part of patch 3.

----------

I would add cover drive to the list as well but it's not as bad as cut & pull/hook shots.

It doesn't leave a lot of shot options. :)

grkrama

National Board President
I think the solution for the prob you have stated alberts is more related to field setting, with proper field setting for the correct format the AI can definitely keep you in check while letting you play your shots, as i have experienced in matches were its making proper field setting choices.

The issue that's being discussed is mostly about the way the ball is coming off the bat for drives without triggers, if it can bound of the pitch, it will reduce the whole you either get caught or not situation with bowler but also prevent exploitation of straight drive for boundary, the ideal solution would be to make the timing window narrower for perfect straight dives, while allowing a good leniency to play it straight such that it just doesn't glide straight to the bowler whatever the height but comes off the pitch too.This will allow the playing in the V concept of cricket to be approached more easily, right now im playing legside flicks,pulls and cover drives to settle than playing straight. the feel of just hitting a drive off the pitch would certainly add a lot more to the already great game.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I personally think that, bowlers especially, anticipation should be shaved by near 20 points. that might stop them trying to catch so much off the bowling.

zombieian

International Coach
True. That's why I played a defensive shot for the first time in the game after the 2nd patch :p

I don't play many.
It would be good if a defensive shot had some value. For instance, to play a defensive 'push' into space for a quick single. At the moment, even with the shot modifier trigger held down slightly, the ball just drops down in front of the batsman. I have only ever been able to take one solitary single from a defensive shot.

Alberts

International Coach
I personally think that, bowlers especially, anticipation should be shaved by near 20 points. that might stop them trying to catch so much off the bowling.

I think the justification is that they do sometimes.

I just think it should take some kind of input in those situations to actually get a hand to the ball in the first place, let alone actually catch it.

----------

I don't play many.
It would be good if a defensive shot had some value. For instance, to play a defensive 'push' into space for a quick single. At the moment, even with the shot modifier trigger held down slightly, the ball just drops down in front of the batsman. I have only ever been able to take one solitary single from a defensive shot.

Depending on the field I can get quite a few runs just pushing it about. It's the brutality of the game at times that stops me from playing more defensively though. It seems at times that slowly down and playing defensively is just asking to get out, and you may as well play more aggressively if there's space in the field to do so.

zombieian

International Coach
I think the justification is that they do sometimes.

I just think it should take some kind of input in those situations to actually get a hand to the ball in the first place, let alone actually catch it.

----------

Depending on the field I can get quite a few runs just pushing it about. It's the brutality of the game at times that stops me from playing more defensively though. It seems at times that slowly down and playing defensively is just asking to get out, and you may as well play more aggressively if there's space in the field to do so.

True, but it would be nice to give the fielding side the run around. Make them move the field out and then use defensive prods and pushes to run quick singles, forcing them to move players in to try to prevent it. You can then go 'big' again.

grkrama

National Board President
the ball shouldnt always carry/float upto them in the first place as a catch all the time how ever well you time, atleast 50%(just a number obviously depending on how we play ) of the time the ball should come of the bat to pitch then to bowler for the drives, this way even if the bowler is super human, i wont mind as i wont get out nor if he drops me regularly as in lower difficulties i wont feel like cheating or loose the immersion as is happening now.

shrenik

International Coach
I've had the ball bounce off the pitch quite a few times while playing the front foot drives. Here's an instance of a pretty realistic on drive: https://vidd.me/P1H

Having said that, I've also had several front foot drives go straight to the fielders and I guess that was mostly because I was trying to play them off the short pitched deliveries. Therefore, I think it's more about playing the right shots, but yes, I would love to see more balls hit the ground before getting to the fielders.

grkrama

National Board President
did you hold the aggressive groundshot triggers ?
also when are you releasing that great looking nz kit:yes where you able to do that fishnet pattern in their kit

shrenik

International Coach
Yes, I had the aggressive ground-shot triggers pressed.

That's the default T20 Kit. I haven't had the chance to work on it but I have the source images, thanks to @frediskin

grkrama

National Board President
that's the thing it works with the triggers pressed but im, talking about pure drives without triggers, none of them touch the pitch after coming of the bat.The pure drives are more pleasant looking and give you that srt,ponting classiness, if the ball can also bound of the bat in the same way as their drives it would be pretty great.

oh ok, is it the normal CA,guess my eyes are going fuzzy...,i got his pic too,how are you planing to do that pattern, take the pattern of the shirt by PS cleaning or redraw. i tried it in corel but couldnt get proper results.

Last edited:

shrenik

International Coach
I almost always have the triggers pressed for all the shots I play. I'll try playing them without the triggers the next time I play the game.

I guess it's because of the poor quality of the video. I'll draw it from scratch in PS.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Against spin the DBC straight drive catch % feels about right to me so far, partly because I don't pop up as many catches as vs the quicks, and partly because there's more of a risk of generating return catches with an early drive against spin in real life anyway.

Actually I've had a go at straight driving the spinners and on reflection it does still seem a bit too easy to pop up a return catch.

I'd been aiming mostly through cover off the spinners so I hadn't noticed as much.

Users who are viewing this thread