Getting ball to bounce of the pitch with drives

Yeah - I'd suggest giving playing straight shots a go online - where the slight lag on fielding means the bowler can't stop things - as long as you can get it past the stumps and non-striker, there's very easy runs.

There's no simple solution here.

The straight shots are a real problem online in my opinion - it's just so easy to get bat on ball and strike them cleanly from such a wide range of deliveries. You only really cut off the option by bowling very wide outside off, or with bouncers.

Unless the footwork is perfect, straight shots should be quite risky.

Actually, regarding the footwork, does anyone know how many increments it is in? Is it six? Back and front foot, straight, off and leg side? I haven't noticed any difference when pointing the left stick at 12 o'clock compared to 1 o'clock for instance.

So I say the answer is to make it harder to hit straight shots, as in real life, and this will allow the bowler to make a more realistic exit off the pitch rather than ending in a face off with the batsman.

This would be perfect solution :thumbs

We are going to be looking into this over the next couple of weeks, I have spoken to the programmer in charge of this aspect of the game and he can't think of any reason why there'd have been a change.

But I am fine with seeing if there's something there that is causing issue. We'll weigh it all up and see if there's changes needed.

Hey man, just thought I'd chime in.

I decided to delete the patch (I'm on PS3, so version 1.02 was the version I was using) and check to see that things were as I remembered prior to the patch 2 batting tweaks. I'm playing a career as a pure batsman for Surrey, with downloaded teams (ones uploaded by a user here)

Post patch 2 I couldn't play a pull shot on the ground (invariably went past the circle in the air). Without any patch, my front foot pull landed about halfway between the pitch and the circle.

Post patch 2 any drive I played in the V was in the air for at least the length of the pitch. Without the patch, the only uppish drive was one I was early on. The rest bounced relatively close to my boy.

I've only played a short while without the patch so it's a small sample size - but my memory of playing both before the patch and after suggests that whatever the "making batting slightly easier at pro difficulty" tweak was, it's very definitely affects the way the ball travels off the bat (at least for my batting)

I'll play some more without the patch to see if things hold this way, but my thought is that the tweak to batting in patch 2 has had an unexpected effect.

*edit* I also saw something I definitely haven't seen after patch 2 - got a thick outside edge that went to gully :O

----------

I understand BA's problem though. Normally after delivery of the ball the bowler wouldn't, and wouldn't be allowed to run straight down the pitch. Naturally, a right handed bowler falls away to his left after the delivery, and isn't really in a position to take many wickets caught and bowled, being, as quite often in the case with a fast bowler, off balance. Quite often the bowler is so off balance the only way he can stop a straight drive is by sticking his size 11 boot out.
Because, at the moment with the game, it's too easy to hit the ball straight back towards the other stumps, the bowler has to be super human and stop many of the return deliveries, otherwise your score would be top heavy with straight shots for 4.
So I say the answer is to make it harder to hit straight shots, as in real life, and this will allow the bowler to make a more realistic exit off the pitch rather than ending in a face off with the batsman.

This. Although I'd suggest a slightly different approach - take some of the weight/force out of the bat so it doesn't race away for four unless you're hitting a modified shot.

That way you don't get an easy 4 straight - in fact, you may not get an easy single if mid-on or mid-off are in, because they might be able to get round to the delivery.

It also might fix some of the weirder results I've been getting while bowling (guys hitting my off-breaks for 6, and one-bounce-for-4, through very, very fine leg)

Last edited:
You know the really bizarre thing is if you hit the ball right at them the close fielders are useless. The ball just hits them and go to ground. Hit the ball 6 feet away, and they are suddenly supermen!

My experience has been slightly different. I have lost count of the no. of times I have been caught by short mid wkt, leg gully and silly mid off. It pisses me to see a decently hit shot caught by these fielders without any problem whatsoever.

Hey man, just thought I'd chime in.

I decided to delete the patch (I'm on PS3, so version 1.02 was the version I was using) and check to see that things were as I remembered prior to the patch 2 batting tweaks. I'm playing a career as a pure batsman for Surrey, with downloaded teams (ones uploaded by a user here)

Post patch 2 I couldn't play a pull shot on the ground (invariably went past the circle in the air). Without any patch, my front foot pull landed about halfway between the pitch and the circle.

Post patch 2 any drive I played in the V was in the air for at least the length of the pitch. Without the patch, the only uppish drive was one I was early on. The rest bounced relatively close to my boy.

I've only played a short while without the patch so it's a small sample size - but my memory of playing both before the patch and after suggests that whatever the "making batting slightly easier at pro difficulty" tweak was, it's very definitely affects the way the ball travels off the bat (at least for my batting)

I'll play some more without the patch to see if things hold this way, but my thought is that the tweak to batting in patch 2 has had an unexpected effect.

*edit* I also saw something I definitely haven't seen after patch 2 - got a thick outside edge that went to gully :O

----------

This. Although I'd suggest a slightly different approach - take some of the weight/force out of the bat so it doesn't race away for four unless you're hitting a modified shot.

That way you don't get an easy 4 straight - in fact, you may not get an easy single if mid-on or mid-off are in, because they might be able to get round to the delivery.

It also might fix some of the weirder results I've been getting while bowling (guys hitting my off-breaks for 6, and one-bounce-for-4, through very, very fine leg)

That is a great suggestion, that way we get the shot we need to push it for a single

I don't think it's especially complicated at all. Instead of slightly miss-executed drives popping the ball up straight at a fielder, it just needs to come off the bat without enough power to make runs.

Most deliveries in cricket work out like that. You want to attack the ball. The bowler wants you to attack the ball. You want to execute perfectly and get 4 runs, he wants you to miss-execute and get out.

Most of the time you split the difference. You don't play the shot well enough to beat the field or badly enough to give a chance, so you put a dot in the scorebook and everyone resets for the next ball.

So before we get looking at this thing in the office. We need a few things to be clarified so we can pinpoint the issue.

When is this occurring for you guys? As in start of an innings (so always), when you've built into an innings, when at full confidence, etc.

What difficulty is this occurring on? Rookie, Amatuer, Pro, Veteran, Legend, Online? Are the effects different per different difficulties for you?

What shots does it occur on? All? Specific? Aggressive? Non-Aggressive? Defensive? Grounded? Unorthodox? Advanced?

If we can get a few real clear responses to this then we can dive into it and really get down to what may be the issue.

So before we get looking at this thing in the office. We need a few things to be clarified so we can pinpoint the issue.

When is this occurring for you guys? As in start of an innings (so always), when you've built into an innings, when at full confidence, etc.

What difficulty is this occurring on? Rookie, Amatuer, Pro, Veteran, Legend, Online? Are the effects different per different difficulties for you?

What shots does it occur on? All? Specific? Aggressive? Non-Aggressive? Defensive? Grounded? Unorthodox? Advanced?

If we can get a few real clear responses to this then we can dive into it and really get down to what may be the issue.

To answer a few of your questions:

To be honest it's ongoing. There's no specific time during the match, it's just always noticeable.

I play on Pro, almost exclusively with career mode.

Most noticeable, and probably easiest to replicate would be non-aggressive straight drives. The shot will almost always result in a caught and bowled chance - and it will always be dropped.

With all batsman settled unsettled, tailender or opener everybody, at all times whenever the drives or shots without using triggers is executed this is noticeable.

Its present in all difficulties, I specifically tried it out in all difficulties just to be sure, one thing that changes is veteran and upwards bowler catches more.

All the drives without using triggers.Very noticeable in straight drives, but the uppism is present in all other drives and shots without using any triggers.It is there in both Front foot and Backfoot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also @HBK619 @BigAntStudios will we be able to play shots like AI does like these

AI DRIVES

The main thing is when we play, the ball never ever ever ever touches the pitch for pure drives like how it touches in shots above for AI, instead always glides over the pitch however low or high it is, can you shed some light on that, is it intended to be like that for players or how?

AI CUTS N PULL

PLAYER DRIVES

PLAYER CUTS N PULL

Last edited by a moderator:
When is this occurring for you guys?

Throughout the innings. Even when batsman is at full confidence.

I've only played Pro.

Non-Aggressive (that is non-trigger) shots. The straight drive (but actually most drive shots are hit uppishly), the pull and the cut shots are the main culprits for me.

Regards,

Ian

IMHO if no triggers are used, the primary aim of the batsmen should be to keep the ball along the ground unless timed poorly.

With all batsman settled unsettled, tailender or opener everybody, at all times whenever the drives or shots without using triggers is executed this is noticeable.

Its present in all difficulties, I specifically tried it out in all difficulties just to be sure, one thing that changes is veteran and upwards bowler catches more.

All the drives without using triggers.Very noticeable in straight drives, but the uppism is present in all other drives and shots without using any triggers.It is there in both Front foot and Backfoot.

As mentioned above, this has also been noticed on cuts, pulls/hooks, cover drives and leg glances. Not sure if I'm missing anything. @hbk

I think a big part of the problem is that the game equates a poorly played straight drive = played uppishly but still straight to the bowler.

In reality most straight drives are "poorly played", missing the middle of the bat so either goes off the inside or outside half of the bat and runs (along the ground) to mid on or midoff or if it's really badly executed results in an edge (of varying thickness :P)

If this could be implemented BigAnt could then reduce the reaction time of the bowler without fear of making abtting too easy as it would take great timing for the straight drive to be properly executed with the majority of attempts just ending up at mid on or mid off...

@HBK619

When is this occurring for you guys? All the time, whether my boy has confidence or not.

What difficulty is this occurring on? I play Pro, Career mode. I play Veteran when I do match practise, I didn't notice much difference - but I don't do match practise a lot.

What shots does it occur on? I notice it on "normal" (no trigger) shots. I've also had defensive (L2) shots go more in the air than I'd expect. I expect aggressive (R2) shots to go in the air, and struggle to play ground aggressive shots (because pressing both triggers alters the way I move the analog sticks. I'm working on it)

It is most noticeable (for me) with Pull and Cut shots, but drives do it too. Paradoxically, leg glances (when I don't get it late) off either the front or back foot
go along the ground better after patch 2 than they did before it.

I have a video I posted of a defensive shot that went aerially, when I really didn't feel it should have - I don't know if that's of any use, @Ross has suggested that the graphical representation doesn't quite match what's going on under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread