Graphics Card Advice Needed?

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Alright guys I'm a right Po-Tait-O :p when it comes to the tecnichal side of computers. Recently I have been using my own computer (not my dads one) although mine is somehow better than my dads it lacks one thing and that is a good graphic card, but I need to clarify two things:

My dads GFX card was a GeForce 5200 (the one whittmatt has in his tut to make BLIC07 play)

My one is a GeForce 6200 LE

But the problem is that my one is not as good as my dads and especially when gaming, no not just for BLIC07 but also for games that used to run good on my dads PC like Counter-Strike Source which used to run as smooth as anything on my dads computer (which remember is not as good as mine, besides the graphics card.) whereas when I play CSS on this CPU it is not really bad but is not as smooth as it used to be on my dads system, even with low settings its really hard to be as accurate as I was with my shooting. :(

Also I can only run it on 1024x768 res because the screen is small, now down to the point my main question is what graphics card is under ?100 and good or better than both my dads and mine?

btw my brother said I need a graphic card which runs with PCI Express whatever the hell that is?

Thanks for any help!

It depends on whether your motherboard supports PCI-E. What model is it?

PCI-Express graphics cards are much cheaper and better than AGP. If your motherboard has just an AGP slot though, this is the best card for your budget:

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-072-HT

If you're willing to spend another 30-40 pounds, you can get a x1950PRO, which is the best card for its price on the market.

Totally agree with Gold, he has it spot on. X1650XT is a good card, and offers better framerates than its nvidia counter part the 7600gt.

The x1950pro is easily the best price vs performance card out there. Kev has one, so you can ask him how it is.

If you're keen on DX10, then wait till mid-april. Nvidia are supposedly launching the G84 cards - aka the 8600GT and 8600GTS. Still unsure if they'll release AGP versions also, but the price range is just $100-150.

gold639 said:
If you're keen on DX10, then wait till mid-april. Nvidia are supposedly launching the G84 cards - aka the 8600GT and 8600GTS. Still unsure if they'll release AGP versions also, but the price range is just $100-150.

I can't wait till mid April by that time I will suck at css :p

thanks for the help but how do I find out what runs with my mother board :help

My brother says he will do some research on GFX cards and the best one I should get (he's a bit of a brainiac with this stuff) so I'll see what he offers, but that one you posted gold looks promising....

Go to start->run-> type in dxdiag . It'll tell you your motherboard info.

I seriously recommend the x1950PRO (its the one I'm getting as well :p) , can run almost every current game at high settings.

I am doubtful if Dxdiag can properly tell do you have PCI - E or AGP :D

A better way would be to go to your BIOS at system startup and see the option which will be there either for AGP or PCI-E. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING. IF YOU DO CHANGE SOMETHING BY MISTAKE, JUST PRESS ESCAPE ONCE OR TWICE and you will see a save without exit screen :)

If you want an absolute fool proof method of telling what slots you have you will need a screwdriver. Its painless and only requires that you undo 2 screws normally.

Here's a picture I did of duded64's motherboard to help you identify the slots.

Attachments

• duded.jpg
    duded.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 74
Or download CPUZ , and go to the "Mainboard" tab, should tell you what slot your mobo has.

I've asked this before, but still curious in a way.

I've recently ordered a GeForce 660 256MB PCI-E X 16 card. I seldom play games, but I'd like to get back to EA Cricket 2005 and few other games (not the hardcore ones). Is the card sufficient?

cricket_lover said:
I've asked this before, but still curious in a way.

I've recently ordered a GeForce 660 256MB PCI-E X 16 card. I seldom play games, but I'd like to get back to EA Cricket 2005 and few other games (not the hardcore ones). Is the card sufficient?

I have a 6200 which is ok for cricket 2005, so 6600 must run c2005 pretty well.

Yes the 6600 will be sufficient for Cricket 2005 though it will huff and puff through newer games...........

And also to identify between PCI-E and AGP, the easiest way is to see where the cut is. Notice that when we see the mobo by the way in that picture the left part of the cut is very less than the right part, whereas in the AGP its opposite ;)

Lol If I do get a card there is no way I am putting it in myself I'm leaving that to my brother.

I know 100% that I need a card that runs with PCI-E!

Users who are viewing this thread