World Cup Group A - Pool Matches Discussion Thread

Afghan's deserve a decent win this tournament. One of the more exciting teams to watch play but they don't seem to be able to maintain momentum past 15 overs to really put the foot to the throat...

Great stuff from Afghanistan, they've got some really good fast bowlers and in a few years time I reckon they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

No one is shocked that England lost to those two teams: if they had scored somewhere near what the opposing teams got then people wouldn't have minded. The fact that they got bowled up for 230 chasing 350 and then got bowled out for 120 against New Zealand, when Scotland managed 140, is why people are talking about England not qualifying.

They shouldn't have a NRR of -4 - that all buts eliminates them anyway if they get a game rained out and it ends up a tie with them and Bangladesh

yeah, IF IT RAINS lol in terms of h2h, England will beat just about every other team in that group, apart from SL. BANG will lose to SL and probably beat the associates but England should be in a better position to qualify by then.[DOUBLEPOST=1424609235][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hope you're right. England are broken at the moment though. Rumours flying around about Moores' job won't be helping. The good thing is, I'm pretty certain that Scotland and Afghanistan can't beat us.

lol they wont be able to us

Scotland won the caber toss and have decided to bowl first.

Scotland won the caber toss and have decided to bowl first.

England do realise this isnt a test match right???? good to see us off to our lightning fast start.....if lightning was been carried on the back of a slug with hemohrroids

Bouncing Ali out probably does work, but not so much with a couple of County Second XI bowlers slinging it down at medium pace. You'd think they'd be better off pitching it up to him and letting him find someone in the covers with an aerial drive.

god england are so boring! for lack of a better (or actual) word, all of their players are so blehh. bring back kp! PLEASE! he's the only one who made england worth watching (once flintoff retired)

Reactions: War
I noticed two things in this match which shows me the defensive mindset of England in ODI.

(1) When you are 170 for none in 30 overs and you have a guy batting on 100 and another batting on 50, why wouldn't you take the batting powerplay?

(2) When your first wicket falls on 170 runs in the 30th over and you send Gary Ballance at number 3, it is as defensive as it gets. What is the point of having Jos Butler if you are not going to utilize him in situations like this? Or Morgan could have come out himself to get some much needed match practice to get himself back in form.

Common sense really taking a beating - yesterday we get a lunch break with 12 runs to get, and today we get a game abandoned because they can't just play it another day when Bangladesh next play on Thursday and Australia next play on Saturday.

It's not like the tournament isn't long enough.

This will seriously harm Australia's chances against NZ - they go in with great form and 3 matches so far, while Australia have two weeks off.

Yeah both of those were strange. I don't see any reason why with only 12 runs to get they couldn't continue. It was just delaying the inevitable. But also did anybody seriously think that Australia v Bangladesh was ever going to get on the park? Put it this way. An A-League soccer match was called off the night before and quite a few race meetings around Queensland were also abandoned that day.

Cant wait for the AUS vs NZ clash, potential WCup classis and as many have mentioned so much has changed since these two teams last met. Just wish the match was played at a bigger ground.

What a game .. Feel bad for the Scots, but Afghans were absolutely brilliant.

Shenwari showing some old school grit and perseverance that has become a rarity in today's times. Ditto for the patience shown by the lower order. Chillingly cool, like an experienced assasin.

--

On a side note: another runfest at hands between the Test teams. while the Associates pull out thrillers after thrillers

Looks like we are in for another run fest. Not a lot in the pitch and those tiny boundaries

--

Ahh southee. Brilliant

Users who are viewing this thread