Group C - 11th Match Sri Lanka v West Indies

WestIndies has some good T20 Players and Srilanka has some good bowling lineup so it's going to be bit tough for us.

Lanka is a given for me, and Aus and WI will battle it out. WI will be more used the conditions, and will probably be hungrier for the win. Edwards, Bravo and Gayle are coming off the IPL. For Australia, it's their first matches for a while, Lee, Symonds, Dave Hussey and Warner being the ones off the IPL. I think those four hold the key for Australia, cause they'll have some match practice behind them and are doing well. The others are coming off an ODI series against Pakistan, sure, but that's Pakistan and in very different conditions. And not T20s.

It'll be interesting to say the least. T20 is a format where Aus are yet to actually dominate, WI have had the Stanford T20 and their skipper prefers this form of the game...

This group seems to be tough,comapred to other groups,Aus,SL might reach on the top,lets see.

Batting-wise I find Sri Lanka to be questionable, but bowling makes them a tougher side. The 3 Ms are a deadly combo, Malinga with his yorkers, Mendis with variations and Murali with his turn. Traditionally, Vaas would also be a key player, coming up with a vital performance when conditions suit, but that is now left to the younger players. Much like Pakistan, it is a side that relies on the ability to restrict an opponent, so any players who undo that could cost them.

As we saw at the last tournament, even though the West Indies have the brilliance of Gayle, other factors allowed Bangladesh to crash through them. If they can't even defend 200, they have little hope. Again, the bowling is key to that, but in a game where mistakes deliver instant ruination, it will likely be their poor fielding that kills their chances.

Australia are a bit of a mystery package. A number of players stand under questions of form, several will need to prove their fitness and there are a few who will be happy to prove whatever they can. The last tournament was a forgettable campaign and in recent times they've been dealt their fair share of failures. If they play to their potential, then surely the batting and pace bowling are as potent and classy as any. Have they come through the fires or are they still in the furnace?

If Australia play like they did today they will struggle even against Windies.

^Hey? Posting 219 isn't good enough for the West Indies is it?

Australia are a bit of a mystery package. A number of players stand under questions of form, several will need to prove their fitness and there are a few who will be happy to prove whatever they can. The last tournament was a forgettable campaign and in recent times they've been dealt their fair share of failures. If they play to their potential, then surely the batting and pace bowling are as potent and classy as any. Have they come through the fires or are they still in the furnace?

Agreed with your other comments angry, but not so much here. I guess I see the gist though I just don't think the last T20 was forgettable. Sure they lost to Zimbabwe, but they made the semifinals. And if I recall they needed about 30 off the last 3 overs in that semi against India with 6 or 7 wickets in hand and they spilled their lollies. They may not want to remember that, but they should have beaten India from that situation. Yet the myth continues, Aussies can't play T20.

*Just looked up that scorecard. Australia needed 33 off 21 balls with 7 wickets in hand (the ball just before Symonds got bowled). At the time, Symonds had 43 from 25 and Mike Hussey had 11 off 5 balls. Then Pathan bowled Symonds, Harbhajan conceded 3 and bowled Michael Clarke off his over, RP Singh conceded only 2 as Haddin couldn't connect and suddenly 22 was required from the last over. Astonishing run there where they lost 2 wickets and scored only 11 from 15 balls. And there goes your tournament in 15 balls.

Last edited:
It was a forgettable campaign exactly for the reasons you said; at times it was bad, but it wasn't overall particularly terrible. They got to the semis, but the way they played was not memorably successful. They got a good result, but they did it in spite of themselves. Even though they beat most of the sides in the competition, they fell somewhat short of what they could have achieved.

If Australia play like they did today they will struggle even against Windies.

That was far from our best bowling lineup, we were at least a bowler short.

As for the last tournament, we also lost to Pakistan so by our standards it was forgettable especially considering the last 2 world cups we have gone through unbeaten. We didn't get the squad selection right which could again be a problem here with T20 kings in Hodge and Nannes being left behind.

the fast and the furious group!

look at all these pacers. Lee, Mj. Malinga, Edwards. also Siddle and Bracken

Sri Lanka and Australia will go through, can't see the West Indies beating either of them. Although Sri Lanka's batting could be a problem, although Dilshan was very good in the IPL.

West Indies bowling looks to be struggling as expected. The batting is going alright, and Gayle has shown he can destroy a team single handed but he will need the bowlers to back him up.

Australia is in form and will go through. Between Sri Lanka and West Indies, I would favour Sri Lanka to go through.

The Group of Death,the contests everyone is waiting for.
It will definitely make for some interesting cricket. I'd say Aus and WI will qualify. SRL look patchy on current form.

Users who are viewing this thread