He's given that a fearsome TWEAK!

They are all annoying after a while. Turn the commentary off and do it yourself.:)

"He is the master of spin" even if he is a mediocre part-time bowler.

Apparently, Glen Maxwell from Australia is almost always "..making his debut here today." :D

----------

The bad grammar bugs me the most. "Bushrangers is on fire in the field" and the like.

I honestly don't intend to be mean or anything but just for the sake of knowledge that is NOT a grammatical error, let alone a bad one.
Bushrangers, when used as a collective noun in both American as well as British English, invariably takes singular verb forms. It's like saying, a team of players is out on the field. That team is Bushrangers. Am I right? :)
@arjwiz I request you to also take note that the one you mentioned is technically NOT at all a grammatical error.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_noun

PS: Pardon me for playing the English language teacher here but I bet my English mentor is going to be proud. :D

Last edited:
I honestly don't intend to be mean or anything but just for the sake of knowledge that is NOT a grammatical error, let alone a bad one.
Bushrangers, when used as a collective noun in both American as well as British English, invariably takes singular verb forms. It's like saying, a team of players is out on the field. That team is Bushrangers. Am I right? :)
@arjwiz I request you to also take note that the one you mentioned is technically NOT at all a grammatical error.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_noun

PS: Pardon me for playing the English language teacher here but I bet my English mentor is going to be proud. :D

Personally, I'd agree with you from a technical point of view. Though it does sound "odd".

"He'll trouble the batsman with sheer pace, as long as he gets his line and length right" when Jonathan Trott trundles in to bowl.

And the ones where you're slagged off for appealing. They're fine, but they lose their edge after the 130th time.

honestly don't intend to be mean or anything but just for the sake of knowledge that is NOT a grammatical error, let alone a bad one.
Bushrangers, when used as a collective noun in both American as well as British English, invariably takes singular verb forms. It's like saying, a team of players is out on the field. That team is Bushrangers. Am I right?
The practice with sports teams is almost always to use a plural verb form - especially where like in this case the name is already plural. Discussion here, and the AP style guide also considers sports teams to be always plural, with occasional exceptions.

If it counts for anything, the Bushrangers use 'are' when describing themselves - such as in their Facebook bio.

I suppose it's just a case of the first iteration being somewhat simple, but at least it's a decent starting point.

"He's given that a fearsome tweak" even when bowling a delivery with no revs on it, is quite annoying after a while.

The practice with sports teams is almost always to use a plural verb form - especially where like in this case the name is already plural. Discussion here, and the AP style guide also considers sports teams to be always plural, with occasional exceptions.

If it counts for anything, the Bushrangers use 'are' when describing themselves - such as in their Facebook bio.

Agreed. Though, my argument was purely in response to your comment about it being 'grammatically' incorrect.
I think I have heard plenty of commentators treat it as singular but I must confess I was not aware of the practice with sports teams. Thanks for the information.

I turn it off for county games, only have it on for the big internationals

Agreed. Though, my argument was purely in response to your comment about it being 'grammatically' incorrect.
I still maintain it is grammatically incorrect for a plural. Pretend it's not a sports team and just referring to normal people, "The bushranger is stealing" for one, and "The bushrangers are stealing" for many. It wouldn't be 'The bushrangers is stealing".

Just because they started playing cricket, they don't suddenly become a singular.

I still maintain it is grammatically incorrect for a plural. Pretend it's not a sports team and just referring to normal people, "The bushranger is stealing" for one, and "The bushrangers are stealing" for many. It wouldn't be 'The bushrangers is stealing".

Just because they started playing cricket, they don't suddenly become a singular.

That's the whole point of treating it as a collective noun, Matt. Unless it's a group or team of certain people, it can not take singular verb form.

Blockerdave is right about it sounding odd but it is correct from a technical/grammatical standpoint.

You've been out on the pitch how's the weather today? Or something like that...

"That's headed for the car park"

Heard that one so many times now :(

Users who are viewing this thread