Hindi Cinema Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Tamasha - Imtiaz fails big time! Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone turn up pretty spectacular levels of performance, but Imtiaz's narration is where the patience of the audience is tested severely. Some of the scenes in the 2nd half are absolutely cringe worthy. And the screenplay looks a pretty bloody mess in the same second half. Yes, Imtiaz was trying to be further unconventional from the regular unconventional, but too much of anything can be pretty bad and thats how Tamasha ends up. The music by Rahman is pretty solid and serene, the visuals and the locales are outstandingly good (Corsica is the new tourist spot for us now). Deepika has grown massively as an actor. She is supremely confident and has that aura of a superstar. In fact, she stole the limelight from Ranbir in many scenes and it required for her to be away from the screen for Ranbir to show his own histronics. Deepika with her combination of talent and beauty feels already better to me (in my opinion) than what Aishwarya Rai was at her peak.

Coming to Ranbir, he came to his own in the second half and in various instances, showed his supreme talent as a performer. One weakness for him is, he gets overshadowed a bit easily when in the frame with another equally superior performer. But his talent is unquestionable. A better screenplay could have given him that elusive break away from films that are not critically acclaimed. His comical talent is not explored properly yet and he can be a serious comical performer (that scene with his boss was a riot).

2.5/5

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Dilwale - Paisa vasool entertainment! Totally entertained! Great sparkles of the classic romance between SRK and Kajol in good amounts. Solid roles for both SRK and Kajol, especially Kajol is a real scene stealer here! Be prepared to be surprised by her intensity and rawness! She is the winner of this drama. SRK is good, especially in the romantic scenes with Kajol (the chemistry is still very much intact, for all those SRK-Kajol fanatics). Wish Rohit Shetty had reduced his stunts and focused more on the SRK-Kajol romance and drama. The Rohit Shetty brand of comedy at quite a few places felt boring. Varun and Kriti in their small parts were pretty convincing, especially Varun who is a serious hero material (I see sparks of Salman in him). Johnny Lever and Boman Irani falter for most part. The music is very pleasing and hummable material, with Gerua being a big chartbuster. The picturisation was decent for most parts, with Gerua being the best of the lot. On the whole, if you are an SRK-Kajol fan and don't mind the Rohit Shetty brand, book your tickets right away!

4/5

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
Dilwale-Nice Film.Enjoyable story but very shoddy camera work.After the Climax I was like,Did it end like that?.Something was missing from the climax.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Bajirao Mastani - Cinematic masterpiece from Bhansali! Those who thought Ranveer Singh was a useless actor, should eat their words big time. He has lived as 'Bajirao' with his breath and soul. His energy in the Malhari song is stunning. Deepika as Mastani is impressive and complements Ranveer well. But it is Priyanka as 'Kashibai', who is the real show stealer (she does way better than Deepika). She portrays the pain of a wife whose husband has fallen for another woman, so beautifully that you feel bad for her. Her dialogue delivery with that Marathi dialect is very authentic and superb. The rest of the cast (Tanvi Azmi, Aditya Pancholi and others) do a great job. The music is a rage already (the entire album needs to be preserved for his beautiful classical tunes) and the background score is awesome. Negatives are the slight slow pace in the first 15-20 minutes, the uncanny similarity to the director's earlier "Ram Leela" (which also featured Ranveer and Deepika). On the whole, a film that will stand the test of time

4.3/5

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Anyone wants to do the "Top 5 of 2015" exercise for Bollywood movies?

My list would be:

1. Piku
2. Dil Dhadakne Do
3. Bajirao Mastani
4. NH10
5. Drishyam

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The least number of films I have watched is, in the year 2015. Out of the films I have watched, it would be-

1. NH10
2. Bhajarangi Bhaijaan
3. Badlapur
4. Dum Laga Ke Haisha (Many didn't like, but I loved it)
5. Drishyam( Kannada and Tamil version was more entertaining)

Should watch-

Talvar
Detective Bymokesh Bhakshi
Bhaji Rao Mastani
Piku
Tanu Weds Manu Returns

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Anyone wants to do the "Top 5 of 2015" exercise for Bollywood movies?

My list would be:

1. Piku
2. Dil Dhadakne Do
3. Bajirao Mastani
4. NH10
5. Drishyam

You did not watch Bajrangi Bhaijaan? Or you didn't like it? Bajrangi is on both the critics and masses list for the Top 5 of 2015. Here's mine (pretty similar to yours, but with a few deviations):

1. Bajrangi Bhaijaan
2. Piku
3. Dil Dhadakne Do
4. Bajirao Mastani
5. Talvar

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I did like Bajrangi. It was very good. But those 5 come before it on my list :)

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
Don't remember watching minimum of 5 Hindi movies in 2015, but here's my all time top 5 :-

1. Lagaan
2. Sholay (best acted film ever in bollywood)
3. Munna Bhai MBBS
4. 3 idiots
5. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag

Other honorable mentions (comedy films that I loved most but can't categorize as top 5 since they were just comedy films): Malamal Weekly, Welcome, Khatta Meetha, Dhol, Dhamal, Hera Pheri, Phir Hera Pheri, De Dana Dan, etc. I'd also like to mention A Wednesday, Special 26, Lunchbox and Ballu which I liked but were non-comedy films.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
10428623_864076520310982_825034383067827099_n.jpg

didn't know where else to post this

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Watched 'Airlift' (Akshay Kumar). Outstanding film! A great thriller/drama which makes you feel good and helps you come out with a happy tear or two (or a choked throat if you are not the emotional types). The emotional feeling after the film reminds you of Bajrangi Bhaijaan which was a gripping emotional drama. Akshay Kumar gives a stunning performance as the lead who is the messiah for the people he is trying to save. Nimrat Kaur is solid as the lead actress, Kumud Mishra as the contact guy from the Indian govt is first rate. The music is very melodious (the climax song is patriotic and kindles emotions) and "Soch Na Sakhe" by Arijit is the best. Negatives: Well the movie ended early and maybe less drama, but these can also be called as strengths. For me, I just can't see the issues with the movies.

4.5/5

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Huge huge fan of Arijit Singh! For me, he is the modern day Md. Rafi. His voice has so much pain and he picks the right songs that lend a lot of soul. Magical singer! Absolutely love his songs! Most of my iPod playlist is filled with Arijit's songs. Totally tripping on Airlift's "Soch Na Sakhe"

Users who are viewing this thread