How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
I've just made it to the 5th year of career mode, so thought I'd post an update for those closely following my career.

I'm 'Getting Attention' for the English P40 Cup, a 'Fair Way Off' for the English County Cup and a 'Long Way Off' the English T20 Competition and Australian ODI side.

Finally made a final now that the bug was fixed - with a loss to Tasmania in the Shield final. Was a bit uneventful because the game just called it a 'Round 16' match, the commentators didn't mention it and the only way you could tell was the ceremony at the end of the match. Even the crowd was worse than a normal match.

I find myself in a bit of a rut really - I get a bunch of 2 or 3 wicket innings - which is rarely the best of my team, let alone something exceptional to push my case for selection elsewhere. It doesn't help that I frequently get taken off after getting a few quick wickets, only to be put back on later when the batsmen are set.

I am however building up a lot of skill points - my bar for Straight Seam is nearly full, and the In Swing and Off Cutter are nearing half way. The 2 helmet was my greatest achievement so far, though it doesn't seem to make any difference to the AI selection of me to bowl - I'll frequently open the bowling in one innings and either not bowl or be the second or third change in the other.

I'm getting a lot more caught and bowled wickets now, including this one, which has to be my favourite wicket so far.

Stats wise -
T20 - 30 matches played
Batting average of 2.57 with a strike rate of 48.64 in 9 innings. Top score of 8.
Bowling average of 24.14 with a strike rate of 19.05 and economy of 7.60. Best bowling 5/20.

List A - 48 matches played
Batting average of 3.15 with a strike rate of 61.15 in 29 innings. Top score of 16.
Bowling average of 21.75 with a strike rate of 24.92 and economy of 5.23. Best bowling 5/36.

First Class - 49 matches played
Batting average of 2.70 with a strike rate of 44.64 in 76 innings. Top score of 25.
Bowling average of 17.47 with a strike rate of 35.15 and economy of 2.98. Best innings 5/17, best match 7/67.

List A - 48 matches played
Batting average of 3.15 with a strike rate of 61.15 in 29 innings. Top score of 16.
Bowling average of 21.75 with a strike rate of 24.92 and economy of 5.23. Best bowling 5/36.

First Class - 49 matches played
Batting average of 2.70 with a strike rate of 44.64 in 76 innings. Top score of 25.
Bowling average of 17.47 with a strike rate of 35.15 and economy of 2.98. Best innings 5/17, best match 7/67.

Disappointing that stats like this don't get further recognition, three years like that in real life and you'd be pretty close to the Australian team.

@MattW - you play veteran level right? AI bowling changes aside it seems much more challenging/rewarding to play at that level or higher (as with @zimrahil) for bowling career?

----------

Started career over playing as a bolwer
Figures so far

7 Matches
639 balls bowled
239 runs
89 wickets
BB 10/ 10
BBM 16/10
AVg 2.69
Econ 2.24
SR 7.17
5W 12
10W 6

Batting eish so much bad luck, nicks played ball on
just not getting batting right yet

just cannot begin to imagine that being any fun whatsoever.

Oh no, end of the first season and only made the Australian shield competition, that means 10 solid FC matches :noway. Going to be hell, I tried to get through the English ones as quick as possible.

Disappointing that stats like this don't get further recognition, three years like that in real life and you'd be pretty close to the Australian team.
What's more annoying is that I'm bowling better in FC, but closer to selection in one day matches. Judging by the points system after each match, it seems to be totally based around wickets - you can't really get far being consistently economical if you're not getting the wickets.

I'd personally take one or two wickets for not many over an expensive 3 or 4 wicket haul - but the game doesn't seem to recognise that - save for being able to build up a lot of skill points from those economical overs.

@MattW - you play veteran level right? AI bowling changes aside it seems much more challenging/rewarding to play at that level or higher (as with @zimrahil) for bowling career?
Yeah. I find it great that I wasn't just gifted a spot in the national side at 17 like a lot of the others in this thread. It will make it that much sweeter when I finally make it to the next level.

I think I'm getting a far better career mode experience out of that choice.

---

Apparently I'm bad at math - I just turned 20 in career mode, which means I'm now in my 5th year after finishing 4.

I also have a question to most, do you enjoy more the Eng or Aus for your choice to play in during your career? I feel I get more bowling variety in Eng than Aus.

----------

just cannot begin to imagine that being any fun whatsoever.

Why

When i played i was a bowler and i love bowling, just learn bowling very fast
There is no more fun for me than getting a team out cheaply
batting ill get to that sometime but i enjoy bowling so im happy with that

Last edited:
If you're getting returns like that as 16/17 year old starting from zero skills, I personally wouldn't find it challenging or enjoyable. Not trying to being an a-hole, what's great is there are clearly lots of ways to play/enjoy this game... But I want a challenge.

If you're getting returns like that as 16/17 year old starting from zero skills, I personally wouldn't find it challenging or enjoyable. Not trying to being an a-hole, what's great is there are clearly lots of ways to play/enjoy this game... But I want a challenge.

Each to his own, I just find spin bowling very easy
honestly i had to work for my stats

That 16/10 was just a freak honestly, lbw, lbw bowled and so forth
my best after that was 6 / 25 after

Guess its depended on the opponent you face in the game as well

Back to back 50s in FC(2nd innings) & OD. Not sure why AI loves to send me by loosing early wickets, I was sent again to bat when we were on 3/12 in 8th over. I took the charge as my non striker was just defending crazily with risks against spinners. Reached 50 in 41 balls & couple of 50+ partnerships but got dismissed on 77. :( But it was so good to feel the pressure & rescue the team from 3/12 to 205 all out. However we lost & I was wicket less with 0/14 in 5 overs.

It now says getting attention for English FC with fair way off to English ODs & no chance for Indian squad. Long way to go. :)

After a string of single digit scores, my career batsman finally made some useful runs (47 runs in 47 balls) in a 4 day match in the second innings. Of course, I had a brain-fart moment trying to go for the 50 by reverse sweeping the spinner and getting LBW (didn't mean to reverse sweep, just wanted to sweep and changed the shot at the last moment, without releasing the L1 key).

Batting is much easier against spinners and medium pacers, whom you can basically play off the front foot without any issues and have plenty of time to decide the stroke. Alas, the runs came in a lost cause (my score was the second highest in the innings shared with another player), but very happy to achieve an innings of substance at last. Playing spin is a breeze in this game compared to the quickies/medium fast bowlers :)

Last edited:
Played first test match for India at age of 17
Took 8 wickets in the match and scored 0
Defeated Pakistan by an innings

Had a great day in career mode today with my bowling...
Runs/wkts

4day: 6/9, 19/6
18/8, 0/5
One day: 5/7, 4/5, 4/7, 22/6..:D

Restarted my career as a keeper batsmen opening up at number 1. Have to honestly say once you get into a groove with batting it does get easier.

I am halfway through season 1 and doing quite well.

Fair chance for English FC
Very close for English OD
Very close for English T20
Fair chance for Indian T20
Fair chance for international T20

FC ave is 38 highest of 95
List A is 56 highest of 93
T20 is 62 highest of 111*

I know people think batting is too hard but if you stick at it, it gets easier. Once you get those skills on the up timing eases up too.

I guess it is like real life cricket, you need to find your strengths and play to them.

Users who are viewing this thread