How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
I don't play with aggressive triggers and stick to playing normal shots. Don't have reaction time to depress the trigger after determining line & length of the ball.

I can play spinners sort of okish on the leg side but can't do much when they leave a gap on the off side. I invariably end up edging to the wkt keeper. Strangely enough have the same issue with slow medium pacers such as Sayers and Bopara - I can't play them through the off side as I end up edging to the keeper or play on.

What difficulty are you playing on? There is a huge step up from pro to veteran in terms of the margin of error and edging.

So far I'm doing very well with bowling on my new career (Bowling all-rounder on Pro)... batting's going much better, but straight drives to balls that are on line to middle or off go off the edge to keeper or 1st, 2nd slip... every time. That hasn't stopped me from making some half decent scores.

I continued my career which I was playing before patch 2.5. I started on amateur because of the 2 level jump pre patch. Now I will only go up to pro which happened when I got picked for South Africa in T20 and ODI. Everything clicked and I scored 96 (98), 95 (78), 64*(70) against New Zealand in the ODI series and 58 (51) and 92 (59) in the t20 series. I am in a rich vain of form but are really looking forward to the 4 day matches as I would like to get into the test team. Defending is much easier and I noticed that if you take your time and build confidence at the beginning of your innings it becomes easier to score runs later in your innings. This game is all I wanted it to be and I am sure with small tweaks here and there it will become a game that I will play for years to come.

My question to others is this: in Real Life™, if you keep pushing non-defensively to balls on or outside off stump, what is the likely end result?

I've faced a few pro bowlers, notably Makhaya Ntini and Rusty Theron, and although they weren't taking things too seriously, Theron was after I cover drove him for four, and I can safely say this game is much harder. Batting just requires you to move the bat in one quick movement, your feet work automatically if you have been playing for a while, and you don't have to work out which triggers you have to depress at the same time as the ball comes down at 130km/h. I guess the controls are how they are for a reason, but it is the one illogical thing about this game. How cool would it be to have the power determined for example by the amount you move the RAS? Then power and shot direction would be seamlessly integrated.

To answer your question, if I kept pushing non defensively at balls on or outside off stump in real life, I'd probably make about 30 odd before being caught at point.

I like the fact that you start as a 16 year old with no skills though, it makes the progression that much more interesting. However I hope that the career player gets obviously better. I'm not sure how these +1 skill messages I keep seeing are linked to making batting easier.

Last edited:
I can play spinners sort of okish on the leg side but can't do much when they leave a gap on the off side. I invariably end up edging to the wkt keeper. Strangely enough have the same issue with slow medium pacers such as Sayers and Bopara - I can't play them through the off side as I end up edging to the keeper or play on.

I get what you are saying, am also on the same boat. ;) This happened to me last night where I was marching towards my first century( with career player started after patch 2.5 ) after 30+ OD innings wait , all I managed to do is - tempted by huge offside gap, went backfoot against the flighted delivery of leg spin, played a cut shot, edged to first slip on 95 Runs. :(

It was classic to watch in replay, but terrible to feel as I am still waiting on my first century post patch 2.5. Also felt so irritated as there were 3 spinners attacking in bowling since 6th over of OD - 2 left arm + 1 right arm leg spin, having a curse of spin for downloading Indian domestic rosters.

I am fairly comfy playing shots against spinners .. its the defensive strokes that screw me up because you need to cover the line of the ball to perfection to make sure it doesn't sneak through or hit the pads. For playing shots, I just play through the offside whenever its in the full length area and play it to the leg side when the length is good or short. Same with medium pacers.

Cant do the same against pacers because I am not quick enough with my reflexes :|

PS: Scored a match saving 171 on Saturday while chasing 390 in 2.5 sessions. Was really satisfying. Sehwag got the MOTM though for scoring 200+ runs :(

Make it stop. Somewhat excessive workload for a 16 year old fast bowler! Pretty sure I won't be needed to bowl again this match...

View attachment 130851

I feel sorry for Mr Jarvis personally!

Its not a career thing but still: I designed my own 16 team four day league with all the lesser nations: Netherlands, Scotland, Namibia, even invited Russia along! Having great fun. I am playing as the Dutch of course and we made 188 in our first innings of our first round match against the Russians, interestingly played at the Don Bradman Oval! (Expensive trip for all concerned but lovely sandwiches) Had some lovely moments: edges flying between the slips, dropped slip catches; this game is pretty darn good in terms of batting at the mo.

At least your skipper bowls you.

Botha at SA seems to not trust my 16 year old prodigy, despite topping the bowling stats in every comp he's played in so far. He seems to like bringing me on at 3rd change in both Shield and 50 over stuff. He also didn't give me a contract option for the big bash.

So it was pretty satisfying to blow his team away with him being my hattrick victim in my first aussie T20 game.

Reactions: Ren
Yeah I think the AI captains have some built in politics. I took 13/40 bowling spin in a first class match and didn't get a bowl in the next 2 matches.

Maybe I dented his car celebrating after the match?

Users who are viewing this thread