How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters
Yup, thats correct. The edge probability has definitely been pushed upwards. Before the patch my last five scores in career on pro were 61, 48, 13, 0, 50; after the patch it has been 0, 0, 12, 8, 26. Getting out nicking the ball behind 90% of the time to shots that earlier I used to time pretty well. I also feel that taking wickets now is tougher than it was before. The AI is quite content to let me have maiden overs again and again, but they just dont make as many mistakes as they used to previously :rolleyes Would be nice if we could get our mates @HBK619 , @fiction to weigh in on this :) Frankly, I liked it a bit more as it was previously, but i dont think this change is set in stone - they would get down to tweaking it further sooner or later :cheers
Yeah I surely think tweaking regarding edges should be done....Mainly on Legend difficulty for sure...

I have a theory (and I havent nicked one yet, albeit only on one legend game)

We are penalized for not depressing the triggers at all. Im not sure how many people play without depressing any triggers, but now I am either blocking or playing aggressive ground shots, I am seeing slightly more promising results. Obviously I am getting bowled and caught a lot in the outfield, but that is fine, like normal cricket, and because I am an unskilled sixteen year old with slow reactions in real life.

Yeah I'm about halfway through my first season, back on legend, averaging only about 12, but batting with triggers depressed and not nicking it like Sam Robson. Only one edge taken behind off a spinner. Else I'm getting bowled, caught at cover mainly

I assume you guys are talking about the console patch (and not the latest PC update)? Since the patch I've only played one casual Test innings (on Pro) and then, in career mode as a batting all-rounder, an ODI innings and the entire of my first BBL. My impression is that the batting is easier, but I'm thinking it might have to do with it suiting my preferred style of getting runs, which is essentially blocking everything on the stumps and only scoring off balls that are going over the stumps, going down leg or that are far enough outside off for me to immediately know they're not hitting the stumps.

In the Test match, I started the innings (as Australia vs India on a dusty Mumbai pitch) with a lead of about 80 and proceeded to put on a 100-run partnership. Needless to say I was very satisfied with the patch. Interestingly, in the first innings of this match I'd also put on a 100-run partnership for the first wicket, including my first century in a Test. However, that effort was a long time coming and I'd struggled a lot before getting that (usually abandoning matches out of frustration) due to either getting out LBW trying to block or getting caught behind blocking. In the post-patch innings I felt a lot more in control because when I was blocking I felt secure. I still managed to get out mistiming blocks a couple of times, but most of the wickets that fell were due to either knicking drives outside off or playing across the line or, once I'd decided I needed to up the scoring rate, getting bowled or caught on the boundary slogging it. The whole innings felt a lot more realistic. When they were bowling well, I would spend a bunch of overs hardly scoring and just absorbing the pressure, and when they bowled bad balls I could get them away without having to worry about being caught because of all the shots going in the air. Also, the bowling felt about the same to me, we bowled them out for around 250 in about 90 overs, whereas they'd managed about 300 in 120 overs in the first innings. I actually only got one wicket due to an edge though which was a bit disappointing, but it was a beauty from Harris, and it was what finished the match. (We won by about 150 runs)

I can't remember what I got in the ODI innings but in the BBL I averaged about 35 with the bat with a strike rate of 150 or so and got wickets at my usual ridiculously low average of around 7 runs per wicket. (I'm playing the career on Amateur, but for the record I will be starting a new one soon on either Pro or Veteran because I find the bowling too easy and I think I'm up for more of a challenge with the bat.) Although when I'm playing limited over stuff I don't block as much and generally try to play the balls heading for the stumps to the leg side (unless they're really full) I got the same impression, that I was being rewarded for not just starting to play drives from ball one. Each innings I played would consist of me playing myself in by blocking balls outside off and playing leg glances and pulling, and then once my confidence was up, I would try and smack a few shots straight down the ground and through and over cover. I think my favourite dismissal was being caught behind off a top edged pull shot which I mistimed - hadn't seen that before and it felt a lot more satisfying that getting out trying to block some listless domestic bowler.

By the way, after managing to win the must-win match against the Melbourne Stars to get into the semi-final with one ball to spare(!), we found ourselves up against them again and lost the second encounter. In the first match Malinga caused havoc to our top order but I managed to steady the innings by being prepared to block all his yorkers and slower balls and only scoring a couple here and there from him, after they decided to bowl him out at the top. In the second match though, he caused even more havoc, bowling our opener first ball of the match, then getting our no. 3 out caught behind, in consecutive deliveries, leaving me to come in to face the hat-trick ball at 2/0. I actually managed to score a couple of boundaries in the over, but the first ball of the second over the other opener got out to McKay! This meant, despite my efforts, we were condemned to a sub-par total of around 140 and their 'star-studded' batting lineup chased it down winning the match by 7 wickets.

Encouraged by my new discovery on how not to edge the ball every time, I have returned to legend mode.

RDH_debut.jpg

And shortly hit my first FC 50 against Middlesex

RDH_first_FC50.jpg

Before being comprehensively cleaned up for 56

Another century missed 2 in a row now...in One day....career mode
But this was quick in comparison to the previous one.....81 (47)
2014-09-20_00005.jpg
Got an edge of the AI batsman umpire didnt give it ....so I used DRS and it showed an edge .....catch cleanly taken....but then upmire totally ignores it..
2014-09-20_00015.jpg

I have a theory (and I havent nicked one yet, albeit only on one legend game)

We are penalized for not depressing the triggers at all. Im not sure how many people play without depressing any triggers, but now I am either blocking or playing aggressive ground shots, I am seeing slightly more promising results.

I've been playing exclusively on the offside on legend for a few days, and it's also my impression that I edge behind less with triggers depressed. I'd also say it's slightly more difficult to time the ball (you have to be a touch earlier, maybe?) and you can pop up infield catches if you really mess the timing up.

Always difficult to separate perceptions from what is actually happening, though.

I restarted a new career, fast bowling all rounder at #8. My 3 innnings so far have been 26, 37 no and 89 no, the last won the match after we were trailing by 164 runs when I came into bat. It seems to me when I bat positive the other batsman is also positive and when I start to block or mistime shots, he does crap as well. I believe the timing with batting got a lot easier, but at the same time the slower balls seem to deceive more. The fielding seems better a bit but bowling is harder, especially for pace.

Reactions: Ren
Maybe I should put this in the bug report section, but here's what happened in my career yesterday:

After playing DBC religiously every day or 2 for months I dutifully went to the first pre-season net last night.

Horrible form, edging a few when driving against our part time bowlers, got hit in the ribs twice by the bowling machine at 75mph and every catch stung my hands. About the only thing working was the front foot defensive shot but I wasn't even pressing left trigger!

Guess I'll have to keep increasing skill points over the next month + until the season starts in November.

Edit: and my shoulder/back muscles ache this morning as well.

Not happy @BigAntStudios

Encouraged by my new discovery on how not to edge the ball every time, I have returned to legend mode.

Hey bud, care sharing your discovery about reducing no. of edges with us? I'm struggling with edges while playing shots on the off side, especially against spinners, and any tips would be appreciated.

The key to reduce edges from my opinion is footwork, as long as your foot work is good, no of edges drop. The key is i actually look at my foot and the line the ball is being delivered and press the LS accordingly to the position it needs to be, from then on whichever direction you choose to play shouldn't be a problem. This may sound like a lot but actually when you do it, its easier. Doing your LS movement with respect to your foot instead of the shot is the key.
Hope this helps.
that said the no of edges have increased a bit with v1.14 but that shouldn't affect you i guess as your experiences are of the console one were it is reduced.

My career is being barraged with t20s, i hate them.3 t20 leagues = Player burnout.

Last edited:
Got an edge of the AI batsman umpire didnt give it ....so I used DRS and it showed an edge .....catch cleanly taken....but then upmire totally ignores it..
View attachment 130700[/QUOTE]
It happens.

It seems to me when I bat positive the other batsman is also positive and when I start to block or mistime shots, he does crap as well..
I agree with it......we needed 105 runs of 47 balls in BBL semifinal....I came and started hitting balls and AI also did the same ...and we won ....first time they didnt batted like dumb..

Users who are viewing this thread