How's England?

zreh

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi all,

Im 17 years old, and I live in Richmond British Coloumbia Canada -a place where cricket is extremely unpopular.

I play in a league here, and the league has 6 divisions. 5th div., 4th div., 3rd div., 2nd div., 1st div., Premier div.

5th division is the worst, 4th is sencond worst, and so on...Because Canada is so multicultural, the cricket league is big, we have alot of Indians, pakistanis, auzzies, and so on...

I play for the Premier Division, and I usually open, or go 2 down.
I have an average 65, and in 18 games so far this year, i've scored 2 centuries (107, 102) and 8 half centuries (50, 55, 57, 61, 69, 73, 77, 80) I could have easily played for Canada U19, but my parents wont let me because of my studies...

Now the thing is...I would love to move to a country where cricket is a popular sport. I dont want to move to where i was born (India) because it's too populated for my liking, and after you've lived in a place like canada for 10 years, you dont even want to think of moving back to India...

so i was wondering, how is london england? Are there any good universites in London? I would love to study in london, and also play cricket seriously, where its challenging for me. My dream is to play county cricket, but i dont know if im good enough. I would love to further develop my skills and take cricket very seriously...

Is London nice? is it beautiful? Are there any other cities you guys reccomend??

I am really taking this seriously, and i would appriciate any help or information.
My parents don't support me, so I will bloody well support myself, and go chase my dream in a country where it's possible.

Thanks,

Zreh

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I wouldn't call London beautiful, but it's historic. Plenty of parks but also plenty of commuters.

There are a few good unis in London, but the Cambridge and Oxford universities are the very best. They even race in a boat each year! ;)

London is home to cricket (Lord's), the home of the MCC and Middlsex. On the other side of the Thames is The Bit Oval and Surrey.

Not a bad place to live, but then again I do live 100 miles away from it!

themuel1

International Coach
zreh said:
Hi all,

Im 17 years old, and I live in Richmond British Coloumbia Canada -a place where cricket is extremely unpopular.

I play in a league here, and the league has 6 divisions. 5th div., 4th div., 3rd div., 2nd div., 1st div., Premier div.

5th division is the worst, 4th is sencond worst, and so on...Because Canada is so multicultural, the cricket league is big, we have alot of Indians, pakistanis, auzzies, and so on...

I play for the Premier Division, and I usually open, or go 2 down.
I have an average 65, and in 18 games so far this year, i've scored 2 centuries (107, 102) and 8 half centuries (50, 55, 57, 61, 69, 73, 77, 80) I could have easily played for Canada U19, but my parents wont let me because of my studies...

Now the thing is...I would love to move to a country where cricket is a popular sport. I dont want to move to where i was born (India) because it's too populated for my liking, and after you've lived in a place like canada for 10 years, you dont even want to think of moving back to India...

so i was wondering, how is london england? Are there any good universites in London? I would love to study in london, and also play cricket seriously, where its challenging for me. My dream is to play county cricket, but i dont know if im good enough. I would love to further develop my skills and take cricket very seriously...

Is London nice? is it beautiful? Are there any other cities you guys reccomend??

I am really taking this seriously, and i would appriciate any help or information.
My parents don't support me, so I will bloody well support myself, and go chase my dream in a country where it's possible.

Thanks,

Zreh

Come to Brighton. It has very good Uni's, Sussex CCC right on the doorstep, and it is only 45 mins from London. Great Seafront, lot's too do........Have I sold it?

DANNY79

Club Cricketer
I believe durham is a good university plus it has the best cricket acdamey in the country.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Southend-On-Sea is nice, it has the University of Essex, it's right by the sea and you can play for the Essex Eagles!

FishBowlMan

Club Cricketer
SkateBoarder said:
Southend-On-Sea is nice, it has the University of Essex, it's right by the sea and you can play for the Essex Eagles!
Are you sure? IMO Southend is a total dump! I grew up and spent 27 years in a small town called Burnham-on-Crouch - about 7 miles away as the crow flies. The best bit is the sign saying "You are now leaving Southend!" Southend is actually on the Thames, and I thought the University of Essex was in Colchester.

Now the bit about playing for the Eagles I totally support :D

Zreh, what do you want to study? If I were you, I would take this into account when choosing a location as some uni's are better than others at certain subjects.

I like Birmingham as a city (I'm slightly biased as I lived there for 3 years). Its a multi-cultural city with more of a relaxed attitude than London, and I find the people of the Midlands to be very friendly. They've even started giving me some of their accent too :eek:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well, In Norwich we have the University of East Anglia but we don't have a major county team, but we are second in the Minor Counties Championship East Division and in the final of the Minor Counties Knockout Cup!:)

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
In India there is too much compatition(because of population).It's very difficult to get into a Cricket team.
There are coaching camps where one has to wait for months to get some batting at the nets.

But once u get into the national team ,u become Riche Rich.

zreh

Club Cricketer
FishBowlMan said:
Are you sure? IMO Southend is a total dump! I grew up and spent 27 years in a small town called Burnham-on-Crouch - about 7 miles away as the crow flies. The best bit is the sign saying "You are now leaving Southend!" Southend is actually on the Thames, and I thought the University of Essex was in Colchester.

Now the bit about playing for the Eagles I totally support :D

Zreh, what do you want to study? If I were you, I would take this into account when choosing a location as some uni's are better than others at certain subjects.

I like Birmingham as a city (I'm slightly biased as I lived there for 3 years). Its a multi-cultural city with more of a relaxed attitude than London, and I find the people of the Midlands to be very friendly. They've even started giving me some of their accent too :eek:

I want to study either automotive engineering or mechanical engineering.
I would love to stay in a beautiful town or city, but i would prefer if it wouldn't be a one horse town...if you know what i mean :)

I have been looking on the internet about england, and looking at some of the universities. The thing is, I dont know if i will make a county team. It's very competitive and I only just turned 17 this past june. But if i practise, and get better, hopefully it will be a possibility.

I mean i really dont like bragging about myself, but even in the premier league i play in, its just easy for me. I rarely find a competitive bowler, and when i do find a good one, it turns out that they play for the Canadian national team :rolleyes: It's not much fun for me playing in BC... How much is the salary in GBP anually if you do end up playing county?? I mean, one day, when im stable and make good salary, i'll come back and hopefully play for canada.

BTW, thanks guys for all your help...each of the cities you have mentioned, i have gone on the internet, and found out more about it.

thanks again,

Zreh

Sureshot

Executive member
Edinburgh university is very good. If i were you i would try Durham they love there sport there and if you can cope with the Geordie accent you'll be fine :D

FreddieFan

International Coach
FishBowlMan said:
I find the people of the Midlands to be very friendly.

Yay, thats me (Wolverhampton)!

As you're after a beautiful city, I'd say Reading or Chester. Don't know much about the Uni's though - I'm only 15!

Sureshot

Executive member
For living expenses i would stay north of London, houses in my Area which is about 60 miles south of London and about 13 miles west of Brighton averages around ?180,000.

Just an example of the prices. We live in a 3 bedroom semi detatched house with about 70 foot garden. Nice area, but near two main roads. One being the main south coast road. Our house is valued at about ?320,000. Edinburgh or Durham would be best choice imo.

themuel1

International Coach
Sureshot said:
For living expenses i would stay north of London, houses in my Area which is about 60 miles south of London and about 13 miles west of Brighton averages around ?180,000.

Just an example of the prices. We live in a 3 bedroom semi detatched house with about 70 foot garden. Nice area, but near two main roads. One being the main south coast road. Our house is valued at about ?320,000. Edinburgh or Durham would be best choice imo.

Yeah, it's very expensive down here! We got our house 15 years ago for ?80,000, now it's worth ?250,000 because of the demand for houses in my area. It's very hard to get on the property ladder.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yep, and of course the benefits don't make a difference. ?500 here for a 2 bedroom flat PCM. Ridiculous,

Users who are viewing this thread