ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think you are taking things negatively due to the loss yesterday. Clearly, I had no such intentions. Instead of getting emotional, take it in a positive way because it was meant to say in positive gesture.[DOUBLEPOST=1562864590][/DOUBLEPOST]The Englishmen should calm down a bit, surely their team rightfully in the finals but there is no need to take a dig at each other for no reason.

To be fair, you did mention about vengeance. The last series we played in England had zero controversies and I’ve always maintained that England are slightly better than India in ODIs especially on batting or pace friendly pitches. The only thing I would like to see this team do is win a test series there and we were fairly competitive last time despite shooting ourselves in the foot with questionable team selections throughout the series.

Quite simply put, there is no reason for India to seek vengeance over England just because they happened to be the better team in one group stage game that proved to be not worth much in the grand scheme of things to India because they got into the top spot anyway.

Bevab

Staff Member
I'm really torn about who to support in the final, both great and very likeable teams from a neutral perspective.

The dilemma is real. To make matters worse, NZ have dropped the freeloaders like Munro, Sodhi, Southee and are actually playing the right players! :p

Bevab

Staff Member
Poor way to end a not so poor but not perfect World Cup, good luck to England and New Zealand in the Final. Would love to see our Trans Tasman rivals lift the trophy, winning a World Cup feels amazing, especially as a fan. Attention moves to the Ashes now, hope I will see some of you guys over in that thread next month :p

Australia definitely exceeded expectations, they were unlucky to lose that small bit of form right before the knockouts. This is still an outstanding achievement from a team that last won a series in January 2017 prior to the last two months. Langer has done an amazing job and should definitely be backed irrespective of what happens in the Ashes.

Alexei.

User Title Purchaser
PAK...
NZ....
LQ
QG
Sydney Thunder
That was a troll post, if you saw how it ended. It said "Pakistan are the fourth best team after Australia" :p
Yup cause we defeated some teams which the world no1 couldn't that's very surprising though.
On another note, I want to know when India and England are clashing after the World Cup? India has a vengeance due for sure.[DOUBLEPOST=1562863745][/DOUBLEPOST]

Because they are the lovers of the Game in the truest sense. They have lived that Gold Cricket era and they have been with best of the best commentators of those times who used to commentate beyond the fact that their home side is playing.
yup, Forgot Nasser Hussain.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yup cause we defeated some teams which the world no1 couldn't that's very surprising though.

yup, Forgot Nasser Hussain.

And the world's no.1 team defeated the team that defeated these two teams. We can go around in circles till the cows come home mate. NZ ENG played the big moments best, they're in the finals and one of them will be champions.

Can we for the sake of christ drop all conspiracies, theories and all the other merry go round conversations?

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
To be fair, you did mention about vengeance. The last series we played in England had zero controversies and I’ve always maintained that England are slightly better than India in ODIs especially on batting or pace friendly pitches. The only thing I would like to see this team do is win a test series there and we were fairly competitive last time despite shooting ourselves in the foot with questionable team selections throughout the series.

Quite simply put, there is no reason for India to seek vengeance over England just because they happened to be the better team in one group stage game that proved to be not worth much in the grand scheme of things to India because they got into the top spot anyway.

That is your view and it should be respected. While I want to see more matches between India and England in the near future (ODI Format), In light of that fixture as England at this stage is at its supreme best and with them Winning the World Cup the confidence level will go super high for them so a rivalry between two the top sides is the spirit of sports and I used the word vengeance in that sense we can use any alternate word here but the main competition between India and England is Indian Batting vs England Batting at the moment.

It wasn't a crucial match for India in the grand scheme of things but it was the most crucial game from England's perspective the way they smashed the spinners all over the park and ended the winning streak was a huge morale booster for them. For sure when you beat a top side your morale goes up a lot

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
And the world's no.1 team defeated the team that defeated these two teams. We can go around in circles till the cows come home mate. NZ ENG played the big moments best, they're in the finals and one of them will be champions.

Can we for the sake of christ drop all conspiracies, theories and all the other merry go round conversations?

Yup. It was a merry go round and pointless to talk about it. India beat Pakistan, who beat England, who beat India. Same way Australia beat New Zealand, who beat India, who beat Australia.

The final point is - India topped the league stage and are the No. 3 in this tournament (if you compare the margin of defeats in both the semifinals).

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Yup. It was a merry go round and pointless to talk about it. India beat Pakistan, who beat England, who beat India. Same way Australia beat New Zealand, who beat India, who beat Australia.

The final point is - India topped the league stage and are the No. 3 in this tournament (if you compare the margin of defeats in both the semifinals).

And frankly, my opinion is that only the winner matters. May be, a little the runner up trophy. 3/4/5/10, really doesn't matter to me.

I am not one of the people who will say India deserved it, because we choked when the opportunity presented itself. Australia should be very proud of their comeback. They have once again shows us how they are one of the mentally toughest sides.

England have played the best limited overs cricket for the last 4 years and would be deserving champions in my opinion but there's something extremely luring about Kane and Boult which will make me very torn about Sunday. I also have a huge soft spot for Jos and Ben. So..weird Sunday awaits.[DOUBLEPOST=1562873196][/DOUBLEPOST]I want to ask @aditya123 @abhi_jacko @SaiSrini @Bigby Wolf @Bevab @Naman Thakur and most other regs here-

Where to from here for India? How strong do you think are the chances of us being blessed with a new skipper and coach? We know for a fact that we have lost countless series which we should have won with the right approach! Kohli still too powerful?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I want to ask @aditya123 @abhi_jacko @SaiSrini @Bigby Wolf @Bevab @Naman Thakur and most other regs here-

Where to from here for India? How strong do you think are the chances of us being blessed with a new skipper and coach? We know for a fact that we have lost countless series which we should have won with the right approach! Kohli still too powerful?

Do you really think BCCI and the selectors will be inclined to think that this WC result warrants a change of captain? IMHO, I don't really think BCCI will touch Kohli's captaincy. We might most likely see a change of coach (Shastri's contract would have ended after WC), but if Kohli stays captain, the new coach coming in would be another 'yes man'. BCCI will want one single captain across formats and Kohli's job would be saved due to that Australia test series win that we achieved with the help of David Warner and Steve Smith's absence.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Do you really think BCCI and the selectors will be inclined to think that this WC result warrants a change of captain? IMHO, I don't really think BCCI will touch Kohli's captaincy. We might most likely see a change of coach (Shastri's contract would have ended after WC), but if Kohli stays captain, the new coach coming in would be another 'yes man'. BCCI will want one single captain across formats and Kohli's job would be saved due to that Australia test series win that we achieved with the help of David Warner and Steve Smith's absence.

Surely the sham selection panel will go?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Surely the sham selection panel will go?

I hope the selection panel is changed. Not sure when their term is slated to end. They have surely contributed to the chaos surrounding the WC selection and should be held responsible for Rayudu's sudden retirement.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
And frankly, my opinion is that only the winner matters. May be, a little the runner up trophy. 3/4/5/10, really doesn't matter to me.

I am not one of the people who will say India deserved it, because we choked when the opportunity presented itself. Australia should be very proud of their comeback. They have once again shows us how they are one of the mentally toughest sides.

England have played the best limited overs cricket for the last 4 years and would be deserving champions in my opinion but there's something extremely luring about Kane and Boult which will make me very torn about Sunday. I also have a huge soft spot for Jos and Ben. So..weird Sunday awaits.[DOUBLEPOST=1562873196][/DOUBLEPOST]I want to ask @aditya123 @abhi_jacko @SaiSrini @Bigby Wolf @Bevab @Naman Thakur and most other regs here-

Honestly, our management is too drunk (in Shastri's case literally) to see their own failures. To fix things you need to accept that you have failed at something. If you view it as one bad day you won`t be able to fix it. From the onset, we knew that we were picking men for the 200/2 game situation. Not one guy was picked on the basis of the ability to wear the opposition onslaught. If questioned, they will cite the win %s in the last 4 years and the number of series won and the wins in Australia, etc. That's all they`ve done. Indian cricket must judge itself more harshly, and that can only happen if we had a board, to begin with. It begins with an actual functional BCCI. MSD the captain still had strong selection committee and guys like Sandeep Patil/Kris Srikkant heading the selection. We need a stable head and stability in selection. You see what that stability has done in case of Pandya. On the flip side, you see what the musical chairs approach has done to folks like Rahane (in tests and Pujara previously). We`ve messed up umpteen number of games across formats with a poor judgement of conditions and outright disastrous selection (2 spinners on a damp Lords track!). Nobody, absolutely nobody pointed that out or hold them accountable. Indian cricket has gone from a time when an SF finish would feel like an achievement to one where anything less than a win is a failure.

Let's take this to the Indian Team discussion though! The English and Kiwi fans deserve their week of glory! Hope we have the closest final in WC history, one for the ages to showcase the sport to the non-cricket watching public. Here's hoping it inspires a generation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread