harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I feel sad for Yuvraj. Yes, you do abuse players when they don't perform and drag the team down (not the country, just the team) because you are so passionate about the game and feel emotional about it, but after the game ends, you forget everything... But to pelt stones on their family and all is just pure rubbish....

Yuvraj is a hero, has been a hero and will be one forever. You cant crucify him like this. Yes, I am disappointed that he pulled the team down with his slow performance, but to me, Yuvraj Singh will always be India's hero, the guy who won us two World titles. but I also do think his time is over. I dont believe he will make it to the World Cup 2015 squad.

Yes, pelting stones or even holding dharna before a player's house is a ridiculous reaction to a game of cricket.

That being said, the system of "Sentimental selections" need to end in Indian cricket if we are to ever be a consistent world-beating side. Australia ditch their best captains when they are past their prime. Why are we Indians so sentimental?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yes, pelting stones or even holding dharna before a player's house is a ridiculous reaction to a game of cricket.

That being said, the system of "Sentimental selections" need to end in Indian cricket if we are to ever be a consistent world-beating side. Australia ditch their best captains when they are past their prime. Why are we Indians so sentimental?

I dont really think Yuvraj for this tournament was a sentimental selection. Lot of people believed Yuvraj still had it to do well in this format of the game. That's why he got the price tag of 14 crores in the IPL (because people obviously thought he can be a major player in this format).

If Yuvraj had a sentimental selection in his favor, it was that selection of his after he recovered from cancer. That was a sentimental selection. But for this tournament, it was not. He was dropped from the side and has been out of it for quite sometime.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I meant "sentimental" in terms of relying on past glories and not on current form and domestic performances.

Yuvi's history in the ICC events is glorious, but 2007 is years ago and 2011 was before his cancer, but clearly the selectors did not realize that he is now past his prime, most likely physically also not that fit for this hectic format. It was obvious that he tried really hard to perform, but his body is probably not taking it any more.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
'The match was already fixed' - Funniest thing I heard so far about yesternight final.:lol

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

These letters keep sprouting up every now and then after such events/incidents take place.

I am not defending the acts of pelting stones in players houses. But that cant be used to criticize the country. SL have been lucky that they have not had people in their country who do such acts. Sri Lankans are always known more as passive/calm/quiet people. They come from a land where Buddha is reverred very highly. So they have not reacted like how India does. Its all a personality thing. Yes, it has to change but you can be yourself as long as you don't hurt anyone with your emotions.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It is stupid to generalize and judge a wide range of fans based on how a handful of deranged idiots act.

Also, I don't understand what SL's struggle with their board and the general well-paidness of Indian players has anything to do with how fans on either side behave. Every team has hardcore fans who stick with their team despite going through lows. That's the great thing about the passion that any sports generates.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
To plenty of those who asked me questions about Santokie before the World Cup, what do you think of him now?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Yuvraj is a hero, has been a hero and will be one forever. You cant crucify him like this. Yes, I am disappointed that he pulled the team down with his slow performance, but to me, Yuvraj Singh will always be India's hero, the guy who won us two World titles. but I also do think his time is over. I dont believe he will make it to the World Cup 2015 squad.

Is this you speaking ? Cause, similar lines have been spoken about Yuvraj by Sachin Tendulkar- unless you are the great Tendulkar yourself:D

poojasinha

School Cricketer
Yuvraj could have played better

I dont really think Yuvraj for this tournament was a sentimental selection. Lot of people believed Yuvraj still had it to do well in this format of the game. That's why he got the price tag of 14 crores in the IPL (because people obviously thought he can be a major player in this format).

If Yuvraj had a sentimental selection in his favor, it was that selection of his after he recovered from cancer. That was a sentimental selection. But for this tournament, it was not. He was dropped from the side and has been out of it for quite sometime.

I was one such hopeful person on Yuvraj but utterly disappointed at how the series had to end. I followed almost all the matches on Star Sports since the timings clashed with my work hours. One way to divert your disappointment I guess is to believe that it was Jayawardene's and Sangakkara's last match.. Whatever it was you have to give it to the Lankan player's bowling!

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
To plenty of those who asked me questions about Santokie before the World Cup, what do you think of him now?

One who rules in the powerplay and has extra-ordinary talent about bowl speed variation.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Is this you speaking ? Cause, similar lines have been spoken about Yuvraj by Sachin Tendulkar- unless you are the great Tendulkar yourself:D

I wish I was the great Tendulkar himself. :p:D

But Sachin also said he wants to see Yuvi in the 2015 WC squad. I sincerely believe thats a tough thing to happen. For that, Yuvraj has to convert that anger and hurt inside him and blast out like a volcano and start performing big. But the positive side of it is, he has done it before. Whenever he was dumped/targeted, he has responded in blazing fashion.

Lets see. I am not going to await that "rise from the Ashes" kind of story from Yuvraj.

Users who are viewing this thread