I'm Confused (What's new......)

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
In FTP? How are you camping? And to be frank, it won't do you any good. Your players won't train faster than any other ones, good academy or not, and then as their wages shoot up the amount you earn from Sponsorship and prize money won't be enough.

There is a great advantage to promoting here. Significant increases in prize money (They aren't at full value yet, to prevent sides who got lucky to make it to the top divs early from gaining from it, but they are increasing each season and are expected to be at full value in a few more seasons), and sponsorship money.

"Your players won't train faster than any other ones, good academy or not,"

Erm, what? Taken from the FTP rules. "The status of your youth and senior academies influence the speed at which your players increase their skills through training"

"as their wages shoot up the amount you earn from Sponsorship and prize money won't be enough."

As their wages shoot up I sell them, to be replaced with lesser players.

" but they [prize money] are increasing each season and are expected to be at full value in a few more seasons"

Well in a few more seasons I may use my ill gotten gains to push for the higher leagues and more money. For now I will keep an average team while selling players to make money. I am at 1.8million now.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I meant that the difference won't be all the great. You don't gain from camping, unlike in BT where you could load ten nets on a guy and camp. All your players will have to train, making it impossible to train a super allrounder that much faster than the next guy.

How can you possibly stay on top of your league if you sell off your good players? Unless your league is full of bots, I don't see how it is possible. The new players would be able to overcome you in a season or two.

And buying players is again, not as easy as you make it sound. An Accomplished batsman will cost 1 mill+. As will a very good youth. In a few more seasons, Accomplished players will be making up the reserves of some of the best sides. The secret to success here is to get a few good youths, and train them to be the core of your team, while using your cash to buy 1 or 2 good players to fill in. And as it stands, a Div 1 team stands to earn, I'd predict, more than a million and a half in a season, without selling players. And this is ever increasing.

Plus, how would you be making NT players? How many have you sold so far? You pull a good youth, fine, train him, then sell him off when he is high skilled. All while keeping a weak squad to stay in a low division. I don't think it is possible to consistently win, so you are camping mid-table, which is quite opposite to in BT where you can get a play-off and lose. Winning here means auto-promotion. So you'll have to be number 3 at the highest. With meagre prize money, but I assume low wages, you can make a small weekly income. If you have a massive ground, you might be earning from that, but I believe there is a soft cap for membership numbers for each division in place, so that will eventually hit a limit. Your main income is from selling players. A NT player needs to be Reliable+ for the larger countries, so unless you were insanely lucky with your starting squad/youths (As most managers of NT players were), and honestly thought this was a better road to success than riding on the strength of these players to get to a top division, then the only other way would have been either buying good youths or going for minnow players. In the case of minnows, it would have been very easy to have several NT quality youths and sell them off, but not for a great deal of cash each.

Now, if I assume you are selling off Capable skilled players, and earning from that, and in 3 seasons time aim to by Expert+ players, then I'll have to say there is a flaw in this, as in 3 seasons these Capable players would have been Expert anyways, and secondly that the market is starting to hit inflation like BT did, and soon it will be near impossible to buy high skilled players like on BT. Unless you are planning to invest in great youths, in which case you could have just done that right now with the players you have sold, and saved a lot of time.

So I really would like to know how the hell you are camping? And even if you are, you are still giving other sides a chance to promote, unlike in BT. Also, if you aim to fill your squad with NT players, trust me, it won't work. You'll be crippled on weeks with tours.

And feel free to say what you think is wrong with the FTP Match Engine. My attitude is superior cause I know it is the better engine, I have played both and seen how both have been developed over time, and FTP is better by far. But if you do think it is behind BT in any aspect, feel free to point it out.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I am camping in and around division 3 Zimbabwe. I'll finish 2nd/3rd in all leagues pretty easily.

camping is a big "problem" in hattrick. Which has training more like FTP than Battrick (you train players who play, for example if you train play making CM get a large boost to play making, while other positions get it to a lesser extent) The way to camp in it is to train up players and sell them, while keeping a team good enough to finish second/lose a promotion play off in an easy league. You stockpile huge amounts of cash and buy a monster team and race up the divisions. This is what I intend to do. To keep my interest while I am amassing this cash I am training NT (I should have said U-19, really. As I am ploughing a fairly large amount into my youth academy

I don't think there is anything wrong with the match engine, I prefer the simplicity of Battrick's (maybe I have just grown accustomed to it) I don't see what talents such as slower balls add really.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Adds more unpredictability. Adds more depth to decision making.

So you are coming about third in each division, so you are still allowing teams above you to promote.

And you don't need to play players to train them here. Essentially, you could still be in a higher league and training players to sell them. If these players are worth selling, then you could just keep them and train them to use for yourself. My theory is a 16 year old Ordinary should be equal to a 18 year old Capable, all talents and extras equal, as a 16 year old Ord will turn Capable by 18 anyways. I doubt you'll be able to buy a better squad than what you could have by training these same players, especially since inflation is hitting. I really don't think that idea will work. It is like how in BT you see a player worth 5 M. at the moment, but by the time you save up the 5M. to get that player, the same player is now worth 7M. It will be far easier to just develop your own players.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Adds more unpredictability. Adds more depth to decision making.

So you are coming about third in each division, so you are still allowing teams above you to promote.

And you don't need to play players to train them here. Essentially, you could still be in a higher league and training players to sell them. If these players are worth selling, then you could just keep them and train them to use for yourself. My theory is a 16 year old Ordinary should be equal to a 18 year old Capable, all talents and extras equal, as a 16 year old Ord will turn Capable by 18 anyways. I doubt you'll be able to buy a better squad than what you could have by training these same players, especially since inflation is hitting. I really don't think that idea will work. It is like how in BT you see a player worth 5 M. at the moment, but by the time you save up the 5M. to get that player, the same player is now worth 7M. It will be far easier to just develop your own players.

"Adds more unpredictability. Adds more depth to decision making."

More unpredictability means your decisions are less important, doesn't it?

"So you are coming about third in each division, so you are still allowing teams above you to promote."

Yes. Camping does not necessarily mean preventing others from promoting, merely that you are "camped" at a certain level. A bad side effect of that is often preventing others from promoting.

"And you don't need to play players to train them here." yes i know, i was drawing a comparison. I hattrick camping is prevalent, yet you can't pile a lot of training on individual players, it is a more even spread.

I do think the training updates by via email is an ace feature. Would like to see Allan steal that (sure I have seen it on the dev board at some point. I know I asked if there was a way we could updates without being on the main battrick site) However I am not bothered enough about FTP to buy credits for it, and it isn't blocked in my 6th form (BT is blocked and I have bene bothered to buy membership. Sod's law?)

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Nope. If you pick a weaker bowler with a slower ball talent over a better bowler with no talent, you are taking a risk. A risk that that talent may get you a wicket, while at the same time it might do nothing and the bowler gets caned because he is weaker. You have to decide whether you want that risk, whether your other bowlers can pick up the slack if he doesn't fire, or if the safer option is what you need. On a flat pitch, some managers want their best bowlers to contain the batsmen, others play as many triggered talents as they can in the hope to buy some wickets. It's another tactical level in the game. Same with the triggered batting talents, which also add whether you should set your Boundary hitter to defensive and let the talent do the boundary scoring, or aggressive to tear the bowling apart.
And then there are bonuses for LH/RH combinations and a variety in bowling attack, skilled and opener/finisher and old ball/new ball talents to consider, as well as the pitch and conditions, and picking a team is definately a lot harder than on BT. More fun as well, and more rewarding to see your tactics pay off.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Nope. If you pick a weaker bowler with a slower ball talent over a better bowler with no talent, you are taking a risk. A risk that that talent may get you a wicket, while at the same time it might do nothing and the bowler gets caned because he is weaker. You have to decide whether you want that risk, whether your other bowlers can pick up the slack if he doesn't fire, or if the safer option is what you need. On a flat pitch, some managers want their best bowlers to contain the batsmen, others play as many triggered talents as they can in the hope to buy some wickets. It's another tactical level in the game. Same with the triggered batting talents, which also add whether you should set your Boundary hitter to defensive and let the talent do the boundary scoring, or aggressive to tear the bowling apart.
And then there are bonuses for LH/RH combinations and a variety in bowling attack, skilled and opener/finisher and old ball/new ball talents to consider, as well as the pitch and conditions, and picking a team is definately a lot harder than on BT. More fun as well, and more rewarding to see your tactics pay off.
FTP hasn't gripped me enough to spend the time required to sort everything out in regards to my team. I do not no why that is, maybe it's because Battrick has all ready filled my need for an online cricket management game and FTP isn't fresh enough.

It's not a bad game, I enjoy it a little bit. I have not caught FTP fever enough to spend the time required to sort out tactics as thoroughly as possible, and currently I have no desire to.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Hmm. I was growing frustrated with BT about the time FTP came in, as the matches were just too stale and routine, too predictable, and there was nothing extra to think about. I could just play the same XI every game on any pitch in any condition against any one and not worry. I started to play really weakened sides against bots/noobs in order to get an exciting match. Then there was the training, where it too got predictable. 10 nets, share between a 17 YO Resp, 18 YO Superb, and 19 YO Remarakble. Turn 20, take him off, give 17 YO resp his spot. Again, was tempted to train a guy as high as I could, or maybe take a guy from Worthless in a skill to something great. And NT games were a joke, and having a NT players was like that White Elephant gift thing I said earlier, a great gift which is more of a burden than a joy, what with the amount of food elephants eat and the space they take up and the maintainence they require. Same with NT players, huge wages, almost always tired, and only one player who just had 10 overs or batted from one end. It was just too stale and too limited of a game, with very little signs of improving. I was willing to wait for the new engine and try it out, and FC games were a lot of fun even if obvious things like pitch condition, ball deterioation, were ignored and tailenders could bat for ages, and if you scored poorly in the first innings against a weak side, you were almost guaranteed to kill them in the next innings. It was fun, but FTP was just far more exciting and interesting. For me atleast.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Are you keeping your battrick team ticking over? Or is it completely abandoned?

Neither game is even remotely close to perfect. FC is a huge advantage for BT, it's brilliant.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
The team's dead now.

FC is planned for FTP, but there is hardly time in the week. The Pavillion Cup, T20, YOD and SOD take up 4 days. But who knows, the calender could always be re-jigged. At the moment, Youth Team players can play in Senior OD and T20 and the PC along with their YOD games. But if say, SOD and YOD were clumped on one day, with one day for T20 and one for the Cup/Friendlies, then there would be room for an 3-day game, but then Youths can't play in the SOD or T20, and might only be allowed to feature in YOD and The Cup. So it is unlikely this ever will be implemented in FTP :(.

ansariaamir_leo

International Cricketer
The motive behind this thread is lost and its converted into which is better BT or FTP thread :p

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Thread evolution :p

FTP has the edge on features, match engine, and general playability.
BT has the edge on community (although that won't be for too long) and FC.

So FTP wins!
End of Discussion :) :p

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thread evolution :p

FTP has the edge on features, match engine, and general playability.
BT has the edge on community (although that won't be for too long) and FC.

So FTP wins!
End of Discussion :) :p

BT is best, FTP has been made after BT.

BT wins ;) End OF Topic :D

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I just think with FTP having international teams of UAE, Holland etc make it silly because those teams wouldn't have a bigger enough database to make a competitve side. BT has changed it so you can pull players from different countries which is good. I agree BT hasn't got the National scene right but I don't think FTP has either.

Users who are viewing this thread