India A and West Indies A Tour of UK, June-July 2010

I'm really tempted to go along when they're playing in glasgow.

it might be worth a peak. In a few years I might be able to brag about seeing one of them (pandey is tipped for big things yah?) before they were even full internationals and how "even then they looked class" even though I have no real ability to discern raw talent at all, but I can lie. you didn't see this post.

StinkyBoHoon added 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

ooh, and I don't know if the windies are playing here, but it might hilarious to see Pollard mascerate our pie-chuckers. I think the ground is like 30 mins from my house so I've no excuse.

Certainly! Sri Lanka knocked them out of the tournament today. Hopefully we'll see a much better show in this tournament with them taking on their equals.

I'm really tempted to go along when they're playing in glasgow.

it might be worth a peak. In a few years I might be able to brag about seeing one of them (pandey is tipped for big things yah?) before they were even full internationals and how "even then they looked class" even though I have no real ability to discern raw talent at all, but I can lie. you didn't see this post.

Well, all the batsmen are great at domestic level. So you can choose who you want to support.

My two favourites are Manoj Tiwary and Manish Pandey. Tiwary is Bengal's lone warrior with the bat generally, and plays at the Eden Gardens, where batting isn't so easy at times. He idolises Kevin Pietersen, and plays in a fashion similar to KP. Has been great the last few seasons, and he averaged 99 in one season, where Bengal lost in the finals to Mumbai, and he hit a superb 95 in that match too, in a big partnership with Ganguly. Tiawry generally bats at 4, but with the amount of batting in this India A line-up, they've made him bat 6, which is interesting to say the least.

Manish Pandey, on the other hand, is an attacking middle order batsman who has just finished his first proper season with Karnataka. Had a few games last season, but didn't get a first team slot. It was his IPL 100, the first Indian to score one and the only in foreign South African conditions, that brought him into the spotlight. Pandey has all the shots in the book, and he plays some really good cheeky strokes as well. His trademark is the half-sweep, half-flick, where he gets ready to sweep, but at the last possible moment flicks it fine. Pandey is just 20 too, so he has time on his side. He was also part of the U19 World Cup winning squad,which Kohli and Jadeja were a part of, although he didn't influence the victory as much as them. Mukund and Saurabh Tiwary were also a part of this squad. The great thing about Pandey is that his runs have come on his home ground, which is seamer friendly, thus making it a challenge for any batsman to bat on. And a lot of his knocks have come when Karnataka have been in trouble. Pandey also looks to have a lot of time to play shots, which is usually the mark of a class batsman. Pandey is probably one of the best fielders in India too, besides Kohli, Raina and Manoj Tiwary. His knock in the Ranji final this year was brilliant, although Karnataka lost by 6 runs.

Ranji Trophy final: Manish Pandey on track for national reckoning | Cricket Features | Ranji Trophy Super League 2009-10 | Cricinfo.com

This is a great article on Pandey. And, why he's so highly rated.

Rahane and Pujara are the other highly rated ones, although I don't really rate Rahane because he continuously fails in big games, so I question his temperament. Pujara is Dravid-like. Rahane averages 63 I think, and Pujara averages 57. Saurabh averages 50, Pandey averages 50, Manoj Tiwary is 53 I think, Mukund averages 55. So yeah, all these guys are pretty good. Dhawan averages only 45 though. Jadhav is somewhere up there too.

It's the bowlers I'm worried about. :p Kulkarni and Tyagi are good though, so let's see how they go.

Coming back to the match, Dhawan's made a century already and Mukund got out for 91. This is not Yorkshire's first team though I think, and it's really a warm-up match for these guys. Rahane and Dhawan are batting right now.

Last edited:
India A made 473/3(95 overs) on the first day versus Yorkshire. Mukund 91, Dhawan 179, Rahane 118, Pujara 55* and Pandey 11*. Pretty good stuff. Don't think this is even Yorkshire's complete first eleven though, so yeah, this is just a warm-up for the guys. So let's not judge anything yet.

West Indies A bowled out Glamorgan for 261, with Odean Brown picking up 5 wickets, Tonge getting 3 and Baker getting 2. They were 11/2 at stumps though.

West Indies A have lined up with:

Devon Smith
Guillen
Phillips
Fletcher
Edwards
Fudadin
Walton
Khan
Baker
Tonge
Brown

Pollard just skipped this tour for T20s. I think it would have been better for his cricket to have come here and play ODs, rather than the T20s he is likely to play for Somerset. But I think the main reason for this maybe due to him not being offered a contract with the WICB

Kieron Pollard chooses Somerset over A tour | West Indies Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Good to see he has his priorities straight, or not.
He was given a chance to improve his game and play some 50 over cricket against strong opponents in some challenging conditions. Sadly he will get selected for the next ODI series instead of being thought a lesson.

Kulkarni is good. Gets swing and deviation even in Indian conditions. Saw him bowl live in Chennai, there is visible swing in the air even in sticky conditions for him. Granted he maxes out at like 127k's, but he is certainly better than guys like Dinda.

Kulkarni is good. Gets swing and deviation even in Indian conditions. Saw him bowl live in Chennai, there is visible swing in the air even in sticky conditions for him. Granted he maxes out at like 127k's, but he is certainly better than guys like Dinda.

He's certainly better and has proved it many times.

Everyone who watches domestic cricket knows Kulkarni is good. He can also bat.

The selection of Jaskaran Singh just baffles me. The guy bowled more overs than Kulkarni, and he bowled a lot of overs at the tail - Dhawal didn't bowl at the tail - yet, he couldn't pick up a single wicket! And, we've not even opted to take Sreesanth, Irfan or some other fast bowler on this tour. Mithun was removed, which means Unadkat/Jaskaran would play. Both haven't made FC debuts - this match was Jaskaran's first FC match!

Holy guacamole, Undrakant with 13 wickets in the match! Totally pwnt the WIA side, although unfortunately that is not saying much at this point.

Nevertheless, looked like a quality display of bowling by Undrakant! Would like to see more of this guy in the future.

@LL, yeah i'm surprised we didn't choose some more older bowlers. I think Irfan did decently enough in the IPL to warrant an A team selection. Forget about his form for the last few years, he is probably the most talented swing bowler in India. He just needs to find his touch again.

Time is on his side, hopefully he can bounce back like Zaheer did.

Holy guacamole, Undrakant with 13 wickets in the match! Totally pwnt the WIA side, although unfortunately that is not saying much at this point.

Nevertheless, looked like a quality display of bowling by Undrakant! Would like to see more of this guy in the future.

@LL, yeah i'm surprised we didn't choose some more older bowlers. I think Irfan did decently enough in the IPL to warrant an A team selection. Forget about his form for the last few years, he is probably the most talented swing bowler in India. He just needs to find his touch again.

Time is on his side, hopefully he can bounce back like Zaheer did.

Unadkat, not Undrakant! Really impressive stuff from the debutant.

Apparently the ball was swinging a country mile though. Especially in the morning sessions. West Indies were 63/6 in their morning session, but India were 53/7 in Day 3's morning session. Seems like a beauty to bowl on. The batsman who batted in the afternoon/evening found things much easier it seems. Good knock by Saha though, that partnership with Unadkat for the 10th wicket probably made the difference. Can't really rate the batsman, but Rahane seems to have done well - 66 and 30 odd not out. Got out in the morning session after apparently looking good in the evening on Day 2.

The thing is though, we need bowlers for the limited overs format. A lot of our bowlers are good at the long version, because they aren't accurate or have a lot of variation. Hopefully, Mithun gets sent back somehow. I don't even get why he was called to Zimbabwe.

Users who are viewing this thread