India in Australia

Who is going to win in Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tait isn't going to simply get better by bowling in domestic cricket, where he is quite dominant. Tait's last FC game was at the end of November, where he took ten wickets. However, the time between then and now is telling as he seems underprepared. Like any raw fast bowler, he needs to grow into the task. He's well proven at ODIs, but even that took a few games to get going.

No doubt he's been told to 'just bowl fast', when perhaps someone should say 'relax, forget about the speed guns; if it's coming out quick then it is coming out quick. Now, here's a plan we want you to try...'

Very true as I said after the first day he needs more test matches to settle himself in, 1 test every 2 years will see him always bowl like this.

I am just watching the highlights and that Ishant Sharma bouncer to Symonds was about 12 feet in the air!

I've always said that Tait is a two length bowler who seems to lack a bit of a fast bowling brain. I don't think Australia should persist with him in the Test arena really.

I've always said that Tait is a two length bowler who seems to lack a bit of a fast bowling brain. I don't think Australia should persist with him in the Test arena really.

There is no doubt that he is a two length bowler, but he does provide the wicket taking option. However, I think that Australia don't need such an option; their attack is good enough without one.

They would be better with a steady bowler like Hilfenhaus or a spinner like Brad Hogg.

It's not a case of putting it down to the two lengths, currently he hasn't been bowling any consistent length at all. The rhythm is not there. Ideally, he should be spearing it in towards the pads and swinging it away, not unlike Dale Steyn's better deliveries. However, like I said, I don't see much guidance, it seems like he's just there to bowl fast. Additionally, the pressure on Tait is immense, because he's not getting very much time to do anything and he knows that he's the second most likely player to get dropped in the XI.

However, the Australian selectors are not known to make flippant decisions, after all, the selection of Tait was said to be in consideration at each of the previous matches. It would be inconsistent if they were unprepared to back Tait.

Likewise, they have already shown significant support of both Tait and Johnson, over others such as Hilfenhaus (who is in terrible form this season) and it would be hugely unexpected to see them throw to a bowler far down the pecking order.

Personally, instead of Johnson, who seems to have completely lost the ability to swing the ball, I had been favouring Bracken, who aside from that left arm swing, is a very complete bowler, under-rated outside of his one-day efforts. However, that was back at Johnson's selection against Sri Lanka and I do not expect the selectors to be done with Johnson inside of 6, or even 9 matches.

It is a shame, Shaun Tait needs overs, overs and more overs to get a settled bowling action which he can repeat to some degree. However, he dominates Australian state cricket with a strike rate of just 44.7 and is not good enough for Test cricket. He does not have the right medium level to bowl a sheer quantity of overs.

Perhaps ODI cricket would be the place for him to ply his trade, but bowling 2 over spells will do nothing to help him develop a repeatable action. Perhaps he needs more time in the nets in the off season.

It would seem that you are right in that he has been picked to bowl fast. Unfortunately, 150kph is simply not fast enough for someone to succeed with pace alone. You need to be consistently around the 160kph mark (on a fast pitch) to outpace international batsmen.

Speaking of pace, I recently read that a study showed that international batsmen have the same reflexes as any other human but simply pick the line and length of a ball earlier, giving more time to play a shot...fascinating.

I think 150 kmph is fast enough to beat batsmen by pace alone, but then Tait hasn't hit anywhere near 150 in this match. He's been in the low 140s occasionally coming up to 147 but not consistently enough.

He's not skiddy too. Something i noticed about RP Singh is that he's not as quick as Tait, but the ball seems to come off the pitch faster with RP while with Tait it just seems to lose a bit.

I think 150 kmph is fast enough to beat batsmen by pace alone, but then Tait hasn't hit anywhere near 150 in this match. He's been in the 140s occasionally coming up to 147 but not consistently enough.

I have seen him hit 154kph in the match and hit 150kph a couple of times. Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly and Tendulkar have played Akhtar and Lee without trouble, so I don't think 150kph alone will trouble them.

what ageart day of cricket. top day for india.

india are in the better position but it is australia so anything can happen and its cricket anything can happen. i think india need to bat all day tomorrow and should be able to ad 300+ runs. if they can bat out all day tomorow.

as there is loads of time left in test they would want over 400 i think but that will be difficult.

pathan got 2 wickets good to see. hope he can do well with the bat aswell.

india have got a problem now on who would they pick for the 4th test. will h singh come back or stick with pathan.

I was so happy to find Pathan touching 140 though, this guy is going to be so big, he should stay and Harbhajan can go away for all I care.

The two overs of Tait I saw before lunch seemed to be promising. He was getting alot of pace (155 kmph), but was getting it to swing as well.
But his stats don't look good, so I guess it went downhill from there.

What is India going to do when we get our first-string quicks back? Sreesanth and Zaheer especially.
RP has looked really good, Pathan looked awesome today as well, Pankaj Singh and Praveen Kumar have been ripping sides apart in domestic cricket, and Ishanth has done well so far.

5 bowlers with Irfan being the allrounder?

Last edited:
A good day for India. But I think we should hold on to our seat as we know Indian batting can and has in many occasions collapse like anything.

Its going to be tough for the selectors once Zaheer and Sreesanth are fit. India is in the drivers seat right now, hope we bat well tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread