India in Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
saisrini80 said:
I would say it depends on what the captain decides to do if he wins the toss.

The captain should have his Super Sub depending on what he thinks the wicket is, etc. If its a batting beauty, he should have a batsman as a Super Sub because you need to have all 5 bowlers in the XI to increase any chances you have of either restricting the opposition to a low score or defending your target successfully!

If the wicket offers help to the bowlers, then he should have a bowler as a Super Sub. This is to ensure that you have all the batsmen that you need to score runs on a tough wicket for the batsmen!

Most probably we will have batting beauties for the forthcoming ODI series! So have a batsman as the Super Sub! And I feel India's Super Sub should be Virender Sehwag! This increases the Indian team's chances of restricting Pakistan's score in two counts that it gives us an additional 5th bowler and it also allows us to have Suresh Raina fielding along with Kaif, Yuvraj and Agarkar who are the quickest fielders in this Indian line up!

My final Indian XII

S.Tendulkar
MS Dhoni (or V.Sehwag if India wins the toss and get to decide what they want to do)
Suresh Raina
Md. Kaif
R. Dravid
Y. Singh
S.Raina
Irfan Pathan
Ajit Agarkar
Harbhajan Singh
Murali Kartik
RP Singh

Super Sub : Virender Sehwag
Not something I would recommend at all saisrini .
Look at my earlier post .
If you expect the pitches to be batting beauties, why do you need a batsman as supersub.

I`ll give an example along with my India XI

Sachin Tendulkar
V.Sehwag
M.Kaif
R.Dravid
Y.Singh
M.S.Dhoni
I.Pathan
A.Agarkar
M.Karthik
Z.Khan

Supersub : Sreesanth/R.P.Singh

If we bat first this lineup works well as expected and you have 5 bowlers with you .
If we bowl first and if a bowler gets thrashed around, he can always be subbed by Sreesanth or R.P.Singh who will hopefully be better (something Vander wath did in on of the VB Series matches).
So the supersub is utilized both ways .
If the 4 frontline bowlers do succeed , I would then not utilize my supersub.
As all the strategies, it depends on the toss but relatively more successful.

If your supersub is a batsman and you play 5 bowlers and 6 batsmen in the team and your team suddenly collapses to say 20/5 , very rarely will the supersubbed batsman bring you out of trouble as we saw with Gambhir in the India V SA game at Hyderabad in Nov 2005 .
Gambhir was out early and we lost our spinner in M.Karthik which proved decisive. The supersub was wasted.

Last edited:
Aditya, your team has only 10 players (excluding the Super Sub). Check it out!

So will your 11th player in the team be a batsman or a bowler? you right now have 5 batsman, 1 keeper and 4 bowlers. So do you say have 5 batsman, 1 keeper and 5 bowlers?

I wont really go for that theory because we need to tighten our line up with the batsmen! Its going to be a batsmen's game. With the 20 over field restriction, its even more tougher for the bowlers! But still you have to have 5 bowlers in the XI and not let the Super Sub rule decide whether you have 5 bowlers or 4 bowlers.

On a helpful wicket for the bowlers, you need just 4 in the XI and can have an additional bowler as the Super Sub if the toss goes in our favor!

Its all too complicated and a small change in the rule making it selectable after the toss would make it less complex!

saisrini80 said:
Its all too complicated and a small change in the rule making it selectable after the toss would make it less complex!
at least we fans have something more to discuss upon !
Both of us must try sending our strategies to Chappel and Rahul .
They seem quite decent !

I tend to agree with Aditya. If a line-up of Sehwag, Sachin, and Dravid fail on a batting wicket we must either (a) think about changing our batting line-up or (b) use more bowlers because the chances that the other batsmen fail are pretty high. These guys have averages in the 40's, sustained over looooooong periods of time (I guess Sehwag's average is in the 30's, though).

MY Indian Line up wioul be

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Raina
Dravid
Kaif
Y. Singh
Dhoni
Pathan
Agarkar
Harbhajan
RP Singh

Kartik:Super Sub

muhammad_inzi said:
no one got respect for ganguly.

Well....the thing is that Ganguly is so old now to play cricket...they r som new and young players waiting for their futur....and Ganguly doesn't play that well....Like he used too....

Going back to the supersub issue, I believe that the supersub SHOULD be opposite to the pitch.

For example, let's say its a flat track (no surprises there) , and the XI is :

(Pakistan)

Butt, Akmal, Younis, Yousuf, Inzy (Or Middle Order Batsman), Malik, Afridi, Razzaq, Rana, Shoaib, Asif.

Now, with that line up, we lose the toss. India bat (DUH!)

Why people are saying add another bowler, making rediculous line ups (FIVE BOWLERS!?) I have no idea.

My theory with the super sub rule, is that you should be reinforcing your team, instead of taking a chance, . It is negative thinking, yes, but think about it. India would always bat on that surface. With an extra batsman as the super sub, we have reinforcement to chase that large total India may make.

My point : Plan the supersub, for the case if we LOSE the toss, not win. If we win the toss, (YAY!) then obviously, you're gonna make a ton of runs, no need for a super-sub, and give your bowlers the confidence they can easily bowl the opposition out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread