India in South Africa

India is one of the strongest batting teams, even though we havn't shown it off late.
Pathan was a superb bowler. He troubled the aussies, was quick, and could swing it. Was seen as the "next Wasim Akram". Where did that all go? Now, he barley hits 100kmph, Can't swing it, and is now considered more of a batsman than a bowler. WE NEED A BOWLER IRFAN!!!!

Cricketman93 said:
India is one of the strongest batting teams, even though we havn't shown it off late.
Pathan was a superb bowler. He troubled the aussies, was quick, and could swing it. Was seen as the "next Wasim Akram". Where did that all go? Now, he barley hits 100kmph, Can't swing it, and is now considered more of a batsman than a bowler. WE NEED A BOWLER IRFAN!!!!
blame chappell for it

gambino said:
blame chappell for it

for what? :what

All i can say is, this is the testing time for us to face more difficulties! As i said b4, Players have to develope the mental toughness before taking a bat or ball!

Its of no use, when a poor coward soldier go and stand in front of a enemy to battle! its as simple as that! ;)

Indian players lack self confidence and thats troubling us! In this issue, we have to learn a lots from Lara... becos whenever Windies play against Aussies, Lara will say " Aussies are beatable " but our respectable capatian will say, " we have to learn from our mistakes " which is never going to happen unless players are confident on their ownselves first!

I have never seen Sachin almost shivering to handle the bat which is happening in recent matches!

sohummisra said:
As I said in the previous page, we should go in with the classical line-up. I would even go in with Pathan as the seventh batsmen and part-time bowler because it is quite clear that we will be going into these tests trying to draw them.

if we have to make a fight out of this, we need to go in with a "winning attitude"

Shevchenko said:
India are a team with great potential but for me their structures are completely wrong, it's still a wonder that England still completes well in internationals, the reason why I am saying this is that India have too many sides playing in their domestic season, just like England. If you look at Australia, they have only got six sides compared to what 30 the Indians have in their domestic league, South Africa had 14 sides in their domestic league but they brought it down also to six sides, making it strength versus strength...the sooner India can do that, the better it will be for cricket. People are blaming the players, but it's not the players for me, it's the structure, and if this is the best side India has to offer, then I don't want to see the worst they have to offer

I agree... India needs to reduce the no. of teams in domestic cricket and should make it more competitive for the players to get into the respective domestic teams!

cellinis said:
Yeah but that's the problem, ain't it. The guy has a fantastic physique for a fast bowler. And when he started out, he was certainly a bowler with great potiential. Could swing it both ways with decent pace. Touched 140 mark now and then. And really, that's what India needed too.. a genuine quickie. Instead he now makes a 100 and bowls slower than Ganguly!

I am eager to see VRV Singh in the line up for the first test! It seems he was regularly touching 145kmph... And he is bowling the good lines too. In my opinion, if Munaf isnt fit, then VRV should be over Sreesanth!

saisrini80 said:
if we have to make a fight out of this, we need to go in with a "winning attitude"

There u are.... :) Thats what i have been trying to say in last few posts! U have finished in one sentence " Winning attitude " excellent, atleast one is with me to think that India have chances to win if played with positive mind!

Cricket_god said:
I think India will Draw The series South Africa Is not The same force in tests as in odis because pollock is not effective in tests as much as in odis .there
batting is also struggling not every day lower order will bail you out.

I dont care about how bad South Africa are in the tests... I am confident that India have it in them to beat South Africa in the test series. For that, they need to fire collectively, thats all. Which can happen anytime. Waiting with crossed fingers!

cricket_lover said:
Only Australia are capable of beating SA in SA (and they've done so).

If Bangladesh can give fear to Aussies, then why not India try to win against SA!

As Sai said in above post, the word " collective firing " is needed and i like to add confident there.... "Collective confident firing " is what we need atm ;)

A winning idea is one thing, but it usually seems that India's winning attitude is equivalent to pretending like the opponents suck, especially when we are losing. Which means playing without any thought and falling flat on our face. What we need is application. Our batsmen have not only been failing, but they are not even spending any time out in the middle.

Cricketman93 said:

He Could Never be a wasim akram that is the pressure media and fans put on
him he just concentrated on finding speed before the windies tour and lost both his speed,swing.Wasim akram was not only lethal because he could bowl 138-145 consistently he had so much variations batsman could struggle.
All of us should understand irfan will never be a wasim akram he will improve in pace as he grows old he may reach 140 but it is of no use if he loses his swing see hoggard who bowls at 130-135 and has variations he one of the best bowlers in the world so if irfan could bowl at 130-135 and swing it he could be handful And he now bowls at 127-132 range he only needs a bit of improvement.I think he will come back .What wories me through is he is trying to hit the deck with quick arm action to find speed which his not his forte .seeing commentary on cricinfo i think he was pitching the ball up to allow it to swing even if he is driven its better than getting pulled for 6.

surendar said:
There u are.... :) Thats what i have been trying to say in last few posts! U have finished in one sentence " Winning attitude " excellent, atleast one is with me to think that India have chances to win if played with positive mind!

Agree man India can beat anybody on any given day if they click they can do the impossible.May be 3-0 :hpraise

Last edited:
Yup. Irfan is just placing the ball, not hitting the deck. Low confidence, poor form, all this. Just grip the ball like you normally did, and hit the deck. May be a bit wayward to start, but he'll find accuracy soon enough.

ZoraxDoom said:
Yup. Irfan is just placing the ball, not hitting the deck. Low confidence, poor form, all this. Just grip the ball like you normally did, and hit the deck. May be a bit wayward to start, but he'll find accuracy soon enough.

In odi series he was trying to pitch short of good length and hitting the deck where as he should pitch the ball up and allow it to swing or bowl cutters .

Yeah Zorax think you missed the point there. Last thing Pathan wants to be doing is trying to hit the deck hard, at his pace he'll just be fodder.

Not exactly short, but full. Hit the deck hard as in just run in and try and bowl as fast as he can, nice and full, with the swing. Sure it'll be wayward at first, but it's better than cutting down pace and swing...

puddleduck said:
England also beat them in South Africa the last time we were there ;)
may be, but a while back. I don't see England beating SA any soon, with their current form.

If Bangladesh can give fear to Aussies, then why not India try to win against SA!

As Sai said in above post, the word " collective firing " is needed and i like to add confident there.... "Collective confident firing " is what we need atm ;)
Its very easy to state that, on a paper. Doing it isn't tough. If you are giving more than 100%, SA will also give more than 100%. I'm not saying winning is impossible, but the chances are not high enough.

Things can change, and will change, there will be turn-arounds but you have to be realistic at this stage. Optimism of too much doses won't do us any good. Accept it, we're not upto the SA standards in terms of consistency. We would like to be, but the only time we were was in 2001-2003, when we consistently beat teams.

cricket_lover said:
Things can change, and will change, there will be turn-arounds but you have to be realistic at this stage. Optimism of too much doses won't do us any good. Accept it, we're not upto the SA standards in terms of consistency. We would like to be, but the only time we were was in 2001-2003, when we consistently beat teams.

i agree that at the moment, we are not upto the standards as our players are struggling! In my post, i was just trying to stress on the positive attitude!

Infact before Windies tour, we were shining brightly in ODIs as well as in Tests! It was that 2 runs loss where yuvraj got out of a slow ball of Bravo started to increase the loss count! :( From that point, we are facing testing time and i am still optimistic in such a way that everything gets well b4 World Cup! ;)

as said in one of the above posts, " collective confident firing " is what we need now to overcome whatever force that comes on our way :)

Users who are viewing this thread