India in South Africa

sohummisra said:
I don't think our positiveness will have anything to do with the way India performs. :) So I will go ahead and predict a 3-0 loss, at least one by an innings.

Can't show hopelessness mate!
India's got to put on the gloves and fight. Touring away from home is a Test.
Indians have stepped up to it before.

We have the once dreaded middle order consisting of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, and Ganguly. The Indian version of Dad's Army might not be at their best, but aren't exactly has-beens either.

Last edited:
It seems Pathan is going to be left out despite his sterling batting display at Potchefstroom

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/rsavind/content/current/story/272602.html

If its true, brave move from the management! We need bowlers who can strike often and bowl well for us!

Well, I think our batting order will get back to its old ways again soon. With the return of Dravid, its going to be fun. A strong batting order of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly. Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly have had good runs this tour. Tendulkar is the one slightly left behind (not considering his 55 in the last ODI). But Tendulkar has been middling it so well in the nets. So should be a cracking contest this time!

saisrini80 said:
Well, I think our batting order will get back to its old ways again soon. With the return of Dravid, its going to be fun. A strong batting order of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly. Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly have had good runs this tour. Tendulkar is the one slightly left behind (not considering his 55 in the last ODI). But Tendulkar has been middling it so well in the nets. So should be a cracking contest this time!

Lets hope so. Dravid coming back will definatly help and hopefully the other batmen will be able to find some form. Im not sure what ganguly has done to earn a recall but he scored 80 odd in the warm up. Altho India won convincing in that game, the fact the batting didnt really fire till Ganguly and Pathan is worrying. On the issue of Pathan, he is out of form with the ball, and till he sorts his problems out I dont think he shud play. Yes, he certainly has batting ability, but we are playing 7 batsman already and to win a test match u need to take wickets as well. The South Africa pace attack look quite indimidating atm, with Dale Steyn coming in. Hopefully, sehwag and jaffer will be able to see off the new ball and give us a good start.

Ive noticed Ive typed quite a hopefullys which shows Im not expecting much . Ill be very happy with a drawn series.

Cricket_god said:
In odis it was the pace and bounce that did us yes pace may be nothing with out accuracy on flat pitches but allan donald who knows a bit more about the rest of south african bowlers than you :D said that morne morkel was the greatest fast bowling prospect in south africa and he is surely to take the new ball in following seasons.Pathan is a great prospect with bat and bowl.
It wasn't only pace and bounce that did us in. There were countless dismissals that were just edges to the keeper and the slips. Pathan may be a great prospect with the bat, and I used to support him a lot, but now I just think he's useless with the ball and he doesn't want to/cannot improve.

Hooper said:
Sorry Buddy...I know your trying to protect your national team and it's players
go take your prejudice elsewhere.

I don't believe in "protecting" anyone here, nor am I a "fan" of anything.

Hmm, Pathan dropped. Expected, cricinfo has predicted the line-up lot of people here are expecting. The key is to win the toss and bat, considering this is not one of those bouncy tracks that'll stay for all 5 days, spin will be important, and you dont want to bat last.

Both Sehwag and Sachin will be expected to bowl few overs, along with Ganguly. It'll be an interesting contest

It wasn't prejudice at all Cricket_Lover. He was was making his point, and for some reason you ask him what's wrong with him? If you can't respond or accept that he has a different point of view, then fair enough.

saisrini80 said:
It seems Pathan is going to be left out despite his sterling batting display at Potchefstroom

Should have thought about having a left hander at the top of the order. Right left combination could have provided some hindrance to the rythm of the SA pace attack. The only left hander is Ganguly. Should have considered Gambhir.

I was referring to the line "I know your trying to protect your national team and it's players" puddleduck.

I've got no problems with his negative comments on anything, but only if it were constructive. Just saying Ganguly is out of form, and playing against second XI team...doesn't mean anything...just goes to tell you the cricketing knowledge one has.

Let him fail against SA, and then yea! he failed, is out-of-form.

sohummisra said:
It wasn't only pace and bounce that did us in. There were countless dismissals that were just edges to the keeper and the slips. Pathan may be a great prospect with the bat, and I used to support him a lot, but now I just think he's useless with the ball and he doesn't want to/cannot improve.

Why did they edge it due to pace and bounce :D no body loses skills overnight .form is temporary class is permanent.

Pathan doesn't have a proven class. He's relatively new, has not performed consistently at all. He does well one season, and is poor in another. Thats not class.

Skill, i agree. He might have it, but its of no use when it can't be reproduced where it matters. Thats class.

He'll get the opportunity, in this test series, and lets hope he comes good.

Cricket_god said:
Why did they edge it due to pace and bounce :D no body loses skills overnight .form is temporary class is permanent.
Edges from pace and bounce? Edges come from constantly attacking the same areas, and getting just enough movement to get the bat, but not missing it. And what are you trying to prove by stuffing that cliched phrase into your post? Pathan has no class and there is no arguing that none of our batsmen were able to cope with the accuracy that was on display, form or class aside.

cricket_lover said:
Pathan doesn't have a proven class. He's relatively new, has not performed consistently at all. He does well one season, and is poor in another. Thats not class.

Skill, i agree. He might have it, but its of no use when it can't be reproduced where it matters. Thats class.

He'll get the opportunity, in this test series, and lets hope he comes good.
Skill... Players in Bangladesh and Zimbabwe have skill. What we demand is consistency and like you said, Pathan just hasn't gotten that. I think we hyped him too early and destroyed the possibilities of his talent.

India win toss and bat first!

Good! If India can put up a decent total, the bowlers who are in form can pressurize the opposition. Expecting a big one from Sehwag today. and also from Sachin! Remember, they both started off the tour in 2001-02 with centuries in the same innings at Bloemfontein.

Also our batting order is heavy at the middle. All top rated guys teaming up to tackle SA. Dont think its going to be that easy for the South Africans!

If the openers play it safe, the first day will be in our kit. Thats what we need to do, press home the advantage, from the word go.

Users who are viewing this thread