India in South Africa

cricket_lover said:
Most of the critics favoured the SA's heavily, for a 3-0.

Its nice that the team proved them wrong. It'll hurt SA, and they'll come back much stronger. India might make way for Gambhir, replacing Jaffer, and either Pathan or MP will eye for the third seamer spot.

I think the third seamer would depend on the Durban wicket.

Something makes me say that, Pathan might be a better option. If its a seaming wicket, then Pathan can get lot of movement as he is deadly on such helpful wickets (Pakistan, Karachi 2006???). And if he plays, the Indian batting would be more strengthened to 8 batsmen (6+dhoni+pathan) which would be stronger for south africa to bowl at on a seaming wicket.

also i am sure pathan would feed off a lot of confidence from his other mates who have just scripted a famous victory. when the team is buzzing with confidence, its more easier to feed off that confidence. pathan is a good talent, he has not used it properly.

I must admit to being impressed with Gangulys attitude currently. In interview he was praising Rahul and making it plainly obvious that Dravid is the captain, and that he himself is just there to score runs and help the team in anyway he can.

Also I know a lot of you aren't too keen on Chappell due to recent results, but try and give the man some credit. He has helped to sieve through a lot of the young talent around, giving experience to a fair few players that may or may not be the future of Indian cricket. He has brought on plenty of different quick bowlers, and he has at the helm seen India win a test series in the Windies and now a test match in South Africa. On top of all that India also set the record chasing in ODIs, so some of you that have been moaning about your coach, may just want to take a step back and look at the good things he has done, and this all despite the pressures of the Indian media and fans constantly telling him to do things their way.

I agree. It isn't Chappels fault. If anything, he has made things better. We only lost the ODIs due to poor playing, not poor coaching!
Dada could be a good third seamer.
I repeat, anyone see that bouncer to Kallis first ball and his reaction?

ZoraxDoom said:
I agree. It isn't Chappels fault. If anything, he has made things better. We only lost the ODIs due to poor playing, not poor coaching!
Dada could be a good third seamer.
I repeat, anyone see that bouncer to Kallis first ball and his reaction?

OH yeah yeah. I saw that ball.. It was a deadly delivery first up and Dada was extremely surprised himself at the ball doing that much off the wicket.

I am confident that Dada can be a good fifth bowler, a more dependable fifth bowler than Sehwag or Sachin! He has bowling a lot in domestic cricket and with surprising success too! If he gets back to the ODI side (which he will if he continues this type of performance), India would be tremendously boosted. And I dont think Chappell has anymore problem with him. Things regarding him and Chappell have not been appearing much in the media ever since Ganguly arrived in South Africa. So I think all is well between them. I think Chappell might not be holding any grudges and that he would only be too happy to see good performances from the players!

But still Chappell deserved most part of the criticism that he got. He took his experiments too far. Experiments were good, but some were too much. Anyways, its time now for Indian fans to rejoice. We badly wanted to see this!

Raise a toast to the selection team. For once, they have picked the right men!

puddleduck said:
I must admit to being impressed with Gangulys attitude currently. In interview he was praising Rahul and making it plainly obvious that Dravid is the captain, and that he himself is just there to score runs and help the team in anyway he can.

Yes, it was particularly pleasing the way Ganguly was praising Rahul Dravid for the fields that he set! He thanked his team mates and everyone for supporting him. That was sweet. And one more change that I saw in Ganguly was, he looked to be slowly getting back well into the team unit. During the Pakistan series, I somehow felt Ganguly was looking like an odd man out when the team got into their customary huddle. He looked like a lost man then. Now looks like the players have welcomed him back into the team and he looks a part of the team.

And the famous huddle was truly back! Oh, what a sight it is for every Indian fan to see the players in that huddle. Ganguly started it off! Awesome stuff! A truly remarkable day for an Indian fan!

Congrats to India thats quite a win not many would have predicted that given the way India went in the ODIs. Ganguly has shown hes still got it.

Yes, India are becoming the new West Indies (of 2001-now), you want them to do well simply because they are so bad at times and seem to have an aura about them of respectability and slight humour. Take Sreesanth for example, when he was "sledging" Nel whilst batting (and waving his bat like a fool), everyone knows he is a fool; but for some strange reason people want him to succeed because of that.

manee said:
Yes, India are becoming the new West Indies (of 2001-now), you want them to do well simply because they are so bad at times and seem to have an aura about them of respectability and slight humour. Take Sreesanth for example, when he was "sledging" Nel whilst batting (and waving his bat like a fool), everyone knows he is a fool; but for some strange reason people want him to succeed because of that.

Oh come on! India havent been performing half as bad the West Indies had been performing until their recent resurgence happened. India have always been challenging the top international sides, but just didnt force and go to the top!

manee said:

What you mean by sreesanth is a fool it was response to nels antics.in past indian fast bowlers did not have the guts to bounce the batsman or sledge them its great to see how teams respond to bit of thier own medicine :D :D
i think you are a fool due to your understanding of situation

Wewt!!!1shiftone!!!
Wonderful alround effort from the Indian team to secure a BIG victory to restart there goal of the World Cup!
Victory is ours! Laxman batted well, sreesanth again bowling top notch. Kumble bowling Prince was a beaut, superb ball.

Hopefully, we won't let them back into this, another win would be nice.

Cricket_god said:
What you mean by sreesanth is a fool it was response to nels antics.in past indian fast bowlers did not have the guts to bounce the batsman or sledge them its great to see how teams respond to bit of thier own medicine :D :D
i think you are a fool due to your understanding of situation
Aggression? Remember our over-aggression in the World Cup final. When Zaheer gave Hayden and Gilly a piece of his mind and proceeded to get smashed all over the park? Aggression is good but Sreesanth has to hold his place in the team due to performances. He's done it so far on this tour, but let's see how he does in the long run.

sohummisra said:
Aggression? Remember our over-aggression in the World Cup final. When Zaheer gave Hayden and Gilly a piece of his mind and proceeded to get smashed all over the park? Aggression is good but Sreesanth has to hold his place in the team due to performances. He's done it so far on this tour, but let's see how he does in the long run.

yes he lost it it was a good batting track now i think what if tendulkar had not played that pull shot we should have chased it.also any bolwer who bowls outswingers at pace is an asset to any team .

I agree, if Pathan can hit the straps in the nets, India might even open the batting with him, according to Ravi Shashtri.
Like Shashtri said, Pathan can't do any worse than Jaffer and Sehwag, opening the innings.
It looks like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck could as well open the batting for India. Can't remember the last time both openers survived the new ball.

I am concerned that South Africa will prepare a wicket with even bounce and pace, but less lateral movement. The kind of pitch where they can score a lot of runs and where the Indian batsmen will have problems with the bounce.

If you saw this test, the Indian batsmen werent intimidated of the short pitched delivery. They were falling to the pitched up deliveries. Our batsmen know when to leave. They are no well acclimatised to the conditions. Only movement now can undo them! I think SA wont prepare a green wicket. But the place being Durban, I think we will have movement in the later part of the day since the ground is close to the sea or something (we heard abt this before the ODI match at Durban that in the evenings, the air naturally aids movement).

So it will be a cracking game in our hands! We hope India tighten things up more and complete the series at Durban itself. If South Africa win at Durban, I wont have much hopes on India at Cape Town!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see why any of the seamers need to replaced. They all bowled very well.
I dont know how Pathan is bowling right now obviously, and if he has sorted out his problems he would definitely strengthen the batting. However, to win a test match u need to take 20 wickets, and we shudnt go in playing for the draw by weakening the bowling to strengthen the batting. If the axe needs to fall anywhere, it shud be at the top of order. Does pathan really have the technique to see off the new ball? Does sehwag or jaffer for that matter.

s2sschan said:
I agree, if Pathan can hit the straps in the nets, India might even open the batting with him, according to Ravi Shashtri.
Like Shashtri said, Pathan can't do any worse than Jaffer and Sehwag, opening the innings.
It looks like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck could as well open the batting for India. Can't remember the last time both openers survived the new ball.

I am concerned that South Africa will prepare a wicket with even bounce and pace, but less lateral movement. The kind of pitch where they can score a lot of runs and where the Indian batsmen will have problems with the bounce.

I am sure after media reports Pathan will open if he gets a good score in two day match before the second test
Team for second test

1-Shewag
2-Pathan{2nd opening bowler} because he can be useful if he swings it and then the ball seams after pitching remember pakistan.
3-dravid
4-tendulkar
5-laxman
6-ganguly
7-dhoni
8-kumble
9-zaheer{3}is a seam bowler so if he comes 1 down its not that much difference
10-sreesanth{1st}swing it
11-munaf{4rd}line and length and bounce coming after injury so fourth

Also its hard to prepare a uneven pitch in south africa they will shave most of grass and want only bouncy wicket but this will help our stroke players and kumble in fourth day

slade said:
I cant see why any of the seamers need to replaced. They all bowled very well.
I dont know how Pathan is bowling right now obviously, and if he has sorted out his problems he would definitely strengthen the batting. However, to win a test match u need to take 20 wickets, and we shudnt go in playing for the draw by weakening the bowling to strengthen the batting. If the axe needs to fall anywhere, it shud be at the top of order. Does pathan really have the technique to see off the new ball? Does sehwag or jaffer for that matter.

A left right combination is good in tests it also makes bowlers to change their line and length also pathan has a good technique he has opened against england and pakistan allthough they were in india he stays onthe legside so does not fall over like most lefthanders so chance of lbw is minimum.he is agood bet also he is in terrific form with bat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread