India in South Africa

Wow.. That was a good crucial wicket. Had they gone in with just one wicket down, it would have been tougher for India! But with all the aggression shown by India in the last 30 mins, they deserved this wicket.

They know that a draw is 99.99% impossible here. Only way they have to avoid losing the series is by winning it! And the aggression showed a lot in the way India approached the last few minutes. Now a wicket to end the day leaves the test so tantalisingly poised.

Its not going to be easy at all to bat tomorrow for South Africa. The new ball is already 16.2 overs old and Kumble is doing quite some bit with it already. With Sachin and Sehwag pressed into service tomorrow, it will be all the more tougher. India have certainly missed Harbhajan Singh here. Instead of the "old man" Munaf, Harbhajan would have been a lot more better in helping us win the series!

But all said and done, its going to be a cracking final day! Cant guess who will win the series, although SA still look in better shape!

Cricket_god said:
Today was a great day of test cricket but was a shocker in terms of umpiring i think umpires are compensating for previous decisons which is a dangerous thing.To sum of my assement of the test india did well to reach 210 after watching so many years of test cricket i think i favour india to win because if you all saw when the ball gets old its very hard to score and if india get gibbs and smith out they will win it.

You missed two important guys - Kallis and Prince. They are much harder to get out than Smith or Gibbs. You always know you are in with a chance with Smith and Gibbs, but you know that Kallis and Prince are much harder to get!

Well, Munaf was terrible in the field. Really poor. Didn't bowl that well either.
Viru needs to take a few wickets alongside Jumbo. And we needed Bhajji it seems. Better fielder, better batsmen, and seeing this match, a much better fielder than Munaf.

Don't build your hopes up guys... it's going to be hard to win from this point. Too few runs to play with.

My question to the Indian team management and pretty much everybody else is this: why the hell was Munaf Patel picked if he was still unfit? That's deceiving everybody... straightaway, India are 1 player short.

harishankar said:
Saisrini, I hate to say I told you so, but this Indian team hasn't played with 11 players pulling the weight. So many players look like they're 100 year olds on the field, it's ridiculous.

Munaf Patel is a pathetic excuse for a fielder and if he was still injured, why the hell was he picked for this match?

Unfortunately after this woeful batting effort, only a miracle can save India. How can the bowlers be expected to save India after such a woeful effort with the bat (barring Dinesh Karthik?)

Not necessarily... Everyone is optimistic that Kumble and the spinners can do it tomorrow for India. Thats why people are refraining from saying that SA are the favorites to win! Anything can happen. Remember, its a 5th day pitch, and Kumble is bowling really well.

harishankar said:
Don't build your hopes up guys... it's going to be hard to win from this point. Too few runs to play with.

I dont worry if I am disappointed with an Indian defeat! As an Indian fan, its never wrong to hope! Its sweeter when the team you put your hope on, vindicates your hope!

Its good that we have a totally negative person here posting. It sort of balances the discussions!

harishankar said:
My question to the Indian team management and pretty much everybody else is this: why the hell was Munaf Patel picked if he was still unfit? That's deceiving everybody... straightaway, India are 1 player short.

Before the start of this match, nobody expected this wicket from South Africa. Jaffer went to the extent of calling it a "New Year gift". Smith and Kallis say they have never ever seen such a wicket in South Africa.

What do you do then? You are deceived by the wicket!

Not necessarily... Everyone is optimistic that Kumble and the spinners can do it tomorrow for India. Thats why people are refraining from saying that SA are the favorites to win! Anything can happen. Remember, its a 5th day pitch, and Kumble is bowling really well.

Kumble alone cannot do it. We needed a second spinner and unfortunately we don't have one. Also the bowlers haven't really done anything wrong, but the batting has gone horribly wrong.

Pathetic that in two crunch situations in Durban and here at Cape Town, the so-called "greats" Sehwag, Dravid and Tendulkar buckle under pressure. Time for the old goats to retire and make way for the young. They cannot run between wickets, their footwork against spin is really exposed as they no longer seem to have the energy to use their feet and Tendulkar was really exposed -- his age is now catching up on him. Buttock strain -- hahaha... what else will go wrong with him?

harishankar said:

If you watched some test cricket you will no its nearly immpossible to chase targets above 200 on 4th innings on such pitches except you are australia.

Munaf is always a poor fielder give him some space he did not mis field anything today he is coming through a ankle injury its better if he gives 3-4 runs on the field but with un even bounce and his height he is the bowler fortommorow.

Last edited:
harishankar said:
Kumble alone cannot do it. We needed a second spinner and unfortunately we don't have one. Also the bowlers haven't really done anything wrong, but the batting has gone horribly wrong.

Pathetic that in two crunch situations in Durban and here at Cape Town, the so-called "greats" Sehwag, Dravid and Tendulkar buckle under pressure. Time for the old goats to retire and make way for the young.

Just see.. After tomorrow, you could actually be feeling that our batting did better enough!

211 - Dravid's 47 = 164 runs to win

End of Day 4 - 164 - 55 = 109 runs to win!

Cricket_god said:
If you watched some test cricket you will no its nearly immpossible to chase targets above 200 on 4th innings on such pitches except you are australia.

I've watched a lot of test cricket myself... One single good partnership and the match is over.

Dravid really needed a second spinner to dry up the runs from both ends.

I certainly hope India win... I just wish they had used their opportunity in the 1st innings to seal this match. Now we can say "why didn't Sehwag carry on in the 1st innings when he was 40 not out". That was such a crucial stage of the match...

harishankar said:
Tendulkar was really exposed -- his age is now catching up on him. Buttock strain -- hahaha... what else will go wrong with him?

As if, playing non-stop and continuous cricket is so easy, that one expects the cricketers to be as fit as you or we!

harishankar said:
I've watched a lot of test cricket myself... One single good partnership and the match is over.

One good patnership neverhelps as the run rate is too slow and wickets fall in a bunch mate on fifth day

harishankar said:

2-3 quick wickets, and the bowling team gets right on top!

Its just 16.2 overs now. Only slowly can you induct your spinners in. You need a much older ball for the part time spinners to be brought in. Kumble being a master, can bowl with a relatively new ball and still do well. Not the case with Sachin or Sehwag!

As if, playing non-stop and continuous cricket is so easy, that one expects the cricketers to be as fit as you or we!

But take a look at the South African team. How come Shaun Pollock still manages to field so brilliantly? He was involved in a great run out today -- his throwing arm was fantastic.

Actually, it is. Especially on a batting beaut lke this. It's only spinning on one end, mind. So from the other end, we need a really good bowler. SS is tired, Zaheer will try his hardest, Munaf has been poor so far, and Viru needs the rough. Jumbo/Bhajji would have worked. We just need to hope Viru rips it.
And yea, Viru shouldn't be booted completely, just dropped until he finds his footwork and his common sense which made him such a star early on. He just seems lazy now. Look at Dada, perfect comeback.
But all of them should take a leaf out of Dhoni, DDK and SS's performances. Energetic, aggressive, and most importantly, humble and a good use of common sense.
Good point on Pollock. Energetic, fit, and has been patient and has used good common sense.

harishankar said:
But take a look at the South African team. How come Shaun Pollock still manages to field so brilliantly? He was involved in a great run out today -- his throwing arm was fantastic.

it was a not that great throw boucher had to get it far of the stumps its just that vvs is a poor runner.Also indians showed too much respect to pollock
u think the was he was treated in srilanka shows his lack of pace can be exposed by coming down the track

ZoraxDoom said:

Actually, it is. Especially on a batting beaut lke this. It's only spinning on one end, mind. So from the other end, we need a really good bowler. SS is tired, Zaheer will try his hardest, Munaf has been poor so far, and Viru needs the rough. Jumbo/Bhajji would have worked. We just need to hope Viru rips it.
And yea, Viru shouldn't be booted completely, just dropped until he finds his footwork and his common sense which made him such a star early on. He just seems lazy now. Look at Dada, perfect comeback.
But all of them should take a leaf out of Dhoni, DDK and SS's performances. Energetic, aggressive, and most importantly, humble and a good use of common sense.
Good point on Pollock. Energetic, fit, and has been patient and has used good common sense.

its far off from a batting beauty the old ball is immpossible to score off so south arica have no chance

Last edited:
Cricket_god said:
it was a not that great throw boucher had to get it far of the stumps its just that vvs is a poor runner
As are Ganguly and Dravid. They've played over a decade, where is the common sense?
Run in straight lines
Non striker runs down one side, striker down the other
Behind the stumps, non striker calls.
Front of the stumps, striker calls.
Take a start as the bowler runs in and always look for the extra run.
Slid your bat.
Have trust in your partner.
I bet my 6 year old cousin would be a better runner!

Cricket_god said:
its far off from a batting beauty the old ball is immpossible to score off so south arica have no chance
Are you watching the same game? It looked easy when DDk and Dada were batting. it's only tricky from one end where the rough is. The other has no demons, it's easy.

Users who are viewing this thread