India in the West Indies

saisrini80 said:
You're wrong. Yuvraj was OUT off the 4th ball of the last over off the bowling of Dwayne Bravo! So that match was played to the 99.4th over, not 99.5!

Oh sorry, my mistake! But still, matches that go into the final few matches are always thrilling! I hope that happens again tomorrow!

puddleduck said:
The reason they have taken VRV is to give him some experience. With Munaf, Sreesanth and Pathan and then Kumble and Bhaji the attack pretty much picks itself. So to take Agarkar as backup would be fairly pointless. I think it makes sense to take a young bowler who they can have a good look at in the nets and hopefully improve whilst he is there. If anyone of them get injured, or fail in this series, Agarkar will always be able to slot in as he is hardly inexperienced. For this reason he wouldn't really benefit from spending time as 12th man.

Well, Agarkar is not too old either! Just 27, VRV is around 22! If VRV has been taken to give him experience, then its unfair for Agarkar! It is true that Agarkar is more of an ODI bowler, but after such good performances, he more than deserves a place in the Test squad! And this is a foreign nation, some experience is needed here, which Agarkar can definitely provide!

And regarding Powar, I too dont like him in the Test squad! Chawla would have been much better!

The point I am making is that Agarkar has had a chance at test cricket, and didn't take it. It is unfair to drop Munaf, Sreesanth and Pathan since they all bowled well the last time they played test cricket. Since Agarkar is a reasonably experienced member of the squad there is little point in having him as 12th man. May as well let him rest as if he stays in form he will have a busy schedule of Odi cricket coming up culminating in the World Cup.

So they have taken VRV to have another look at him, see if he is improving as they obviously think he has potential. Another useful reason for having him is that he will provide decent pace in the nets for the Indian batsman to face. Helpful in being able to deal with the Windies quicks.

So what I am saying is it is not a particularly surprising decision, and Agarkar has not been particularly hard done by. I have said once before, that Indian cricket fans have reasonably short memories, and again this seems to be the case. Before this series Agarkar was considered by a few to be on a downward spiral, yet after 3 good performances in Odi cricket, people are now saying he has been hard done by not to be picked for the test squad? As I said, he had his chances and didn't do well, if he continues to perform well in Odi cricket and the current incumbents suffer a dip in form, he can always slot back in, but as it is let him continue trying to improve his reliability. Afterall perhaps his refound pace is down to not being forced to play too much cricket?

I am seeing a bit of double standards here. If Powar based on some good Odi performances doesn't deserve a test slot, then why does Agarkar? Powar is again only going as backup, and Chawla when thrown in against England looked drastically out of his depth. Pietersen took him on, and I think it is fair to accept that someone like Lara could well do the same.

Powar being a spinner, provides a direct replacement for Bhaji should he get injured, whilst Chawla in my opinion could do with another year or two learning his game. Agarkar being a quick bowler, could probably do with not being overburdened or else risks losing the pace he seems to have refound.

Last edited:
saisrini80 said:
You're wrong. Yuvraj was OUT off the 4th ball of the last over off the bowling of Dwayne Bravo! So that match was played to the 99.4th over, not 99.5!
For that matter, the first game did not go to the 100th over either, seeing as it was 45 overs a side.

Agarkar has always been a nippy bowler, so I wouldn't say this is necessarily newfound pace for him. The only reason I would pick him now is because he is in form and is causing the batsmen considerable trouble with a moving ball.

When Munaf picked up 10 wickets against the touring English, he was not given a berth in the first test match. He was selected for the forthcoming test matches, though. The Indians could be missing a beat by not picking him.

Agarkar has, though, always been troublesome for the selectors because his form seems to be going in sine waves with a huge amplitude.

sohummisra said:
Agarkar has always been a nippy bowler, so I wouldn't say this is necessarily newfound pace for him.

I believe I used the word "refound" (not that it actually means what I am using it to say) instead of newfound. Like many of the Indian quicks in recent years, he had pace, but it seemed to diminish with every season.

Agarkar has, though, always been troublesome for the selectors because his form seems to be going in sine waves with a huge amplitude.

Very true. Hence he needs to perform for more than just 3 Odi to earn back his test spot. A fair few Indian fans seem to want to adopt the same approach to selection that England used during the early to mid 90's.... and we all know how well that went :crying

I remember without much pleasure an incident in a test match where Agarkar just forgot how to bowl, completely. He was having trouble getting any sort of pace, and only bowled about 10 overs in that innings/match. I believe it was against Australia or England.

Comming to agarkar, I would rather be easy on him.Considering the fact that he could be never be sure of whether he would play the next match or not, I doubt he can perform

However, Dravid trusted him, and allowed him to play.Initially agarkar faltered, however now he is starting to become consistent.With dravid's support, he can now feel secure.

Last edited:
Will Yuvraj come back for the crucial game 4 of this highly thrilling ODI series? I hope he does, coz he is a very important match winner for India! however, there are some reports that india might risk playing yuvraj. i dont want him to be risked in the long run!

if yuvraj is not available, uthappa must replace rao in the batting order and must open with sehwag to allow dravid at one down and raina at two down!

saisrini80 said:
Will Yuvraj come back for the crucial game 4 of this highly thrilling ODI series? I hope he does, coz he is a very important match winner for India! however, there are some reports that india might risk playing yuvraj. i dont want him to be risked in the long run!

if yuvraj is not available, uthappa must replace rao in the batting order and must open with sehwag to allow dravid at one down and raina at two down!
I completely agree with u.Dravid is the only batsman along with Yuvraj who can win next two matches for India.

The cracker called Mahendra Singh Dhoni is yet to explode and it's a bomb that has no timer. Watch out for it.

cricket4life said:
The cracker called Mahendra Singh Dhoni is yet to explode and it's a bomb that has no timer. Watch out for it.

I hope Dhoni goes up the order a bit, and Pathan gets lowered; to me it makes a bit more sense.

Pathan came at his regulation place last time around and was probably the most frustrating dismissal of the innings (if you discount Dhoni's lazy running that cost him his wicket). Dhoni desperately needs runs under his belt, and with Kaarthick being drafted into the Test squad, he should understand that his place is definitely not locked down.

Indeed. In the ODI squad, you can take things for granted. You have to perform all the time, even more when the team requires you to fire.

If Yuvi doesn't play, draft in Uthappa in. Send Kaif one down, and Raina two or three down. You will need dynamites down the order, and need wall's up the order.

cricket_lover said:
Indeed. In the ODI squad, you can take things for granted. You have to perform all the time, even more when the team requires you to fire.

If Yuvi doesn't play, draft in Uthappa in. Send Kaif one down, and Raina two or three down. You will need dynamites down the order, and need wall's up the order.

its good point....but this strategy will not work all the time!!! It depends on conditions!!!! Rember Dhoni's 183 and 147 knock...both came in number3 position!!!! Also his various winning knocks have come in low order also!!!!

So preserving dynamites does not always work!!!!!

Acccording to me.... one end the wall should be stable and other end the dynamite should show its effect!!!! eg : Dravid and Sehwag!!!

If u loose one stable batsman, send the other who can play stable.....
if u loose one aggressive batsman,send the other who shd be able to continue the aggressiveness!!!! Then a perfect balance will exist!!!! ;)

:happy :happy :happy

surendar said:
If u loose one stable batsman, send the other who can play stable.....
if u loose one aggressive batsman,send the other who shd be able to continue the aggressiveness!!!! Then a perfect balance will exist!!!! ;)

:happy :happy :happy

Yes, and when there are lots of wickets in hand, send 2 aggressive people in & in collapsed situations, send two stable ones in.

Yuvraj should play, if he is fit, otherwise Uthappa should play, or Rao again if he has learnt scoring quickly!

I hope we win in the last over!

Users who are viewing this thread