India in the West Indies

Evenly matched game now. A very good knock from the young Jaffer. If West Indies want to have a chance of winning. They'll need the scalp of centurion Jaffer and The Wall.

Question to India fans: Why isn't Jaffer in the One Day team?

Jaffer scores too slowly. I mean, we already have Dravid and Kaif, who needs one more?

Kaif can score very quickly can't he?

Can't moan if someone scores a hundred ZZ :D

Sureshot said:
Kaif can score very quickly can't he?

Can't moan if someone scores a hundred ZZ :D
Kaif can't score too quick. he is more at home taking his time.

And Jaffer will never score an ODI hundred. The match is too short. By the time the innings is over, he will still be on 35 :D

cricket_lover said:
If you're that good, go play. Or just keep quiet.
Agree with most of what you say, but this is not an argument that I really find logical. These are, after all, international professional cricketers. They are supposed to represent the best players in our country, and they are representing the country when they go out there and play for India. While we didn't elect them, we should not let them off the hook because we cannot play that well.

@Jaffer--his game is far more laid-back and is suitable for test cricket. He waits for the bad balls to arrive and otherwise is pretty tight, unless he is settled in. Indeed, we don't need any more sheet anchors in our ODI team.

sohummisra said:
Agree with most of what you say, but this is not an argument that I really find logical. These are, after all, international professional cricketers. They are supposed to represent the best players in our country, and they are representing the country when they go out there and play for India. While we didn't elect them, we should not let them off the hook because we cannot play that well.
true, they are representing us, and we have a right to be repersented correctly!

sohummisra said:
@Jaffer--his game is far more laid-back and is suitable for test cricket. He waits for the bad balls to arrive and otherwise is pretty tight, unless he is settled in. Indeed, we don't need any more sheet anchors in our ODI team.

Dhoni has cemented his place in ODI's because, in ODI's, strokemakers are needed, who make quick runs.While in test, a 'classic' batsmen is needed, who can defend with technique.It's the reason why Kartik is in test squad.

India are definitely on top now. A lead of 180 so far with 2 wickets left and almost 1 and 3/4 of a day left. If they can get a lead of 300+ by the middle of the last session, they should declare.

Adarsh said:
India are definitely on top now. A lead of 180 so far with 2 wickets left and almost 1 and 3/4 of a day left. If they can get a lead of 300+ by the middle of the last session, they should declare.
Don't forget that WI chased 400+ on this very ground against Australia not too long ago, and we all know how penetrating India's bowling attack is :rolleyes:

hondeyho said:
Well done Wasim anyway, an important innings and the 100 comes up. Well I predict that Jaffer could go on even further now.

I predicted right :D

Is it just me or does Rahul Dravid's innings seem to be tedious? Well Jaffer is on 172, will he make it to 200? Yes, my crazy prediction was that he'd get 401 and then be bowled by Darren Ganga - still could happen :p

ZoraxDoom said:
Jaffer scores too slowly. I mean, we already have Dravid and Kaif, who needs one more?
Cannot understand this moaning about Jaffer when he almost single handedly brought India from a loosing position to a possible winning position and may very well score a double hundred. Now if if one has to increase the run rate there are hitter like Yuvraj and Dhoni. Jaffer is very much responsible in improving the morale of the Indian side after the recent disaster in the ODIs. He is a opener and not expected to play ODI cricket in Tests. He is developing to be the kind of opener that can make big scores, that India is looking for a long time.

I wonder if people often put silly stuff in these discussions in order to get as many responses as possible.

ZoraxDoom said:
And Jaffer will never score an ODI hundred. The match is too short. By the time the innings is over, he will still be on 35 :D

I do not believe anyone is talking about Jaffer playing in ODIs

Manohar said:
I do not believe anyone is talking about Jaffer playing in ODIs
Look:
gary0808 said:
Question to India fans: Why isn't Jaffer in the One Day team?
Next time, please read before posting. My post was a direct reply to that question...

There goes Dravid, easy catch and made himself look like a fool playing that shot.

hondeyho said:
There goes Dravid, easy catch and made himself look like a fool playing that shot.

Well done Wasim for getting your 200, my prediction for 401 is still on here :p

ZoraxDoom said:
Kaif can't score too quick. he is more at home taking his time.

Kaif's strike-rate is 73 runs/100 balls..in ODI cricket. It is not bad for a player who comes at no.6 when he's supposed to come at no.3. Its better than Dravid, though Dravid has improved in the last few years.

I'm sure Kaif will be something like Dravid in years to come, if he's given the opportunity to come up the order.

Don't write anything off yet. India lead by 240, and they should be aiming for about 400. Scoring 400 on one day will be a difficult task, even if you have Lara's and Gayles.

ZoraxDoom said:
Look:

Next time, please read before posting. My post was a direct reply to that question...

I am glancing through the postings and sorry that I missed this one about Jaffar to be considered for ODIs. I was thinking about the Indian team management when I mentioned not talking about Jaffar possibly playing in the ODIs.

BRAVO! BRAVO! Fantastic DOUBLE HUNDRED by India's newfound stable opener Wasim Jaffer!

Even though the innings was filled with technical flaws, still he had the determination to carry on and has placed India in a position from which they can think of winning this match.

Still all three results possible! Dhoni now needs to cane the Windies bowlers and get to a lead of 350-375. 20 more overs remaining. If India can get 60 to 70 runs in the next 12 to 13 overs, they can put Windies to bat for 30 mins in the end of the day and that is quite enough to take advantage of tired legs.

Dravid should not worry abt what windies chased some years ago! A target of 370 is more than enough! He has to be positive and look to win this test match which would be one of the most satisfying victories in recent times after trailing by 130 runs in the first innings. He has to be positive and declare today itself. He should not drag it on till tomorrow. Kumble can weave his magic today itself. India should declare and open the bowling with Kumble and Munaf!

Edit: Kaif is attacking big here! 3 fours in an over! Partnership going at over 7 runs an over! Exciting stuff going on! Come on India, you can win this!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread