India in the West Indies

cricket_lover said:
its a series win after 35 years. A series win, no matter who the team is , is a wonderful achievement.

:happy A Great Achievement :happy

Well done India :clap In first innings, Bhaji took the control and in second innings, Kumble took the control... What a great spin twins we have!!! :hpraise

Congrats to indian team and fans..they deserved to win this series, if it wasnt for rain and some dodgy umpring, they would have won this 2-0 if not 3-0 in my opinion..

and I dont know how Harbhajan can take 5 wkts in first innings and then get nothing in 2nd ?

To all my Indian mates out there on this forum, I congrat you guys and your team on a fantastic win. Its truly a remarkable historic feat, and through the test series your team played the better cricket. Kudos all the way guys, and thanks to your team for deligthing me on my home ground in beasejour with a flamboyant batting performance, will never forget the Monk's 180 nor Dravid's captain's knock too! It was a pleasure to see the Indian team in person, and on the field they were even more delightful. Way to go...

s2sschan said:
After 35 Years Yes, it does feel great to win in the Windies and even greater to win outside the Sub-Continent after 20 years.

Technically, this is not the first win outside the subcontinent after 20 years. India won under the captaincy of Ganguly in Zimbabwe in 2005.

But yeah, beating Zimbabwe wasnt considered a victory at all...

India came close several times under ganguly, 1-1 daw in England, 1-1 in Australia, the close series loss against WI.

But nice to see a in-experienced Indian team doing the job.

rocklara said:
To all my Indian mates out there on this forum, I congrat you guys and your team on a fantastic win. Its truly a remarkable historic feat, and through the test series your team played the better cricket. Kudos all the way guys, and thanks to your team for deligthing me on my home ground in beasejour with a flamboyant batting performance, will never forget the Monk's 180 nor Dravid's captain's knock too! It was a pleasure to see the Indian team in person, and on the field they were even more delightful. Way to go...

Thank you! The WI team have played superbly and were able to bring the series alive till the final test when they should have lost the series 4-0. India almost won both the first two tests, and came within good distance of winning the third one too... But they had to win it in the final test says a lot abt the WI team's resilience. With the exception of Lara (who got his reputation down with his behavior), the team have been exceptional!

cricket_lover said:

Only few are inexperienced now like munaf,Sreesanth,Dhoni!!! But all those are lead in front by the experienced players like Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Bhaji and Kumble( The most experienced )....Sachin is missing though!!!

Also winning a series without the master is the greatest achievement so for!!

According to me, " Talented young team doing great under the new captain " ;)

EDIT : Also Dravid played his major role, " THE WALL " :clap

rocklara said:

So nice of ur kindness mate.... :clap

Yeah, Indians had a great tour... Also a nicely balanced tour for the cricket fans.. i.e ODI series won by WI and Test won by India!!!

:happy

Last edited:
This was a great tour. The cricket was exciting and breathtaking. Although I would be disappointed because I would have expected India to win more convincingly, the closely-fought cricket more than made up for it.

cricket_lover said:
India came close several times under ganguly, 1-1 daw in England, 1-1 in Australia, the close series loss against WI.

I would still rate those drawn series results against Australia and England as better. This is because that was against tougher opposition.

The Windies, even with Lara, Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul in the team, have been thrashed at home, by South Africa, England, and Australia, and by much larger margins. Whats more, apart from maybe one game, the entire series used to be one sided.

Congratulations nevertheless on the series win.

That was a great match to end a great tour! The ODI's were very close, & the Test series was very good too! After 35 years, this is a great series victory!

The Monk is one of those persons who has played very well here, be it batting, bowling, fielding! And THE WALL, the hero, I hope he reaches 10,000 quickly too!

m_vaughan said:
I would still rate those drawn series results against Australia and England as better. This is because that was against tougher opposition.

The Windies, even with Lara, Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul in the team, have been thrashed at home, by South Africa, England, and Australia, and by much larger margins. Whats more, apart from maybe one game, the entire series used to be one sided.

Congratulations nevertheless on the series win.
True, but you also have to look at the context of the tour. India had just come off a short break without cricket, while West Indies had thrashed Zimbabwe and were in match practice. Bowlers like Tino Best didn't play on this tour, instead we saw the growth of bowlers like Collymore, Edwards and Taylor. There was no proper spinner played in those series, here there was Dave Mohammad, who unfortunately got only a game. Dwayne Bravo arrived in style, in this tour. To be honest, if India had taken 4 more wickets, we would have been up 3-0 with a 200+ run victory and an innings+ victory.

Collymore, Edwards and Taylor have played against SA and England. Not sure about Australia though. They even had Jermaine Lawson then. Dwayne Bravo has been WI's Andrew Flintoff for a while now, and Ive been saying this again and again.

Good to see us getting a win there,for a moment Sarwan was looking good and it was looking as if the West Indies might have a chance but since his wicket fell India were always favorites to win comfortably even considering the brilliant knock by Ramdin.Hopefully we can win more consistenly abroad from here on.

sid_19840 said:
Good to see us getting a win there,for a moment Sarwan was looking good and it was looking as if the West Indies might have a chance but since his wicket fell India were always favorites to win comfortably even considering the brilliant knock by Ramdin.Hopefully we can win more consistenly abroad from here on.
India are more than capable. I think by winning this series, any mental blocks that might have been present should be cleared.

m_vaughan said:
Collymore, Edwards and Taylor have played against SA and England. Not sure about Australia though. They even had Jermaine Lawson then. Dwayne Bravo has been WI's Andrew Flintoff for a while now, and Ive been saying this again and again.
Yup, but you missed my point of the development of the players. Take an example of Irfan Pathan. When we toured Australia, he was showing signs of being a decent bowler. When we toured Pakistan, he wrecked them. The West Indies bowlers got into form in the ODI series and definitely raised questions. Collymore, Edwards and Taylor weren't regular members of those squads. This was a time Windies cricket was struggling, and their bowling line-up almost changed with every game.

I think India were also pretty unlucky in this test series in terms of the weather and a string of bad umpiring decision in match 3. When one looks at the scoreline, it is easy to demean India's achievements when comparing them to those by South Africa and England. But West Indies weren't really in the hunt to win any of the test matches going into the last day's play, so the scoreline could have been much more in the Indians favour, but for some gritty lower-order defending.

Also, it seems the pitches were much more well-suited for fast bowling when England toured; and England with their bowling line-up as it was then, would have been tough for anyone to face.

Users who are viewing this thread