India Team Discussion

B

Bigby Wolf

This is why I find the 'CAC' body a joke. It is an absolute joke! Now there's Sehwag in the fray. I will guarantee you that Shastri or him will land the job. There's friendships to cater to. CAC with Sehwag, Kohli with Shastri! Either way, we'll be ridiculed.

If there is one iota of professionalism, Moody will be made coach!
By that logic Moody can also be backed as Laxman is in the CAC - SRH and IPL.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
By that logic Moody can also be backed as Laxman is in the CAC - SRH and IPL.

I get that mate, but the fact that these three were team mates for so long.. You develop a deep friendship, almost a family feeling and it no doubt plays a role in the professional aspect of things. I for one, see a massive conflict of interest in such things!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
The news is that Bumrah and Rohit got the dressing down from Anil Kumble. I don't see what's wrong in it. Bumrah bowled not one, but numerous no balls. It is an unwillingness to be pro in my opinion. He has improved a lot as a bowler but you need to be pro about such details. It's what separates the true greats from what could have beens. As for R Sharma? Less said the better. He has his head so far up his rear it's not funny.. Like I have said numerous times before, this group is i very very used to each other and in a serious comfort zone. This elimination of Kumble is a protest to him dragging them out of that zone.. I don't see the boons of it.

Like @SaiSrini has suggested, we need a bit of a shake up at the top. The very fact that Dhawan got picked for the CT after playing innings after innings for himself in the IPL shows where this group is at. It's not a secret that him and Kohli are such good friends! IMHO, we need this lineup -

Pant
Rahul
Kohli
Dhoni
Raina
Pandya
Jadeja
K Yadav
B Kumar
U Yadav/M Shami
Bumrah

I would keep R Sharma on the bench. Dhawan, Jadhav etc on the fringes just to see how this works out! I think dropping Yuvi is harsh but him and Dhoni both at the top isn't as threatening as it was. I picked Dhoni as my permanent fixture at 4 just for his vast experience and keeping.
One thing I definitely want is the likes of B Kumar, Shami, Umesh really work on hitting in the nets, specially BK. I think just knowing the fact that 8, 9 and 10 can tonk it around if need be gives the guys upstairs some room to hammer!

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Anil Kumble left India job after giving 'dressing-down' to player | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Desperate attempts at salvaging Kohli's "dented" reputation in the wake of this Kumble saga. And if you see closely, a certain BCCI official without giving his name, is letting out all this information to the media and is trying hard to paint the negative picture on Kumble. Saying that "timing was not right" and that "he should have waited before giving the dressing down" is all BS. After such a humiliating loss, the coach is not allowed to give a piece of his mind? He is not just any coach, he is Anil Kumble and all the players must know his history and reputation with Indian cricket like at the back of their hand.

This to me seems the handiwork of BCCI with the help of Kohli, to get rid of Kumble. Kumble being part of the ICC Cricket Committee (he has stayed back in England to attend the ICC Cricket Committee meeting) and his recent strong opinions has made the BCCI cunningly dispose him off by concocting a story like this and by bringing Virat Kohli on board as its 'lead actor'. Suddenly the name of Rohit Sharma has popped up today. Do you see the timing? We were all talking about how Kohli is wrong and that he can be replaced and we have options like Rohit Sharma, who has done well in the IPL recently. Suddenly today, Rohit's name crops up as the guy who was given the dressing down by Kumble. Are you telling me that Kumble would give a dressing down to Rohit who has only failed in the final, but has scored 90's and 100's in this tournament? This is surely a cooked up story by the BCCI.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
What it also says is that the cricket fan is a fool! We tune into these idiotic press conferences where the questions are monotone and the answers seem mugged and rehearsed well. I understand that while the CT was on it was important not to let all this out in the open but now as a fan I deserve to know what's happened as do the billions that care about cricket.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I am not impressed by Kohli's message that "dressing room conversations need to stay where it should be". Now that Kumble has given his side of the story out in public, Kohli has to present his side of the story. If not, then we have to believe in Kumble's side of the story. If you are not wrong, what's the issue in coming out and clearing yourself? To me, only people who doubt in their decisions will choose to keep it away from the public. If Kohli is really in the right, he should open up about it.

Also read an article that post Kumble's exit, the players pay structure fight will be affected. If true, then the BCCI has got what it wanted. And that will lend more credence to my theory that BCCI has played backroom politics to get rid of Kumble.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I think this hide and seek will only do Kohli harm. Initially, I was behind VK in this situation. Cricket is a captain's sport, not a coach's. But, this silence is making me feel more and more inclined towards Anil Kumble. And I do not like this 'groups' message Kohli has set for our squad!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I completely agree with Kohli here. No matter whoever is at fault dressing room stories should not freaking come out in public to face humiliation this way. I would have been more pissed at Kohli had he said his part blaming Kumble. The blame game would have continued and still we wouldnt have known the truth. So people complaining about Kohli not letting his side of story, I feel he did the more mature thing then what a legend Kumble could not do. I am not siding with Kohli but pre-social media generation things like this would have never come out. Kumble had he resigned saying he resigns and not put things in "" saying captain had reservations and all he would have gained more respect but by starting the blame game, no matter how much of a legend you are, you cannot get away. Impressed by Kohli here.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Cricket is no longer a sport where things are and can be hidden. Its a sport that is watched by millions and is also followed by millions. In fact there is battle going on as to whether cricket needs to be included in the "RTI act of India" so that the public gets to know what is happening. Obviously when you remain quiet, you are perceived to be hiding something and that is looked at negatively. Kumble being a man of principles and clean nature, decide to put out his thoughts in the open and yet he was very diplomatic in the way he worded his exit letter. He didn't point fingers at anyone and yet he said that due to the "reservations of the captain", it is not possible to continue and it is best to move on.

Kohli can do a similar thing where he puts his side of the story diplomatically. Anil Kumble is a hugely respected figure in international cricket, not just Indian cricket. Apart from a few handful of Kohli supporters, there is a huge number of cricket followers who have sided with Anil Kumble (its clear to see, if you scout social media and forums, etc.). It would be good if Kohli clears his side up and gets on with his life. Well if he does not decide to, then he should face the brickbats. If he is right in this whole saga, let him put his argument forward.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
I completely agree with Kohli here. No matter whoever is at fault dressing room stories should not freaking come out in public to face humiliation this way. I would have been more pissed at Kohli had he said his part blaming Kumble. The blame game would have continued and still we wouldnt have known the truth. So people complaining about Kohli not letting his side of story, I feel he did the more mature thing then what a legend Kumble could not do. I am not siding with Kohli but pre-social media generation things like this would have never come out. Kumble had he resigned saying he resigns and not put things in "" saying captain had reservations and all he would have gained more respect but by starting the blame game, no matter how much of a legend you are, you cannot get away. Impressed by Kohli here.
Sorry, Let's agree to disagree. If Kumble would not have put his foot down he would have been made a scapegoat.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I'd agree with Kohli's position generally but I find this to be the exception, he's up against a legend like Anil Kumble, that alone has people doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to side with him. Kohli has to come out and at the very least in a diplomatic fashion explain the state of the dressing room under Kumble, because right now, in the court of public opinion he's getting absolutely wrecked and that's not good for him or the dressing room that we've got rid off Kumble to protect.

Gaurav Kalra: We need to hear Virat Kohli's side of the story on why Anil Kumble left as coach | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket is no longer a sport where things are and can be hidden. Its a sport that is watched by millions and is also followed by millions. In fact there is battle going on as to whether cricket needs to be included in the "RTI act of India" so that the public gets to know what is happening. Obviously when you remain quiet, you are perceived to be hiding something and that is looked at negatively. Kumble being a man of principles and clean nature, decide to put out his thoughts in the open and yet he was very diplomatic in the way he worded his exit letter. He didn't point fingers at anyone and yet he said that due to the "reservations of the captain", it is not possible to continue and it is best to move on.

Kohli can do a similar thing where he puts his side of the story diplomatically. Anil Kumble is a hugely respected figure in international cricket, not just Indian cricket. Apart from a few handful of Kohli supporters, there is a huge number of cricket followers who have sided with Anil Kumble (its clear to see, if you scout social media and forums, etc.). It would be good if Kohli clears his side up and gets on with his life. Well if he does not decide to, then he should face the brickbats. If he is right in this whole saga, let him put his argument forward.
How would the RTI act of India be applied here if it could be?

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I'd agree with Kohli's position generally but I find this to be the exception, he's up against a legend like Anil Kumble, that alone has people doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to side with him. Kohli has to come out and at the very least in a diplomatic fashion explain the state of the dressing room under Kumble, because right now, in the court of public opinion he's getting absolutely wrecked and that's not good for him or the dressing room that we've got rid off Kumble to protect.

Gaurav Kalra: We need to hear Virat Kohli's side of the story on why Anil Kumble left as coach | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

How would the RTI act of India be applied here if it could be?

By Kohli telling us what happened, obviously. And not just some diplomatic answer like what he has presented right now.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
By Kohli telling us what happened, obviously. And not just some diplomatic answer like what he has presented right now.
I don't think that's how the RTI act works, the RTI act of India as I understand it gives the right to any citizen of India to request information from a public authority, which would need to be a body of government, is the BCCI technically considered as such? Even if it was it'd be a bit of a stretch to hold the captain of the cricket team accountable under RTI, the administrators on the other hand I'd agree with.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I don't think that's how the RTI act works, the RTI act of India as I understand it gives the right to any citizen of India to request information from a public authority, which would need to be a body of government, is the BCCI technically considered as such? Even if it was it'd be a bit of a stretch to hold the captain of the cricket team accountable under RTI, the administrators on the other hand I'd agree with.

Wait, I never said that "the RTI act requires Kohli to divulge information and so he should talk". If you read my post clearly, I used that "RTI act" thing as an argument to state that in times when the public want to know what's happening (there is pressure to bring BCCI into the RTI act, and BCCI has not budged; I do know that BCCI is not under this act and so does their players). I just used it to state my argument that in today's times, it is required from players and bodies to divulge information about what happened, especially when crisis situations like this happens.

Of course Kohli has all the right to keep quiet and not say anything. But he will be seen as the wrong guy here. Kumble has put his side of the story out and unless Kohli says something, people are expected to support Kumble.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Wait, I never said that "the RTI act requires Kohli to divulge information and so he should talk". If you read my post clearly, I used that "RTI act" thing as an argument to state that in times when the public want to know what's happening (there is pressure to bring BCCI into the RTI act, and BCCI has not budged; I do know that BCCI is not under this act and so does their players). I just used it to state my argument that in today's times, it is required from players and bodies to divulge information about what happened, especially when crisis situations like this happens.

Of course Kohli has all the right to keep quiet and not say anything. But he will be seen as the wrong guy here. Kumble has put his side of the story out and unless Kohli says something, people are expected to support Kumble.
I didn't say you said that either lol, I was just approaching this situation in an hypothetical world where the BCCI was under RTI (I genuinely did not know whether they were or not, last I remember there was calls for it to be made so during the 2012 fiasco) and we used some extreme interpretation of the law where it went all the way down to the captains of our cricket teams. Anyway I'm all for transparency where it's justified and I definitely agree with you that in this case we as fans deserve to know what happened, not all the details, but something more than silence from actual people and leaks from unnamed sources.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread