India v England 2008

When 9/11 happened or the London bombings, were we saying people should donate money? No. People did, but they did it out of the goodness of their heart. It really is a tiny amount from the BCCI compared to how much money they have, and to me smells of a cheap publicty stunt!
No one is forced to donate--that's the whole point of the voluntary basis of donating. It is extremely pathetic to claim someone didn't donate enough if you yourself were too selfish to open your wallet. Don't forget that the BCCI, like many other organizations based in Bombay, could have very easily ignored the situation and not done anything. Of course, some people think the BCCI is all-evil and our too proud of their opinions to sit down and thank them for their contributions.

Which batsman would you drop? I'm presuming Bell is one of them. Rest KP as he has a fractured rib?

Hmmmm, yeah Bell for Shah would seem the natural choice. Guess it would be unfair on Colly to drop him after his century.

Rashid for Monty. Will be nice to see a leg spinner playing for England.

The england selection comitee have said they wont pick Rashid though and he is only there for the experience of what it is like. Although you never know with the ECB and they could do anything. But what makes you think Rashid is going to better than Panesar?

No one is forced to donate--that's the whole point of the voluntary basis of donating. It is extremely pathetic to claim someone didn't donate enough if you yourself were too selfish to open your wallet. Don't forget that the BCCI, like many other organizations based in Bombay, could have very easily ignored the situation and not done anything. Of course, some people think the BCCI is all-evil and our too proud of their opinions to sit down and thank them for their contributions.

a) You don't even know if WC donated money

b) It is bloody rude to ask someone if they have donated money or to say they should donate money

c) Are you aying I should donate money?

d) The contribution from the BCCI is tiny compared to the amount of money that they have. There will have been larger donations from individuals who might be richer then the average Indian but will not be anywhere near what the BCCI have available to them.

The england selection comitee have said they wont pick Rashid though and he is only there for the experience of what it is like. Although you never know with the ECB and they could do anything. But what makes you think Rashid is going to better than Panesar?

Well he is a prospect, and it would add some excitement to the game for sure.

Monty is simply too ineffective, even Kev could bowl more effectively on the sub continent.

No offence Kev. ;)

a) You don't even know if WC donated money

b) It is bloody rude to ask someone if they have donated money or to say they should donate money

c) Are you aying I should donate money?
If you are going to harp about other people being stingy when donating their money, then yes, I think I have every right to question your right to do that if you haven't loosened your purse strings. And that is not a personal 'you' but a general 'you' for anyone who wishes to criticize benevolent acts when they themselves are not willing to contribute.

d) The contribution from the BCCI is tiny compared to the amount of money that they have. There will have been larger donations from individuals who might be richer then the average Indian but will not be anywhere near what the BCCI have available to them.
It doesn't matter how much they donated. The very fact that they were making a benevolent gesture seems to be lost on you. I am sure the poor people who are injured in the hospital and don't have the expenses to cover it appreciate the BCCI's donation compared to armchair critics who feel like BCCI's control of the cricketing world is a reasonable excuse to attack them over a benevolent gesture.

When Bill Gates donated US$1 million to AIDS research in India, I didn't see anyone questioning the smallness of his donation though he was a billionaire.

If you are going to harp about other people being stingy when donating their money, then yes, I think I have every right to question your right to do that if you haven't loosened your purse strings. And that is not a personal 'you' but a general 'you' for anyone who wishes to criticize benevolent acts when they themselves are not willing to contribute.

Actually the BCCI are a group of people so it is far easier for them to donate a lot more money. As I said before I think it is just a cheap publicity stunt. Oh and with all the money donated to the victims of the London Bombings, did you see English members pressuring (because that is what you are doing) the rest of the forum to donate money? Of course not. People are allowed to have their opinion, you just want to bloody well bash people around the head with your self-righteousness :rolleyes:

Actually the BCCI are a group of people so it is far easier for them to donate a lot more money. As I said before I think it is just a cheap publicity stunt. Oh and with all the money donated to the victims of the London Bombings, did you see English members pressuring (because that is what you are doing) the rest of the forum to donate money? Of course not. People are allowed to have their opinion, you just want to bloody well bash people around the head with your self-righteousness :rolleyes:
I am not pressuring anyone to donate. Where did you get that? I myself have not donated any money, so why the hell would I pressure anyone else to do so? So there goes that theory and the whole comparison to the London bombings. Maybe you are having troubles comprehending my usage of the word "you"...?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I'm just pointing out why I think your opinion of BCCI's donation is simply a reflection of the image you hold of the BCCI and not their actual act of benevolence. It is also my opinion that no one has a moral right to criticize someone's gesture of benevolence in a situation like this, especially when they have not made any similar gesture. By the way, this does not mean that I am pressuring you to donate. It means what it is: I think it's in extremely poor taste to criticize someone for doing something good.

And the BCCI is not a group of people, it is an organization with board members and an official hierarchy. It's not as if everyone has personal assets sitting around in the BCCI and can stand up and say, "Oh, I'll put US$100,000 of my $10mil forward into the victims grant."

And finally, you don't seem to have any responses for my main arguments, and instead seem intent on proving that I am somehow pressuring people to donate. What do you have to say about:

(1) The fact that the BCCI could have easily ignored the need for raising money and pushed the onus onto their players to follow the lead from the English cricketers.
(2) The fact that these donations are going to go a long way in easing the financial burden of the victims.

I especially stress (2)... the families of the injured would greatly appreciate any financial help and would certainly not think of the BCCI's donations as a "cheap publicity stunt".

EDIT: It's fun and popular to bash the BCCI. This was evident in a recent thread regarding cricketing relations with Sri Lanka, where everyone jumped on the hatewagon without even checking the sources or the facts. The truth does not matter when the time comes to bash the BCCI!

When 9/11 happened or the London bombings, were we saying people should donate money? No. People did, but they did it out of the goodness of their heart. It really is a tiny amount from the BCCI compared to how much money they have, and to me smells of a cheap publicty stunt!
Can never win sometimes. Are you saying it's better to not donate than donate what you think is little ?!

Still smells of a publicity stunt, they could have given a significantly larger portion of their money the fact that someone hasn't given money themselves doesn't mean they can't have a view on whether they think it was a publicity stunt.

even Kev could bowl more effectively on the sub continent
Me or KP?

Anyone who has seen my bowling knows without a doubt how effective it is.

Totally ineffective

On the BCCI donation, of course it's a publicity stunt. But at least they donated. It's no different to anyone else's donation that is followed by a press release. When any company or organisation donates money and then tells us about it of course its for publicity, but what's wrong with that, the donation is made that's the important thing. You dont get many organisations donating money and not telling anyone do you?

On the BCCI donation, of course it's a publicity stunt. But at least they donated. It's no different to anyone else's donation that is followed by a press release. When any company or organisation donates money and then tells us about it of course its for publicity, but what's wrong with that, the donation is made that's the important thing. You dont get many organisations donating money and not telling anyone do you?

True, I am forgetting that very few companies do anything because of a moral point of view and are more concerned with looking good in the press. I suppose it is like these people who always make a big point of announcing they donate to charity. "And?" Suppose every penny helps, I just feel with all the money that the BCCI has, they probably could have given a bit more

When Bill Gates donated US$1 million to AIDS research in India, I didn't see anyone questioning the smallness of his donation though he was a billionaire.

Why would Bill Gates would donate ? Is Bill gates an indian or live here ? Thats is gratitude that he donated 1million $ for the AIDS recearch in India.

Users who are viewing this thread