India v England 2008

the 7th wicket falls it's all over for England !!

What a match scoring on this pitch is not at all a easy task but Yuvi Proved Himself that he is the Prince!!

Poor luck for the English, good bowling by Broad but still it didn't help out ..

and also the England took the most of the advantage of the batting side power play decision :clap

2-0 :happy

191/7, this cannot get any better >D

Woah, that's the way to start a batting powerplay :D Awesome shot Freddie. That Puma bat must have a middle on it. Desperately need KP and Fred to bat the majority of the overs now, maybe promote Ravi, he can really give it a whack.

Wahey, what an over, 3 sixes and singles of every other ball. Another 4 overs like that and we'll be right back in the game. This is going to be a good end, just so long as we don't get the customary England collapse.

Here we go......=\ Flintoff LBW to Yuvraj. Lucky we've still got Colly, Ravi, Samit and Broad still to come, this is going to be a good end. Ravi and Broad to win us the game like in England?

I fear the collapse has already began and unfortunately, This is not going england's way anymore. :(

But What a match and performances from Everyone, especially Yuvraj will be remembered for the times to come. :)..

Well KP made three errors with the bowling attack: no Swann, didn't finish Flintoff off (bowled only 9) and underbowled Jimmy Anderson. With the batting he keeps Prior as an openner, he comes out at number 4 and Bopara at 8. These are just wastes.

What a shot Stuart :D He should open. He never will like but if I was selector he would. He's going to hit a late century to steal MotM from Yuvraj :p

Trott is miles better than Denly and Key. Anyway, Prior getting 38 off 64 is pointless. If you're going to use up 11 overs then it needs to be for a few more runs than 38. Bell was crap as per usual.

the only player in England who can hit hundreds like KP is Trott.

If that was the case he'd have a List A average of above 41, and have scored more than 8 OD hundreds. He's not as amazing as you make him out to be. He's got some talent yes, and he's one of the better OD players in England atm, but he's nowhere near KP levels of talent. I'd rather have Bopara in the side tbh. He was far better last year in the FP Trophy. He scored a hundred in 25 overs in the Pro 40, he's brilliant. Should be batting at 3 in ODi cricket, with Pietersen at 4 and Shah at 5.

I'd be tempted to drop Bell and Prior as well, bringing 2 proper openers in, which would obviously have to be Denly and Key. Foster is the best lower order keeper-batsman in England also, and we also need a proper spinner in the team, Patel's not good enough, not in India anyway. He'll do a job in England, but not in India. He's a decent batsman though, so possibly deserves his place.

Samit's gone as well, only JUST caught by Gambhir.

lol broad and patel steal the game away. Imagine the press news. Good timer of the ball is young Broad. I was expecting a slogger considering his height. He definetly should get promoted sometime in the future. Number 6 in 3-4 years.

EDIT: Patel goes

I'm surprised at the calls for Joe Denly in the side. The last time I checked his statistics, he had a first-class average of 57 but now it's dropped down to 35. :eek:

Prior is a useless ODI opening batsman. He has success attacking the bowling when the field setting is attacking in Tests but he can't seem to hit through the infield when the fielders are on the edge of the circle. Similar problem as what Michael Slater used to have.

If that was the case he'd have a List A average of above 41, and have scored more than 8 OD hundreds. He's not as amazing as you make him out to be. He's got some talent yes, and he's one of the better OD players in England atm, but he's nowhere near KP levels of talent. I'd rather have Bopara in the side tbh. He was far better last year in the FP Trophy. He scored a hundred in 25 overs in the Pro 40, he's brilliant. Should be batting at 3 in ODi cricket, with Pietersen at 4 and Shah at 5.

I'd be tempted to drop Bell and Prior as well, bringing 2 proper openers in, which would obviously have to be Denly and Key. Foster is the best lower order keeper-batsman in England also, and we also need a proper spinner in the team, Patel's not good enough, not in India anyway. He'll do a job in England, but not in India. He's a decent batsman though, so possibly deserves his place.

Samit's gone as well, only JUST caught by Gambhir.
An average of above 41? So bad it's only about the fifth best in the history of English cricket. Don't froget Trott opens a lot f the time. Kp only has 5 hundreds in od cricket outside of ODI's. I'm not sure how many of them came after he was selected for England too but I'd be willing to bet at least one. or Bopara who's had a similar number of games to Trott, he has 4. Or mr key who has about 50 games more, he has 3 more than him. Hundreds don't come easily you know. He's a class act in OD cricket.

Game over. Fred and Broad can feel proud, but there a few things to sort out for England to find the right balance.

again, they tried their best but failed again as i expected. they just are not good high run chasers. well played india overall.

fielding was very impressive, suresh raina was superb. well done. dunno what english dressing will be right now :D

Arunava added 14 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

this is the perfect time to play world cup :D it wud have been nice,if world cup wud have taken place a week later or so :p then another cup was very likely to go india's way.

An average of above 41? So bad it's only about the fifth best in the history of English cricket. Don't froget Trott opens a lot f the time. Kp only has 5 hundreds in od cricket outside of ODI's. I'm not sure how many of them came after he was selected for England too but I'd be willing to bet at least one. or Bopara who's had a similar number of games to Trott, he has 4. Or mr key who has about 50 games more, he has 3 more than him. Hundreds don't come easily you know. He's a class act in OD cricket..

Yeh, sorry an average of 41 is bloody impressive actually. I wouldn't say Trott's an opener though, I can't remember him opening in the games I've seen him play. If he does open though, get him up there with Denly. Be an immense partnership. Need to sort Bell and Prior out, they're clearly not good enough to open in ODi's, they bat too slow and never look like hitting scores.

A team of:
Trott
Denly
Bopara
Pietersen
Shah
Flintoff
Foster
Swann
Broad
Harmison
Anderson

Would be seriously impressive, we just can't seem to get a good batting line-up sorted. We're just trying to pack the line-up with as many batters as possible, which just isn't working, no-one knows their role within the team. Pietersen obviously wants to bat at 4, and I'd rather have Ravi in at 3, considering that's where he bats in County Cricket, with Shah in his more familiar 5th position. Be a far better all-round batting line-up. The selectors don't have the balls to drop Bell, Prior or Collingwood though, so we're not going to see it.

man England wasn't even close to win any of these games.
they should just give up or try out something new or else they will end up losing the series 6-0
because they are no match for India.

Last edited:
Yeah dissapointing from England. Threatened at times. Their balance is wacked. For the next ODI:
Cook (might as well try)
Bell
KP
Flintoff
Shah
Collingwood/Bopara
Patel
Prior/Ambrose (or whoever is reserve wicki)
Swann
Broad
Harmison

With figures of 1/20, KP under-bowled himself more than Anderson. India's bowling figures tell the story of what England need to look at. 0/117 in 20 overs of seam bowling, 9/119 in 27 overs of spin. Even though they were at times hit for six, the greater weight was the slowness of the pitch, forcing the batsman to create the pace and the odd ball misbehaving, which meant that a spinner doing all the right things would naturally procure a deceptive delivery.

England's fast bowlers managed 5/180 in 32 overs, so with some sharp spin included they could start turning these 300 pitches into 250 pitches.

In terms of England's batting they just have that one problem that's been there for ages. Any great one day side has a chunky top order, but England routinely have their least performing players up there. Solve the top order, create a great team.

Users who are viewing this thread