India v England 2008

I'm just imagining it now, James Benning vs Brett Lee, at Perth. HAHA.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Yuvi does it again. After the first match it was a great knock and i was a bit dissapointed that Yusuf Pathan did not perform as well. However today a good knock from Pathan and another math winning performance from Yuvi, if he continues this i think he wiil be in the test against England.

Yuvraj my man does it again. Yuvraj and Yusuf made the difference today, Adn to belive people were/are doubting their places. I awlays had faith in Yuvraj and Yusuf. Could someone like Badrinath have played an innings like that or given us a finsih like that...Or helping us unbeleievably with the bowling like that. Thou answer is NO. Hands down to them two. Rohit Sharma should be dropped for Tendulkar IMO, He hasn't really made enough substantia scores since his debut imo.

I really thought England were going to win because KP and Freddie were going so well at 180-3, But Yuvraj sorted that out. What I was impressed with his bowling was that he got his wickets KBW or bowled, Only one caught in the deep..

Yusuf Khan Pathan has extradordinary power, I am starting to think Yusuf has more 6 hitting power than Dhoni...

Could someone like Badrinath have played an innings like that or given us a finsih like that...Or helping us unbeleievably with the bowling like that. Thou answer is NO.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/313062.html

Yeah, I'm sure he never could.

Granted, Badri is as spectacular as Yuvraj, or as destructive, but he is twice as reliable, he must do that kind of stuff like every 2 games for TN or India A. And yes, his bowling is of a lesser quality too, but he's damn dependable.

Edit: I forgot, he can't hit sixers and fours like UVVVVVV can, so nevermind, he can rot forever at the lower grades of cricket, Yuvraj will be there to save with his tons after 2/3 series' of failure.

Last edited:
South Africa A. England's bowling line up is far more threatening. Batting line up too.

Yes, but exactly how many chances has Badri been given at the England line up on a spinning track, but yeah I'd concede on the quality of the bowling, Yuvraj is superior. It's just that you said that Badri couldn't take us to victory in such a manner, which is rubbish seeing as he has shown the potential to do so, but hasn't been given the chance.

I'm definitely not saying that he WILL succeed, just that he deserves his chance for working his ass off all these years, where Yuvraj has it on a plate because he wows everyone with his flamboyance.

Edit: I thought you said batting line up, erm, he's clattered around quality line ups in the IPL like Yuvraj did today, so let's take some notice in that. Plus, Langeveldt (would have been today without complications), Morkel, Philander, Kleinveldt and Botha play for the Saffers today, and the Saffers are widely recognised as the second team in the pack (although England ODIs were dismal), so surely, they cannot be that bad.

Last edited:
Edit: I forgot, he can't hit sixers and fours like UVVVVVV can, so nevermind, he can rot forever at the lower grades of cricket, Yuvraj will be there to save with his tons after 2/3 series' of failure.
Here are Yuvi's last 10 series':

1. vs Srl in Sri Lanka (2008): 72 @ 14.40, HS of 23 FAIL
2. vs Pak, Ban, Srl in Sri Lanka (2008): 157 @ 52.33, HS of 48 SUCCEED
3. vs Pak, Ban in Bangladesh (2008): 137 @ 45.66, HS of 56, two 50s vs. Pak SUCCEED
4. vs Aus, Srl in Australia (2008): 202 @ 22.44, HS of 76 FAIL
5. vs Pak in India (2007): 272 @ 68.00, HS of 77, four 50s in 5 games SUCCEED
6. vs Aus in India (2007): 192 @ 32.00, HS of 121 BARELY FAIL
7. vs Eng in England (2007): 283 @ 40.42, HS of 72 SUCCEED
8. vs Rsa in Ireland (2007): 123 @ 123.00, HS of 61* SUCCEED
9. vs Ban in Bangladesh (2007): 25 @ 12.50, HS of 24 FAIL
10. vs Ban, Ber, Srl in West Indies (2007): 136 @ 45.33, HS of 83 SUCCEED

I'll include the previous one, too, since the performance in the World Cup was largely against lesser teams:

11. vs Srl in India (2007): 116 @ 116.00, HS of 95* SUCCEED

As you can see here, in his last 11 series, Yuvraj hasn't really been abysmal in 2 back-to-back series'. I think you are paying attention to much to the fact that he got dominated by Mendis. I think apart from Gambhir and Dhoni, he's been one of our more consistent ODI batsmen. He shouldn't be near the Test team, though. I think Badri is a far better fit in the 5-day outfit.

In my defence, 2,3,5 were complete flat tracks, if memory serves me correct. Plus, I'm talking current form too, like domestic stuff, other than the century against touring Aussies, I can't think of another substantial innings.

7 wickets lost to part timers is a worry for England. That really should not happen, even in ODI cricket.

In my defence, 2,3,5 were complete flat tracks, if memory serves me correct. Plus, I'm talking current form too, like domestic stuff, other than the century against touring Aussies, I can't think of another substantial innings.
The flatness of the track is irrelevant. Subcontinent ODI tracks are not going to offer anything to bowlers for the most part, so the argument to playing Yuvraj in India is only strengthened.

As for domestic form, that's another issue altogether. He is obviously at a period of his life where his physical fitness is beginning to be somewhat of an issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not putting his all into domestic games (and risk injuring himself) when his international form has been good enough to warrant a selection.

So, I'm not so sure how much use it is the team to have a guy who will blast runs in flat conditions, then go over to over seas conditions and fail, where you can have a guy who will perform well under both. I don't know, I jjust find it grossly unfair on Badri, perhaps I'm just being very bitter and picking on such small things, but I just hate to see Badri not being given a chance at all, when he truly deserves it. I just want him in there somehow, I really do believe he'll be a great asset to the team.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, if Yuvraj takes Ganguly's spot in the Test for the 2 matches now.

7 wickets lost to part timers is a worry for England. That really should not happen, even in ODI cricket.

In my opinion, the issue came with conceding a far too high total on what was a pretty helpful track for bowlers early in the morning. Commentators called it a 220 track and Sehwag called it a 240 track - in the end, it was far too many runs for England to chase and they had to go for it against the part timers and failed spectacularly. I believe the loss of wickets from part timers was due to nothing more than too high a total and leaving it too late (because perhaps of the weak top order) to accelerate.

manee added 1 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Yusuf Khan Pathan has extradordinary power, I am starting to think Yusuf has more 6 hitting power than Dhoni...

We don't have to choose, we got both of them in the middle order.:p

Here are Yuvi's last 10 series':

1. vs Srl in Sri Lanka (2008): 72 @ 14.40, HS of 23 FAIL
2. vs Pak, Ban, Srl in Sri Lanka (2008): 157 @ 52.33, HS of 48 SUCCEED
3. vs Pak, Ban in Bangladesh (2008): 137 @ 45.66, HS of 56, two 50s vs. Pak SUCCEED
4. vs Aus, Srl in Australia (2008): 202 @ 22.44, HS of 76 FAIL
5. vs Pak in India (2007): 272 @ 68.00, HS of 77, four 50s in 5 games SUCCEED
6. vs Aus in India (2007): 192 @ 32.00, HS of 121 BARELY FAIL
7. vs Eng in England (2007): 283 @ 40.42, HS of 72 SUCCEED
8. vs Rsa in Ireland (2007): 123 @ 123.00, HS of 61* SUCCEED
9. vs Ban in Bangladesh (2007): 25 @ 12.50, HS of 24 FAIL
10. vs Ban, Ber, Srl in West Indies (2007): 136 @ 45.33, HS of 83 SUCCEED

I'll include the previous one, too, since the performance in the World Cup was largely against lesser teams:

11. vs Srl in India (2007): 116 @ 116.00, HS of 95* SUCCEED

As you can see here, in his last 11 series, Yuvraj hasn't really been abysmal in 2 back-to-back series'. I think you are paying attention to much to the fact that he got dominated by Mendis. I think apart from Gambhir and Dhoni, he's been one of our more consistent ODI batsmen. He shouldn't be near the Test team, though. I think Badri is a far better fit in the 5-day outfit.

Check out the bowling. Quite crap, he's feasted on Bangladesh and Pakistan. Pakistan does not have a good bowling attack, especially during that time frame. He's been absolutely owned outside the sub continent - I think he's a flat track bully personally.

Also see his last 10 or so domestic games - failed vs Delhi (decent attack), got absolutely pummeled in the Challengers.
Yuvraj will get the test call up. This isn't good for Indian cricket.

Yusuf Pathan - ughhh. I just want India to crash to 23/5 and see how far they get with a middle order full of sloggers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread