India v England 2008

Denly isn't ready yet, no doubt he has talent but he needs a big season before he can play imo. Last time he was in India he was well out of his depth and struggled.

Trott didn't open any of the FP trophy games but he opened all the pro40. Hit 1 century and a few fifties. He can do either but I would like to see him opening or at 3.

england need sehwag and gambhir at the top, any good wk and ajantha mendis. and they'll do wonders :D this says what they are missing out.

I'm surprised at the calls for Joe Denly in the side. The last time I checked his statistics, he had a first-class average of 57 but now it's dropped down to 35. :eek:

Prior is a useless ODI opening batsman. He has success attacking the bowling when the field setting is attacking in Tests but he can't seem to hit through the infield when the fielders are on the edge of the circle. Similar problem as what Michael Slater used to have.

Denly never had a FC average of 57, well maybe after his first 5-6 games, but not after a full season, so you're clearly looking at the wrong fella. He's one of the best young talents in England now, and although his List A statistics don't show it quite yet, he will be class. The earlier he gets a go in the England side the better.

I agree about Prior, he's not an ODi opener. He's got all the shots for Test cricket, but he's not an ODi player tbh. Ambrose is worse, so why he's in the squad is beyond me, more Peter Moores bias. We need James Foster in. He's the best glovesman in the world. High praise, but it's true, there's no better keeper in the world right now. He stands up to bowlers bowling 80mph+ and still stops balls down the leg-side, is incredibly sharp, never drops a catch, and his batting down the order in OD cricket is very useful. Get him in.

As for Karnog's claims of either Prior or Ambrose, no chance. It's Prior or no keeper. I'd rather have Freddie keeping wicket than Ambrose atm. He's a rubbish batsman and an average keeper, no way should he be in the England team. Only reason he's still in the squad is because of his series saving 100 against New Zealand. He only has shots when the bowlers bowl short and wide, so he'd eat into Mitch Johnson :p But most other bowlers would have his number rather easily.

There's no way Cook should come in either. We want someone with a better strike rate to open, not worse. I'd possibly even consider opening with Fred or maybe even Bopara, moving Prior into the middle order. Wouldn't be ideal, but Prior could definitely do a job. As mentioned before, Ravi's wasted at 8, and the sooner England realise this the better.

Last edited:
Gerant Jones was a better keeper and batsman than Prior. Prior just take too long to settle but he didn't score many runs.

Well done Yuvi 4 wickets + 118 runs,its too early to say that he might get man of the Series award,but so far he has done really well,no doubt,India- Eng 2-0,so Eng will really come hard in 3rd ODI,because if they loose there then they will have to win rest 4 matches,which would be very difficult,so far so its been really good for India,thanks to Yuvi,Gambhir & few good knows by Raina,Y Pathan,Dhoni,Sehwag.

Well Cook does have a similar strike rate to Bell and he's done alright in Asia. Bell has had his chance and failed. So imo Cook might as well be played, personally I would like an opening partnership of someone like Benning and Mustard, followed by Trott, KP, Ravi etc. Although the batting order needs to be less rigid. Different players for different situations imo not just a particular position.

No. Definitely not. Whenever he opens he turns into a mindless slogger. He's capable of batting properly, he's scored FC hundreds, he got one for the England Lions a few months back, it's just he gets too involved in this pinch hitter role and tries to smack everything for six. Same with Mustard, and I'm sure the same would happen with Benning. We need 2 proper batsmen at the top of the order, and Denly and Trott/Key would be perfect for the role.

Why would the same happen with Mustard and Benning. Mustard scored 80 in New Zealand and then as dropped. wtf?! benning is a quality OD batsmen in county cricket who because he has a bad FC average doesn't get the chances he deserves.

Because they're both sloggers, especially Mustard. It's not coincidence that the only time Mustard scored runs was on the flattest pitch in New Zealand. He should have been given more of a chance, and picking Ambrose was ludicrous, but he was never massively impressive, and it took a remarkably flat pitch before he made a major contribution.

I don't honestly think either of them, with their List A averages of 26.29 (Mustard) and 34.13 (Benning) will ever make them world beaters. The only slogger that's only made a career out of it in ODi cricket is Sanath Jayasuriya, neither Mustard or Benning are good enough to open in international cricket, not from what I've seen anyway. I'd much rather have proper batsmen in Denly, Key or Trott opening the batting, you don't need a proper slogger to start an OD innings well. Denly and Key would be far more consistant than Mustard and Benning.

Gambhir's not getting anywhere near enough credit. He's consistently proving himself as quite possibly the world's best opener in both forms of the game. He's also helped Sehwag's game no end as well.

England really are a dire side. I expected a lot more from them. Playing Bopara at 8 is shocking. Was surprised before the 1st ODI to see no room for Mascharenas in there, is he really not good enough to get into the side?

India are easily heading towards a 7-0 or 6-1 win over England in this series. I cant believe how more than half of the English batsmen got out to part timers like Yuvraj and Sehwag. Freddie and KP were leading them to victory but when their partnership ended it all started looking impossible for England.

Collingwood has to fire, he is making the middle order very weak atm.

I hope the England don't do as Aussies cried for the Helps from Bedi, Chappel S vaugh etc.. ;)

Well done India well played YUVRAJ THE PRINCE has played a good knock of 100 at the tme needed with accompanied by Gauti :D

England used the Power play really very well they were just so aggressive especially Flintoff the four by Kp of RP was really one of the best shot in the innings

I don't honestly think either of them, with their List A averages of 26.29 (Mustard) and 34.13 (Benning) will ever make them world beaters. The only slogger that's only made a career out of it in ODi cricket is Sanath Jayasuriya, neither Mustard or Benning are good enough to open in international cricket, not from what I've seen anyway. I'd much rather have proper batsmen in Denly, Key or Trott opening the batting, you don't need a proper slogger to start an OD innings well. Denly and Key would be far more consistant than Mustard and Benning.
I think you just contradicted yourself there, Bennings average is above Key and Denly but they're more consistent? We need some positivity and no reason why he shouldn't be given a chance when everyone else has failed.

Users who are viewing this thread