India

Now we are getting somewhere!

So how are issues such labeling Indians as effigy burners, differ from labeling all Australians dirty convicts just because we don't have strong religious believes? I don't understand how they are connected?
The reason the convicts is okay is because The Ashes is the oldest and biggest rivalry in cricket and many of the stereotypes and banter that exists today is simply an outgrowth of that. I think I'd struggle to find an Australian take offense to the term "convict" in the middle of an Ashes discussion. In contrast, if I went up to a random in Australia and called him a convict with no context whatsoever, I'd probably get my face bashed in and create headlines in the 45 news channels in India. :p

Effigy burning, in contrast, is something that has only been around for about 5-10 years. There has been the odd incident at Eden Gardens where crazy supporters have burnt a whole stand down when India was losing. Perhaps in time it will be okay, but right now the tone it is presented in appears to be to put down the country, especially if it is provided in a context where other social issues are ridiculed.

Now we are getting somewhere!

So how are issues such labeling Indians as effigy burners, differ from labeling all Australians dirty convicts just because we don't have strong religious believes? I don't understand how they are connected?

Another example is. Why is it i could call a Englishmen, "a tea drinking pom" but can't call an Indian a curry muncher? (although i expect the answer to be because of conflicting races)

IMO, curry muncher doesnt even sound racist...
if you call me a curry muncher, i wouldnt give a fearsome tweak......

Whenever India looses big time this forum is hardly place to be. I never expected us to win against WI and England as the team hardly showed any sense of team play in 4 matches they had before reaching the super 8.

4. If Dravid can handle the pressure of Twenty20, why is he not playing for the national team? FYI, Yuvraj has played so many test matches and has a few hundreds in test cricket. He can withstand the pressure of test cricket. His problem is his technique which is not suited for test cricket.

The selectors have a thing for not selecting players above 30, only Sachin and Zaheer are exceptions. Even Sachin has it in him to withstand the pressure of Twenty20 cricket.

The reason the convicts is okay is because The Ashes is the oldest and biggest rivalry in cricket and many of the stereotypes and banter that exists today is simply an outgrowth of that. I think I'd struggle to find an Australian take offense to the term "convict" in the middle of an Ashes discussion. In contrast, if I went up to a random in Australia and called him a convict with no context whatsoever, I'd probably get my face bashed in and create headlines in the 45 news channels in India. :p

Effigy burning, in contrast, is something that has only been around for about 5-10 years. There has been the odd incident at Eden Gardens where crazy supporters have burnt a whole stand down when India was losing. Perhaps in time it will be okay, but right now the tone it is presented in appears to be to put down the country, especially if it is provided in a context where other social issues are ridiculed.

Okay, I now understand that. What about my latter example (which i apologize, i edited my post obviously after you replied) in relation to petty insults and how some are tolerated, and some not.

Also I'd like to include to any Indian members reading this discussion. I do not have anything against India, or Indian people. I have traveled to India, even though its not my taste, I love the different culture and think the people are amongst the nicest human beings there are. For example, I go to University with some Indian students, and some of them are very good friends of mine.

Also, I think its important that issues such as this are discussed maturely in an open forum, instead of via PM, so younger and confused members can learn to understand the racial differences. I remember when i first joined Planetcricket, I was a ignorant 16/17 year old who thought he knew everything about the world, and often subtly put down other cultures based on my arrogance.

Threads like these could help people to understand, therefore fixing any old rifts between nations because of past incidents, and could slowly enhance some learning and reduce major fights such and the India in Australia debacle

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
Whenever India looses big time this forum is hardly place to be. I never expected us to win against WI and England as the team hardly showed any sense of team play in 4 matches they had before reaching the super 8.

I'm pretty sure I could find a quote where you said India will beat the West Indies easily :p

The reason the convicts is okay is because The Ashes is the oldest and biggest rivalry in cricket and many of the stereotypes and banter that exists today is simply an outgrowth of that. I think I'd struggle to find an Australian take offense to the term "convict" in the middle of an Ashes discussion.

The whole 'convict' thing doesn't actually stem from cricket at all really, it comes from the fact the english used to send all the prisoners on a ship down to Australia hence why they get the name convicts.

The whole 'convict' thing doesn't actually stem from cricket at all really, it comes from the fact the english used to send all the prisoners on a ship down to Australia hence why they get the name convicts.
I know the history behind the term convict. However, the fact is that The Ashes rivalry is more than 100 years old, and the term convict has made its way into the standard banter associated with The Ashes.

I don't blame some Indians for finding offense with terms such as 'curry-muncher' seeing as they are on less than amicable terms with Western-cricket followers and it might be construed as something more vicious than it really is. We can call Australians convicts partly because it's true and because it's friendly banter.

However, Indians, similarly can't start using the term 'Monkey' and blame it on social ignorance.

Okay, I now understand that. What about my latter example (which i apologize, i edited my post obviously after you replied) in relation to petty insults and how some are tolerated, and some not.

Also I'd like to include to any Indian members reading this discussion. I do not have anything against India, or Indian people. I have traveled to India, even though its not my taste, I love the different culture and think the people are amongst the nicest human beings there are. For example, I go to University with some Indian students, and some of them are very good friends of mine.

Also, I think its important that issues such as this are discussed maturely in an open forum, instead of via PM, so younger and confused members can learn to understand the racial differences. I remember when i first joined Planetcricket, I was a ignorant 16/17 year old who thought he knew everything about the world, and often subtly put down other cultures based on my arrogance.

Threads like these could help people to understand, therefore fixing any old rifts between nations because of past incidents, and could slowly enhance some learning and reduce major fights such and the India in Australia debacle

Just my 2 cents :)

now thats much more matured and sensible !! ;)

I just want to add one small thing to this discussion. I'm quoting a post orginally posted in the Ind-Eng thread (just one post), where apparently there are some examples/quotes of Indian arrogance mostly taken from this particular thread. I couldn't give my reaction at the time when this was posted, as I was not active here.

HAHAHAH! You have picked two of my posts, OMFGTOOOLFORTEHWINNNN... UV KING OF SIXERS KING OF T20 KING OF CAUSING 5 WIDES KING OF BEING STUMPED KING OF BACK PAIN...Oh i could go on!

Here is some lovely Indian arrogance for you

Now we'll have to add something more to this "UV...!" phrase.

UV!! KING OF SIXERS!! KING OF HATTRICKS!! KING OF HAIR-CUTS!! KING OF STYLE!! KING OF T-20!!! sIMPLY rOCKS!!

Yup, that's our "UV..!!"

Mate, can cheering for our favourite cricketer and giving him a nickname be regarded as arrogance? Posting something light about Yuvraj's haircut- can this make any post arrogant? Well, maybe you got this wrong. Don't know.

Captain Cool is so confident that we're going to keep the Trophy that he's already posing with it.

Emm...this being regarded as "arrogance" sounds a bit silly, posting something light-hearted about Dhoni- arrogant? Alright, I'm giving you this.

Just waiting to see the trophy in the Deep BLue Jerseys.....Ye Cup kahi nahi jayega!!!!!

Saying we want India to win the Cup- how can this mean anything rude? Doesn't he have the right to cheer for his home team? This is a "cheer" mate, not anything else.

^ Dhoni will, don't worry. Yesterday was just a bad day. He will probably take one/two overs to settle down, then he will start whacking. That's what he usually does in both ODIs and T-20s.

King Cricket added 0 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

BTW, hey guys, tomorrow, Stuey Broad, UV!!.......what do you think?

Again, I don't get you. Saying I'm curious to know what will happen when Broad and Yuvraj will again face each other.., how can this be any example of ..? Kinda weird.

i guess broads hands would be shaking when he comes in to bowl to yuvraj

I don't think he's trying to mean anything rude here, still, I'll give you this as well.

I have strong feelings that history will repeat as in prev. T20 WC also India lost their 1st match in Super 8 and their next match was with England and South Africa with do or die situation. Here is also India's next match is with England and South Africa with do or die situatuion. And in prev WC also SA were strongest team who doesn't loose even a single match and here also they are the strongest team who dosn't have loose any match. I hope my prediction comes true.

No offence, mate, but doesn't calling this post "arrogant" sound really silly? You judge it yourself. What "arrogant" thing has he mentioned here? Might you point it out?

At the end, I can conclude that you are mixing "cheers" and "supports" with arrogance. If we go like that, then 60 percent of the posts in any match thread are arrogant.

Last edited:
I know the history behind the term convict. However, the fact is that The Ashes rivalry is more than 100 years old, and the term convict has made its way into the standard banter associated with The Ashes.

Sorry you just made it sound like you thought that the term 'convict' was actually derived from the Ashes.

holdenator added 6 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

I just want to add one small thing to this discussion. I'm quoting a post orginally posted in the Ind-Eng thread (just one post), where apparently there are some examples/quotes of Indian arrogance mostly taken from this particular thread. I couldn't give my reaction at the time when this was posted, as I was not active here.

Mate, can cheering for our favourite cricketer and giving him a nickname be regarded as arrogance? Posting something light about Yuvraj's haircut- can this make any post arrogant? Well, maybe you got this wrong. Don't know.

Emm...this being regarded as "arrogance" sounds a bit silly, posting something light-hearted about Dhoni- arrogant? Alright, I'm giving you this.

Saying we want India to win the Cup- how can this mean anything rude? Doesn't he have the right to cheer for his home team? This is a "cheer" mate, not anything else.

No, because actually what Shub is saying is that he knows the the cup will be back in his hands. When he says he can't wait to see them lift the trophy he is disregardding all the other teams.

Again, I don't get you. Saying I'm curious to know what will happen when Broad and Yuvraj will again face each other.., how can this be any example of ..? Kinda weird.

No because you said it in a piss take way, as if I was to say, 'HAHAH hey guys, when Yuvraj comes into bat and Foster is keeping do you reckon he will stand so far back in his crease so he wont be stumped' Its the same principle.

I don't think he's trying to mean anything rude here, still, I'll give you this as well.

No offence, mate, but doesn't calling this post "arrogant" sound really silly? You judge it yourself. What "arrogant" thing has he mentioned here? Might you point it out?

At the end, I can conclude that you are mixing "cheers" and "supports" with arrogance. If we go like that, then 60 percent of the posts in any match thread are arrogant.

Answered the two I completely disagree with.

Users who are viewing this thread