Indian Domestic Cricket

Is this being shown on Sky Sports again? I remember watching it last year, was very good.

Is this being shown on Sky Sports again? I remember watching it last year, was very good.

No, I don't think it is. It is not there on the website as a listed fixture. 'Tis a shame since I was looking forward to watching it.

Aye. I found it something really interesting to watch. See the next generations of the other test playing nations. but ahh well.

Rather than the altitude, the length affects the speed gun reading. The speed gun reads only the horizontal velocity. As the horizontal velocity is greater for a pitched up delivery than a short pitched one, the speed gun will give a higher reading for the pitched up delivery.

A bouncer maybe delivered with far greater velocity, but a good proportion of this will form the vertical component. The speed gun measures only the horizontal component, and hence the ball is shown to be a lot slower than it actually is.

Hence grossly, all speed gun readings that we see during cricket broadcast is inaccurate. The absolute value is wrong, but it is an effective tool for comparison.
Hmm... I was not aware that speed guns only used the horizontal component of velocity.

Challenger Trophy Squads

India Red
Gautam Gambhir (Delhi), Ravneet Ricky (Punjab), Mohammad Kaif (c, UP), Subramaniam Badrinath (TN), Virat Kohli (Delhi), Karan Goel (Punjab), Mahesh Rawat (wk, Railways), , Praveen Kumar (UP), Pragyan Ojha (Hyderabad), Siddarth Trivedi (Gujarat), Ishant Sharma (Delhi)

India Blue
Virender Sehwag (c, Delhi), Ajinkya Rahane (Mumbai), Dinesh Karthik (wk, TN), Suresh Raina (UP), Niraj Patel (Gujarat), Arjun Yadav (Hyderabad), Joginder Sharma (Haryana), Ramesh Powar (Mumbai), Amit Mishra (Haryana), Yo Mahesh (TN), Ranadeb Bose (Bengal)

India Green
Cheteshwar Pujara (Saurashtra), Srikkanth Anirudha (TN), Parthiv Patel (c, wk, Gujarat), Rohit Sharma (Mumbai), Manoj Tiwary (Bengal), Yusuf Pathan (Baroda), Abhishek Nayar (Mumbai), Pankaj Singh (Rajasthan), Murali Kartik (Railways), Gagandeep Singh (Punjab), Munaf Patel (Maharashtra)

I am not really a huge fan of the squads, would have liked to see more internationals there to raise the standard of competition but I guess the first team need a rest after seven consecutive ODIs.

India Red

Kaif is a good captain and despite poor India A showings, I think he has a fair amount of talent with the bat as a lower order hitter and fielder in a Jonty Rhodes esque position. Badrinath seems a promising prospect, with years of good domestic showings and India A showings. Gambhir will look to continue on his twenty20 form but a) will he be fit and b) is his style right for ODIs? I am happy to see Praveen Kumar there. Not only did he spearhead the bowling for India A in the Tri Series, but he opened and topped the run scoring at a brilliant strike rate. Ravneet Ricky has a good List A average of 38.84 over 33 innings so I guess he is due a go. Pragyan Ojha is a promising spinner and Ishant, an infinately promising tall pace bowler.

India Blue

Sehwag is a captain rated in high esteem and if he finds form could be the most destructive ODI player in the world. I hope he does well but with an ODI average of 31.61, consistancy is not his speciality. Dinesh Karthik is a fine keeper who I am sure will do well with bat and gloves - but I am not sure his batting is quite up to ODI standards. I have always rated Raina and hope he earns a recall, his fielding is above that of any Indian fielder and his Indian Domestic one day average is over 60, hopefully he can soon translate it into ODI cricket. I am happy Bose is selected as he seems to have the best List A record for any bowler in India. The addition of Ramesh Powar will make the team have two international standard batsmen and bowlers; could be a dangerous team.

India Green

Parthiv Patel's fantastic FC form will hopefully translate into one day cricket but I am not sure it will; he has always been weaker in 50 over cricket. He is not the most flash of keepers either but obviously, they wish to give him a chance. Pujara has been distinctly unimpressive for India A but the selectors wish to persevere with him, not sure about that. However, it gets better. Rohit Sharma looks a great player with a fine technique who has performed well in U19 cricket. Manoj Tiwary is coming off the back of a fantastic Ranji Trophy (last year) but, again, is he a one day player (List A average = 34.55). A handy bowler and very hard hitting batsman, Yusuf Pathan looks to be a great prospect too. Many unknowns in the team but the bowling seems strong too. Pankaj Singh has opened the bowling often for India A but I know not much about him. Munaf Patel is...well...Munaf Patel, could be the bowler who was dropped after two ODIs in England or the one who averaged under 23 and went for under five an over throughout the 2006/7 season which contained many ODIs all over the world. Gagandeep Singh's opportunity has not come a moment too soon, he goes for 3.76 an over in List A cricket which is extraordinary these days; especially in India (yes, I know his home is a greentop but he still has to play half of his games away).

I think the three teams are distinctly even and this was obviously the aim of the BCCI but I feel there are too many unknowns and people who have done okay in the low standard of Indian domestic cricket there. A lot of spinners there but not happy about the lack of VRV Singh who I rate highly or other promising pace bowlers (if any...).

Honestly, I wish we stopped persisting with Sehwag as an ODI player and instead looked at him for the longer version--where he has been far more successful. He should play competitions like this, but OD performance should not be his ticket back to the national team.

Honestly, I wish we stopped persisting with Sehwag as an ODI player and instead looked at him for the longer version--where he has been far more successful. He should play competitions like this, but OD performance should not be his ticket back to the national team.

I could not agree more.

May be true. I never agreed with this before, but now I have started feeling that Sehwag can be useful for us in the test matches. But he can come back into the ODI's too given good decent performances. He has become fitter than ever, and seems to be wiser from the past.

I just feel he tries to score too fast in ODI's and ends up losing his wicket. Otherwise he tries to score too defensively and ends up losing his wicket. In test matches the fields would suit his game much more and I think there wouldn't be as much of a pressure to score.

Is there a particular reason why Robin Uthappa isn't in one of the squads?

Is it because he plays for India more often now?

Is there a particular reason why Robin Uthappa isn't in one of the squads?

Is it because he plays for India more often now?
He may be involved in the India-Pakistan tour at that point. I'm not sure. I guess the selectors also consider him a regular in the ODI squad, and perhaps the Challenger Trophy is used to give upcoming players a chance to show their worth. Although the seniors did play it last year (and I believe Sachin was outdone by a Piyush googly).

He may be involved in the India-Pakistan tour at that point. I'm not sure. I guess the selectors also consider him a regular in the ODI squad, and perhaps the Challenger Trophy is used to give upcoming players a chance to show their worth. Although the seniors did play it last year (and I believe Sachin was outdone by a Piyush googly).

I think that was two years ago. Last year he absolutely ripped Piyush apart.

Users who are viewing this thread