Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'd have started Moeen Ali over Rachin in the first game. But seeing how the latter has picked up and performed, I feel there's no space for Moeen now. Mitchell is very crucial because he's been one of the best all-format players of the last few years (Definitely a better batter than Moeen). So Moeen can only come in through a bowling role (where again, Santa and Theekshana will trump him)

I would have surely gone Nabi over Mulani and Madhwal for Maphaka. But it was good that they backed the 17 yo guy cause dropping after one game would be an ugly dent of confidence for someone that young. But I feel Nabi has got to play somewhere. MI shouldn't really be needing to play 3 overseas pacers at any time with Bumrah and Madhwal already in. So it's either Brevis or Nabi- and the former doesn't fit in the template once SKY is back. And don't forget- MI's spin attack is over-reliant on Chawla. Mohammad Nabi solves a lot of issues here.

The impact rule strategy was very nice. RR did a good one too first game. Batting first, still played Ash at 7. Would bring in Rovman if the batting collapsed or didn't kick on. But if it did (which it did) then no need of Powell in the middle. Bring Burger in the bowling attack and have 6 options.

Makes me realise Impact sub isn't just playing a defined set of 12 players- a random batsman being subbed out while bowling and the worst batsman being subbed out while batting- which is what I always made of it. But teams can just pick a XI of players with enough batting and bowling options and have both a batting and bowling impact sub option, which they can use based on situation- batter if the team collapses and needs runs, bowlers if you wanna have options in the attack. CSK with their deep batting and bowling depth can afford to easily use this tactic.

I doubt Mo would have been preferred over Rachin at any point due to the different roles they play. CSK are quite stubborn over their roles and combinations to the point of sticking to them at all costs until they're forced to adapt but once they do make an adaptation they rarely go back to what they previously preferred. It makes them look like a tactical dinosaurs but I believe they're quite flexible and creative, they're just not as open with their plans as some of the other teams. My theory is that Rachin was bought primarily because Fleming realised (or was told discreetly) that Conway wasn't in good touch and they might need an alternative for the opening role. It would allow them to have a backup to Conway (I doubt they would have wanted to actually replace him though, he would have likely played almost all of the games and played a few as the keeper to give Dhoni some rest) and have a look at a very promising player who was likely to be undervalued due to his base T20 stats and decide if he's worth a cheap retention next year... but fate took a different turn and now CSK may have to pay a premium to retain Rachin. I would still do it because he's really, really good. Mo's unlikely to be picked for his bowling either even if he's been quite valuable with it, gotta agree with that. I think his role at the moment is to be the alternate spin basher or an extra one depending on how the rest of the campaign goes by.

I don't rate Nabi too highly but at this point I can see why he would be valuable if only to provide an extra spin option. Was surprised it took them so long to bring Madhwal in despite him playing well last season; on the same note what happened to Wadhera? Is he injured or did he have a poor SMAT?

I do like the more creative solutions teams are looking for with the impact sub this season compared to last even if the majority have preferred to do it the dull way. I can't fault them for doing it, the impact sub gives you an all-rounder that can average in the high twenties with the bat and in the mid twenties with the ball as the worst case while being an upgrade on the fielding side on paper. If such a player were to exist in the auction they would be the most expensive player. I do think a few teams are realising that such an option may not always be the best one even if it's fairly simple to use and the flexibility that can be extracted from it with the examples we've provided can be better on a game by game basis even if the stats don't outline that. I would like to see what sort of a squad teams can build with this rule in mind in the upcoming mega-auction since they would have all realised the benefits of it.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
I don't rate Nabi too highly but at this point I can see why he would be valuable if only to provide an extra spin option. Was surprised it took them so long to bring Madhwal in despite him playing well last season; on the same note what happened to Wadhera? Is he injured or did he have a poor SMAT?

Nabi is not the best buy MI could've done for that role but he's what they have. And after all their premium pacers got replaced by subpar ones (No offence to Maphaka and Wood, but its a downgrade from Dilshan and Behrendorff), Nabi is definitely a better pick. Plus like I said, MI don't have to play 3 OS pacers now. Madhwal came in this late only cause they went for Mulani as 2nd spinner (Indian) enabling an overseas pacer to start over him. Imo Madhwal, Bumrah and 2 OS pacers, Then Chawla and Nabi will be their best possible attack.

It seems that Naman Dhir has directly replaced Wadhera's role for some reason. Probably impressed in nets and practice. Wadhera's chances of playing will deteriorate even more when SKY returns. I don't get why MI groomed Wadhera last year and now suddenly moved on to Dhir. They are probably testing options for their future retentions. But I hope next year if it's not a mega auction, they don't again move on from Naman and play a new buy from the next mini auction.

I would like to see what sort of a squad teams can build with this rule in mind in the upcoming mega-auction since they would have all realised the benefits of it.

Tbf I felt RR actually made purchases in this mini auction with the impact player rule in mind. They needed a No. 7 replacement for Holder who could bowl- but they spent that on Powell who is a batter who seldom bowls. But Impact rule enables them to play a Top 7 of Jos, Jaiswal, Sanju, Parag, Powell, Hetmyer, Jurel in the batting innings and sub one guy out for an Indian pacer. But what they have actually done , like I said , is use it on situational basis. They somehow trust Ashwin at 7- which is something I didn't really think they would do when I thought of that strategy I mentioned here.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
I don’t think United fans were openly hostile towards Pogba from day one where as with Hardik…

It’s becoming extremely daft now, I’m seeing false equivalences with footballers being booed and whatnot to justify Hardik’s reception. There’s also criticism no matter what Hardik does and it’s clearly affecting him at least if not the team as a whole. Doesn’t help that none of the parties involved have handled this from the start in a good manner.
I just mentioned in terms of performance and result, once the team starts winning, it will shut the negativity.

I hope Nabi & Thushara will play the next game, Nabi's off spin will also be very handy. Nabi is also good player of spin and we have seen his performance with bat in recent Ind vs Afg.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Look forward to seeing Mayank Yadav playing in Australia later this year
Like Bumrah, he should be fast tracked. He looks like a very special talent. If only we had a better bowling coach like Bharat Arun.

Bevab

Staff Member
Look forward to seeing Mayank Yadav playing in Australia later this year

The real worry is that he missed nearly an entire domestic season due to injury and has only one FC game under his belt but his action looks really good so I hope he doesn’t have too many issues in the future.

Like Bumrah, he should be fast tracked. He looks like a very special talent. If only we had a better bowling coach like Bharat Arun.

I think Bumrah’s a real strategist, not just with the way he sets batters up or executes his plans but also in the way he knows himself and his bowling action. It would explain how he’s remained remarkably fit for someone with an action that looks awkward and hasn’t yet disintegrated despite the NCA’s best attempts to.

It remains to be seen if Mayank is in a similar vein.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Finally happy to see Sid getting chances in IPL and performing well, I went crazy when he got King's wicket, hope he'll continue to shine. His numbers so far are toooo good.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
I just mentioned in terms of performance and result, once the team starts winning, it will shut the negativity.

I hope Nabi & Thushara will play the next game, Nabi's off spin will also be very handy. Nabi is also good player of spin and we have seen his performance with bat in recent Ind vs Afg.
Bro aren't you a CSK fan from Chennai what the hell happened :crying:

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Bro aren't you a CSK fan from Chennai what the hell happened :crying:
I am MI fan, started supporting CSK for one month after the captaincy issue, even in the first match I was not able to support CSK for first few overs, it felt like I am not supporting my favourite team, thus within few overs of opening match, started supporting MI again no matter who is captain and what is the result :D and I don't want to speak again about politics in TN cricket done by srini mama.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Narine finally repaying debts for KKR management's undying trust in him. Those are some serious shots!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
The pitch and ground is batting friendly but my god Pant is a horrible captain.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
SRH score in jeopardy?