International Cricket 2010 - Common Questions and Answers

Why are there fielding restrictions in a test match?
I'd say you're looking too much in to it. You're not getting the option to turn it off because there's nothing to turn off - the non restricted restrictions are on.

Fielding restrictions in a test presumeably refers to 2 behind square on the legside as was changed after bodyline.

Fair enough but I don't see any difference between the restricted field placings for Twenty20 and ODI's. Surely that's not right?

But when the powerplays and restrictions are lifted AI or myself can place as many fielders around the shop they like in Twenty20's and ODI's. Now you see that the field settings are a maximum of two outside the circle at any given moment during the whole of a test match. That is not right....

Now you see that the field settings are a maximum of two outside the circle at any given moment during the whole of a test match. That is not right....

What do you mean? Those aren't test field restrictions. The only restrictions, which apply throughout the innings, are the ones I mentioned already.

You could have all 9 fielders on the ropes in a Test. Like Colin said, the only restriction at all in Test cricket is the limit on 2 behind square leg.

You could have all 9 fielders on the ropes in a Test. Like Colin said, the only restriction at all in Test cricket is the limit on 2 behind square leg.

My point exactly...you can't. The field placings are restricted but it is a test match. When you go to setup a test it says fielding restrictions on and you cant change it.....

Wow, havent checked myself but that is a MAJOR oversight

Yeah it is mad. Say you want to set a defensive field with lots of folk on the boundary. You can't, even with custom field placings!:facepalm

:eek:
How? I can't! When you set up a test can you choose to have restrictions on or off???

Maybe you are putting more than 5 fielders on the leg side. There are still a few restrictions in Tests, especially not more than 2 behind square on the leg and not more than 5 on the leg side.

Users who are viewing this thread