IPL-Nothing more then another Rebel League

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
I will probably be bashed by many Indians (and others), but here it goes.

The IPL is NOT an indicative measure for form in International T20s, ODIs, or Tests.

THe IPL is just a bollywood-like cartoon show, much like Maggi Noodles (and I have heard this phrase somewhere, I just forget where).

Bopara is only saying the IPL helped him is because he wants to please his employers, sir Lalit Modi and co. Intelligent man, Modi, no doubt about that. Only for his benefit though, banning the ICL? Modi knows alot about banned items / groups / substances. Wheres the cocaine Modi? Sell those drugs :)

Anyway, the IPL did not help Bopara in his form, maybe keeping fit, etc, sure prehaps it did. But to say the IPL gave Bopara the batting form to score a test 100? No, thats not the IPL's doing. Thats Bopara's work in the nets and preparation for the series. Or its just luck :p

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ah, now the fun starts... Bravo playing the IPL inspite of West Indies playing international cricket. Gayle announcing that he prefers T20 to the tests!

If test cricket survives only if it gets as much crowd as the T20's, then its on an uncurable death bed. Either they let it go or they change their perception of what needs to happen for test cricket to be considered successful. Attendances are going to go down, players are going to chose the lucrative formats. They cant be blamed. Its their right. The boards have to reduce the amount of international cricket, make test cricket more exciting (those die hard test cricket fans who dont want test cricket to be changed, you guys have to give up definitely!).

Those who blame Bravo and Gayle are just plain STUPID!

King Cricket

International Coach
THe IPL is just a bollywood-like cartoon show, much like Maggi Noodles (and I have heard this phrase somewhere, I just forget where).

Or rather, the IPL is just a form of entertainment where the young Indian players get intl exposure and learn valuable things from world famous cricketing greats. :rolleyes: Really..

Highlander999

ICC President
Look, I am going to report you if you are hell bent on baiting some reply from me. Because I never said playing IPL is excellent preparation for test cricket. I just said Ravi Bopara, the horse himself, subscribed to the idealogy that T20 cricket helps preparing for T20 cricket. Whether I agree with that or not, is not relevant. So you are barking up the wrong tree. Oh, if you really want my thoughts on it, Tendulkar said he hardly practises for hours these days in the nets. He merely taps a few here and there, and assures he is having the timing going. So Tendulkar apparently do not subscribe to conditioning oneself to the weather in the country touring. I subscribe to him because he is my god. Whatever be the excuse, ECB just wanted to honor a stupid clause in the agreement and bought in WICB for it. It has no goodwill whatsoever from players who wanted to play in the IPL. (Though I don't think many from WI would really be unhappy, perhaps Edwards and Gayle, and Taylor maybe)

Wow, grow up. How the hell was I baiting you? You said this was organised by the ECB to keep the broadcasters happy. I said it wasn't as England wanted some test match experience for the Ashes. I didn't even mention the IPL in that post. God, knows where you have been coming from with that...

That was between Highlander99 and me. A private joke if you insist. Ok?

It was? Ok...

I'm sorry, I missed the part where I mentioned Bopara in my post Precambrian

I'm looking for it, Kev :cool: :p

Ah, now the fun starts... Bravo playing the IPL inspite of West Indies playing international cricket. Gayle announcing that he prefers T20 to the tests!

If test cricket survives only if it gets as much crowd as the T20's, then its on an uncurable death bed. Either they let it go or they change their perception of what needs to happen for test cricket to be considered successful. Attendances are going to go down, players are going to chose the lucrative formats. They cant be blamed. Its their right. The boards have to reduce the amount of international cricket, make test cricket more exciting (those die hard test cricket fans who dont want test cricket to be changed, you guys have to give up definitely!).

Not really. Many players still consider test cricket bigger than 20/20. The Ashes will never be replaced by 20/20. That is never going to happen. Never. Test cricket is still the pinnacle of cricket, the reason it doesn't get as many spectators, is because it involved a whole day out, and does not keep the wham bam new generation of cricket fans happy, who have the attention span of a goldfish. If Gayle prefers 20/20 that is fine. Maybe, it has something down to him being better at that then test cricket? :rolleyes:

jordox

International Cricketer

I disagree. Bravo is playing for money, instead of helping his country. At the moment, the West Indies are looking like a minnow team and they really need his help. Cricketers get payed enough money as it is. They don't need the extra money the IPL provides, all they do is play cricket. Their salary for their national teams is enough taking into consideration of what they actually do.

I have no problem with them playing in the IPL for the money, but when they are playing the IPL instead of playing for their nation, I think that is pretty wrong.

As for Gayle, he hasn't done anything to tick me off. Yet.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Bravo would have been in England if he was picked. He wasn't. Hes not picking the IPL over his country. He certainly didn't turn down West Indies to play for Mumbai!

jordox

International Cricketer
Bravo would have been in England if he was picked. He wasn't. Hes not picking the IPL over his country. He certainly didn't turn down West Indies to play for Mumbai!

Ah okay, my mistake.

King Cricket

International Coach

Well he said WICB that he is injured. Bravo doesn't really look injured in my eyes.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
There's a difference being fit to slog and bowl 4 overs and playing a 5 day Test. Hes not had enough 4 day cricket and hes not seen as fit enough to play Test cricket. The Windies selectors could have picked him as a pure batter, but they didn't and thats their choice, not Bravo's.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Or rather, the IPL is just a form of entertainment where the young Indian players get intl exposure and learn valuable things from world famous cricketing greats. :rolleyes: Really..
Is County Cricket a form of international exposure, even with 2 internationals per county side (old rule)?

Not really, and the same goes for this piece of bollywood infested crap. I want to watch cricket, not watch bollywood stars promote their latest movie.

Yeah, the young Indian future stars are going to learn things in the KKR dressing room... right?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Is County Cricket a form of international exposure, even with 2 internationals per county side (old rule)?

Not really, and the same goes for this piece of bollywood infested crap. I want to watch cricket, not watch bollywood stars promote their latest movie.

Yeah, the young Indian future stars are going to learn things in the KKR dressing room... right?

You think they wont?? its good exposure to them of what makes up a divided dressing room atmosphere. In future if they encounter such atmosphere, they could react better.

Bollywood stars promoting their latest films? Where? I havent seen Shahrukh Khan or Preity Zinta or Shilpa Shetty talk about their films or hold placard about their films, etc. Where did you get that?

saisrini80 added 3 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

I disagree. Bravo is playing for money, instead of helping his country. At the moment, the West Indies are looking like a minnow team and they really need his help. Cricketers get payed enough money as it is. They don't need the extra money the IPL provides, all they do is play cricket. Their salary for their national teams is enough taking into consideration of what they actually do.

I have no problem with them playing in the IPL for the money, but when they are playing the IPL instead of playing for their nation, I think that is pretty wrong.

As for Gayle, he hasn't done anything to tick me off. Yet.

As an average human being, you would definitely go where the big bucks are. Its natural human tendency to go that way. This is not the army where you have to serve the nation if the need arises. This is just a sport where two institutions from each country earn money by letting players from their respective countries clash with each other. All this "national pride" thing was created by the fans out of their love for the game. If India loses to Australia or any country, no one in India is physically hurt. Some may be mentally hurt but they could have avoided it by not placing too much importance on the game.

Even if Bravo went for the IPL for money, he cant be blamed. The respective home board is to be blamed for creating that situation where Bravo choses country over bigger money.

jordox

International Cricketer
As an average human being, you would definitely go where the big bucks are. Its natural human tendency to go that way. This is not the army where you have to serve the nation if the need arises. This is just a sport where two institutions from each country earn money by letting players from their respective countries clash with each other. All this "national pride" thing was created by the fans out of their love for the game. If India loses to Australia or any country, no one in India is physically hurt. Some may be mentally hurt but they could have avoided it by not placing too much importance on the game.

Very fair point Sai.

However, the point I was making is that cricketers don't need the extra money. All they do is play cricket. They aren't doctors or lawyers, they are just blessed with talent.

The salary players get for playing for their country is enough. They shouldn't need to look to the IPL in place of their country (which as Dan informed me, didn't actually happen in Bravo's case).

Whether or not you buy into the whole "National pride" thing (which I honestly don't) the fact remains is that people represent their country through cricket. They are ambassadors. Yes, it's only a sport but many members of the public live and breathe cricket. When your national team looses, you get an array of emotions. Playing for your country does mean something, and it means a hell of a lot more than playing for some foreign franchise team.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
can you first justify your comment by telling us how exactly this league is a REBEL league?
it really made people like yusuf pathan,shaun marsh,yusuf abdulla,etc.
so,its good for both indian cricketers aswell as the overseas players both financially and professionally.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
that's right! and more over,no bollywood star promoted any of his/her movies this season!
support your comments with an evidence please and try not to take out your frustrations on IPL.
i thoroughly enjoyed IPL season 2 so far despite one of my favourite teams sitting at the bottom of the table.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread