Do you find the word monkey offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • It matters how its used

Votes: 38 44.2%

• Total voters
It is quite the development if you ask me - it went from he said nothing, to he said monkey but monkey isn't offensive, to he said something that sounds like monkey that is offensive, but not racially offensive. Would take one heck of a lawyer to pick any holes in the indian defense....not. So to make it more in line with the title of the thread, it seems that even the indians now accept that monkey is offensive. By the way, what's a flame bot?
The highlighted development occurred in your head. If there was conclusive proof that Harbhajan said monkey, you would see many Indians (or at least the more serious cricket posters), including myself, condemning him.

As much as I think sometimes the Aussies tinker on the edge of sportsmanship I don't think they'd make something as serious as this up.

Depends on how you use the word. If you tell your brother "You little monkey look what you have done" that's not offensive, but if you say "Your mother is a big black monkey" that's offensive.

I've got a question.

A lot of Indian members on this forum have stated that the word '*******' is deemed very offensive in India. Is it because it's not only a slate on the person but also their parents and, more specifically, their mother?

Now, if that's why, if Harbajan Singh did make an insult towards Symonds' mother, shouldn't that be seen as more offensive than the word 'monkey' and worthy of a reprimand, especially since Brad Hogg has got himself in trouble for using the word '*******'?

That's a good question. The point here is there are all sorts of insults that are used in sledging, especially by the Aussies. Indians are pissed off because they feel that the Aussies found one word that may/maynot be racist and got Bhaji banned, while the Aussies themselves regularly use gay, sexual, mother/sister/wife related slurs.

Racism is worng, but that's not the only thing banned by the ICC. In fact, the ICC code of conduct Sec 3.3, prohibits a player from "offending another person on the basis of that person's race, religion, gender, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin"

B@stard - in a literal sense would fall under the "descent" clause. Now can you imagine if cricketers started dobbing in players for words that could be interpreted to fall under one of these clauses? Say something about Bhaji's turban and boom - you insult his religion. Say something about curry - you insult a person's national origin. Say something about someone's manhood and you question the gender.

That is why Ponting's dobbing in of Bhaji is a disaster for cricket and sets a dangerous precedent. If the ban stands, it would lead to a wave of dob ins by frustrated opposition, which ironically will come to haunt Aussies because they don't have to resort to these tactics to win. It is the less taletned teams that will use this as another tool in gamesmanship. All you need to do is to find an Aussie player, provoke him (remember McGrath and his wife) and get him to say something that would lead to a ban.

Do we really want this? Racism is wrong but all other -isms are going on on the field and do we want players dobbing in their rivals?

Just leave it on the field and continue playing.

I've got a question.

A lot of Indian members on this forum have stated that the word '*******' is deemed very offensive in India. Is it because it's not only a slate on the person but also their parents and, more specifically, their mother?

Now, if that's why, if Harbajan Singh did make an insult towards Symonds' mother, shouldn't that be seen as more offensive than the word 'monkey' and worthy of a reprimand, especially since Brad Hogg has got himself in trouble for using the word '*******'?

you see harbhajan and other Indian cricketers dont speak up until and unless the situation is out of control ..................there must have been some words from Symonds too.

and we all know that symonds is a popular player in the field of sledging..

you see harbhajan and other Indian cricketers dont speak up until and unless the situation is out of control ..................there must have been some words from Symonds too.

and we all know that symonds is a popular player in the field of sledging..

I thought you left?

Users who are viewing this thread