I've finally got it! BUT... (PC version)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
...naturally, there's a problem.

With the demo, the game ran beautifully. There was some stuttering for some reason when the coin toss was happening, but other than that, smooth as silk.

The full game arrived this morning and when batting or bowling, it's fine, but as soon as it zooms out to the outfield to track the ball going for a boundary, it stutters and stutters a lot. Now, Codies seem to make a habit of this, the exact same thing happened in DiRT - smooth as you like in the demo, but plenty of stuttering in the full game.

For what it's worth, it seems to be much better than the demo. I played and missed a few times with defensive shots (hard difficulty), one of which resulted in losing my off stump; that never happened in the demo.

I'm very much looking forwards to posting my first impressions and review, but I could do with the game running more smoothly, especially in the outfield. As I said before, it ran fine with the demo. I tried turning off special effects and that didn't work. Before having to turn down the resolution or detail (something I really wasn't expecting to even have to contemplate), I'd be grateful if someone here can help.

As usual, my specs are in my sig.

If/when this is sorted out, I'll post an in depth review in a few days. :)

what about load times?

The load times in the full game are exponentially higher than the demo.... I just sit around and look at the loading screen for a few minutes, and its also prone to sudden freezes for a few seconds while going through the menu items....

I have a X2 4200+ with 4GB RAM and 7900GS

what about load times?

The load times in the full game are exponentially higher than the demo.... I just sit around and look at the loading screen for a few minutes, and its also prone to sudden freezes for a few seconds while going through the menu items....

Yeah i have the same problem :crying sometimes think it wont load at all...then 5mins later it works!!

There are a lot of menu hangs and lockups. On the Windows performance index I get a 6.5 and this game apparently needs 3.2 yet I get the long load times and hangs.

what about load times?

Agreed, the loading times are ridiculous.

Can't see why it's doing that. What res and detail are you running it at?

1440 x 900 res and highest detail - as I was in the demo, where it ran beautifully!

@Barmyarmy - I installed it on the old HDD D:\partition, which is almost full up now (but there's still 19% left and you only need 15% before it affects slowdown and stuff). Would installing it on the new, empty 500gb 32mb cache drive help at all?

Load times are awful for me two and that's running in RAID1 with reasonably fast drives so its getting stuck somewhere else. I have had stuttering on menus but not in the outfield.... yet.

Even at the end of the over, when the scoreboard etc slide onto the screen, it's running worse than the demo.

I'm going to try defragging my HDD, but I've played games before when I hadn't done that for a while and they were fine. It's worth a try though.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try installing it on the new HDD.

Is this a common issue with people? If so, it needs to go on the top of the 'patch' list.

Agreed, the loading times are ridiculous.

1440 x 900 res and highest detail - as I was in the demo, where it ran beautifully!

@Barmyarmy - I installed it on the old HDD D:\partition, which is almost full up now (but there's still 19% left and you only need 15% before it affects slowdown and stuff). Would installing it on the new, empty 500gb 32mb cache drive help at all?

The same problem but kinda reverse, in the demo for me! I get this ****tering when the bowlers starts to bowl, when the fielder chases the ball, it looks like they've put an ameteurish loop of an animation. *Stuck, play, stuck, play*. Causes a lot of problem. No wrong with my comp's specs. But it just gets ****tery sometimes.

I haven't gone through getting rid of it but try this GameBooster software, It ridiculously speeds up the game's performance. I haven't tried that yet on Ashes Cricket 2009 but it may help you?

KBC. :).

Last edited:
Does the stuttering start when the crowd comes into view? That's what happens to me. Everything else is silky smooth.

Could be. I just tried it with FRAPS - around 30fps when looking at the ordinary game screen, dropping to around 10-12 whenever the outfield comes into view. It's also doing that at the end of overs and whenever the cinematics come up between balls. I might try with medium settings :sarcasm

I waited all this bloody time and now this! :mad:

I will try defragging the HDD, but if that doesn't work, Codemasters are going to get a very unpleasant email.

The infuriating thing is, underneath all this, it looks at least twice as good as the demo!

Defrag doesn't help. I freed up around 20% free space and then defragged it so now I have 0% fragmentation.... but the problem persists.....

its shocking considering there is no 3D involved... I think it might have to do with the video playing in the background.... I tried deleting all the videos, but then the game just got stuck on the first loading screen....

Could be. I just tried it with FRAPS - around 30fps when looking at the ordinary game screen, dropping to around 10-12 whenever the outfield comes into view. It's also doing that at the end of overs and whenever the cinematics come up between balls. I might try with medium settings :sarcasm

I waited all this bloody time and now this! :mad:

I will try defragging the HDD, but if that doesn't work, Codemasters are going to get a very unpleasant email.

The infuriating thing is, underneath all this, it looks at least twice as good as the demo!

Try turning crowd off and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread