Journalism contest - Round 2 - "Cricket: A batsmans' game?"

Choose the second subject to be written about

• "Sporting culture in the UK and Australia. Why do Aussies win all the damn time?"

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • "OD cricket vs FC Cricket"

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • "Do the media have too much influence over team selections"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Diving in Football"

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • "Over-appealing in cricket"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Afridi: Brilliant hitter or mindless idiot?"

• "Cricket: A batsmans' game?"

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • "Andre Nel - love him or hate him? "

• "England's selection policy whilst touring, is it time for a change?"

• "Statistics: the be-all and end-all?"

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • "Twenty20: Good or bad?"

• "Cricket: A gentleman's game?"

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone who wants can enter the next round. I'll tell you who entered this round when the voting has finished :p
I agree with you; the standard was excellent though.

Some very good articles, although a fair few have made some factual errors that slightly bug me. A couple of them ask why Fletcher would drop Jones for Read in the summer if only to reinstate Jones for the Ashes, seemingly oblivious to the fact that for home tests there is a selection committee, and it was that committee that dropped Jones.

Few other things as well, only minor, but bugs me nonetheless :p

Yes, like the person who speculated that the world was created by evolution :p

Or like the person who called Jones,, Papua New Guinean when he's Welsh. Just look in the news today to see Symonds reaction to being called English and you get the problem.

MUFC1987 said:
Or like the person who called Jones,, Papua New Guinean when he's Welsh. Just look in the news today to see Symonds reaction to being called English and you get the problem.
Although that article isn't mine, Geraint Jones is in fact Papa New Guinean. His player profile on Cricket Archive shows he was born in Kundiawa, Papa New Guinea:

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Players/34/34355/34355.html

MUFC1987 said:
Nope Jones is Papa New Guinean, I think his parents are Welsh, and thats how he can play for England.

Excellent standard of articles, was tough to choose who to go for but after detailed reading, I decided who to go for. Well done to all the article writers for writing such good articles.

EDIT: Arggh...you beat me to it Lee. :p

skateboarder said:
Although that article isn't mine, Geraint Jones is in fact Papa New Guinean. His player profile on Cricket Archive shows he was born in Kundiawa, Papa New Guinea:

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Players/34/34355/34355.html

I think he knows that (after all a chimpanzee knows that ;)) and is questioning the technicality of calling someone a nationality even if they were born there.

Can I do a merry jig now :)

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone that voted for me, you're all amazing, and my parents for being there for me they've been amazing. It's just an amazing feeling, to win this amazing competition, I'm amazed at the amazingness of the amazing quality on show. It's just amazing, my computer toytown was amazing, in fact it's amazing how many times I can put the word amazing into one paragraph. Amazing.

Oi Colin, stop pretending you have better things to do and let us know who wrote what ;)

As the more observant of you might have noticed (or those of you who have been checking the poll results every 20 minutes) Puddleduck aka Jeremy is our first winner.
His article about Jones and Read will be posted on the Planetcricket frontpage and he will also receive 1000 vcash and custom usertitle until the winner of competition 2 is decided sometime in January/February.

Puddleduck's article was number 6 and the other articles were written by the following people:

Article 1 - Treva
Article 2 - duded64
Article 3 - barmyarmy
Article 4 - Adarsh
Article 5 - Skateboarder
Article 6 - Puddleduck

I too would like to congratulate all the members who entered on the excellent standard especially bearing in mind that 4 of the 6 members who entered are still at school. We set the bar high and the members who submitted articles responded to that.

Well done to all and nominations for round 2 will open tomorrow.

well done puddle good article, mine was just for fun i didnt really want to win i sware HONEST :p

Cheers Barmy mate, couldn't agree with you more, excellent stuff from all the entries, and unlucky Barmy your article was neck and neck with mine all the way through.

puddleduck said:
Cheers Barmy mate, couldn't agree with you more, excellent stuff from all the entries, and unlucky Barmy your article was neck and neck with mine all the way through.

Even this morning I could have voted for my own to tie it :p

I might give it a shot next round - I think I can do better than those pieces of trash. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread