Kamran Akmal:The Future of Pakistani WicketKeeping?

khan31

International Coach
I myself think he is the worst wicketkeeper to wear the gloves for Pakistan. He can't catch (the whole point of keeping!) and can't bat too well either. I myself would prefer a keeper who never dropped one but averaged 15, rather than a 35 average keeper who drops 2/5 catches. I feel sorry for Pakistani bowlers, especially Kaneria who has too many of his dropped.

He has been criticised by former keepers (Moin Khan,Rashid Latif etc) for having totally incorrect footwork and overall keeping skills. However, the selectors think otherwise and persist with him, even after numerous horrendous matches where he has dropped 3-4 catches and scored less than 10. I can't think of any other keeper who drops as many!

I know there is another keeper, Zulquanain Haider but he wasnt too good either.

So do any of you know of any alternatives to akmal?
Do any of you think he has any talent whatsoever?
Do any of you think he is good enough to keep for Pakistan?

Last edited:
lol i made a thread first.. boo.. :D kidding.. auto-merge

Well when he first got into the side he was great.
Scoring runs and taking catches.
I remember when England were touring Pakistan in 2005 and he made a century in the tests and 2 in the ODI's and he seemed to take all the catches as well. He has certainly lost the plot since then and we will have to see if there is anyone in Pakistan who can take his place.

one of my friend said..giving a catch to kamran akmal..is probally the worst way to get out

Also on cricinfo they once said

"the unluckiest way to get out in cricket today - Caught Akmal."

I agree totally. Its a miracle if he holds onto one.

The only person I know is Sarfraz Ahmed, who looking at his record, is a good keeper and with an FC average of 35 is a decent batsmen.
In a season or two he could be given a go.

He's been out of form for twice as long as Strauss. He's has to go back and work on his game. His confidence is low and someone should tell him to stop screaming when he appeals!

Actually he batted well in the Tests, if I recall, opening the innings with a flourish. Considering that isn't his natural position and Pakistan's opening troubles he did very well.

I remember I got torn to shreads for saying Kamram Akmal was a poor Keeper by the Pakistan fans on here about a year ago. Oh how times change.

Younis is a part time wicketkeeper if im not mistake and he would probably do better than Akmal. and i think Yasi Hameed is too. atleast thats what it says on cricinfo

Younus is such a high quality slip catcher and Pakistan is very short on slip catchers (Inzamam used to be one) so to lose him to keeper would be a big blow especially in test cricket. They seriously need to think about replacing Kamran. If he had caught Kallis today then pakistan could have been chasing 30-50 runs less and would have won the game.

What about Misbah? He is keeper on ICC games :p
I would give Afridi another chance (as Akhtar) in India series (a very big risk with Akmal). But if he keeps on going like this, don't drop him 100%, but bring in a few other guys.

Zulqarnain Haider, most of us know.
Sarfaraz Ahmad (played well for A team, captain of U19 when won last WC)
Adnan Akmal (Kamran Akmal's little brother :p)
Mohammad Salman (another young keeper)

What about Misbah? He is keeper on ICC games :p
I would give Afridi another chance (as Akhtar) in India series (a very big risk with Akmal). But if he keeps on going like this, don't drop him 100%, but bring in a few other guys.

Zulqarnain Haider, most of us know.
Sarfaraz Ahmad (played well for A team, captain of U19 when won last WC)
Adnan Akmal (Kamran Akmal's little brother :p)
Mohammad Salman (another young keeper)

Sarfraz is probably the best choice. Then Mohammad Salman and then Haider.

Well, he has played well to earn a place in the team, and Akmal has played poor enough to be dropped. Do these selectors actually watch the Pakistan matches and check the stats? Or are they just brain dead?

Users who are viewing this thread