Kaneria the entry to spin bowling kings?

YOTC said:
Drewska - You honestly think Giles and Udal are spin kings? They can't even turn the ball :D

I don't recall seeing Drewska say anything of the sort! If you look at the series just gone, he was distinctly average in each innings except the 4th innings' at Multan and Lahore. A very long way to go before he can be considered 'great'

i agree stevie... but they're right England can't really spin. Udal was a tad shocking!!! I say drop spin all together and shove out a strong batting team with vaughn to spin if need be.

I think his real test will be the series v England in the summer. I too do believe he wont be effective outside the subcontinent, though as aussie1st said, he did do pretty well against Australia.

Only time will tell.

stevie said:
I don't recall seeing Drewska say anything of the sort! If you look at the series just gone, he was distinctly average in each innings except the 4th innings' at Multan and Lahore. A very long way to go before he can be considered 'great'

drewska said:
If hes going to become a "Spin king", any international spinner could be.

Yes his record is mainly in the 4th innings for this series but look at his overall record. His tour down under was fantastic, especially when the rest of the team was struggling. To suggest he is just a home bowler is ludicrous.

His average in the first innings is 33. Career of 30. BB 6/42
2nd innings - 41. BB 7/188
3rd innings - 21, BB 7/77
4th innings - 32, BB 5/46

Home Record - 26.70 BB 7/118
Away Record - 31.70, BB 7/77
Neutral Record - 61.85 BB 3/126.

So his 4 matches in the UAE make his stats look worse.

Without the UAE record he average 28.94, anything below 30 seems to be the magic number for bowlers. Remember MacGill averages 28.5.

Can people pick the english bandwagoners and the real cricket fans, the ones who really watch cricket. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

drewska said:
If hes going to become a "Spin king", any international spinner could be.

Doesn't say Giles or Udal directly, they don't really qualify as international spinner's do they... :rolleyes:

YOTC said:
Yes his record is mainly in the 4th innings for this series but look at his overall record. His tour down under was fantastic, especially when the rest of the team was struggling. To suggest he is just a home bowler is ludicrous.

His average in the first innings is 33. Career of 30. BB 6/42
2nd innings - 41. BB 7/188
3rd innings - 21, BB 7/77
4th innings - 32, BB 5/46

Home Record - 26.70 BB 7/118
Away Record - 31.70, BB 7/77
Neutral Record - 61.85 BB 3/126.

So his 4 matches in the UAE make his stats look worse.

Without the UAE record he average 28.94, anything below 30 seems to be the magic number for bowlers. Remember MacGill averages 28.5.

Can people pick the english bandwagoners and the real cricket fans, the ones who really watch cricket. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm not denying he's a very good bowler and could possibly be a great, BUT he still has a long way to go to be even considered with the likes of Warne, Ambrose, O'Reilly, Walsh, McGrath, the great West Indian foursomes of past year's amongst other's. The word great is flung about far too much these day's.

Sureshot said:
Earlier this season for Essex Kaneria bowled about 85 overs without taking a wicket, don't think even Giles would go that long.
Has Giles ever bowled 85 overs in a match?

I didn't mean in a match i meant in a row.

And there are English spinners who spin it, Giles isn't our best, the reason why he plays? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best spinners:

Keedy
Brown
Panesar

Future:

Mark Lawson.

Giles plays because he bowls tightly, and takes a few wickets. Not forgetting he has one of the best pace-attacks in the world with him (When Jones gets back).

He bats and fields well. He was poor in the Pakistan tests because he had an injured hip.

BTW: YOTC, I didn't say anything about Giles and Udal, so don't say I did.

pakistan tout to australlia he is leading wicket taker than shane warne. pakistan tour to india he is leading wicket taker than anil kumble.so he is quiet amazing spinner in future,experts know,i knows.he devolope himself a match winning spinner.kaneria is good for future

britishchampion said:
I'm a non-bias english fan (yes, they do exist) and in my personal opinion Kaneria is only a great on home soil and trends to struggle else where. There is no doubt he is a great spin bowler but desipte the uncalled hat-trick he isn't an aggressive enought player. If you look at Shane there a big differences... Warney is a match winner, bowls aggressivly and is willing to take risks to get results. Warne will bowl all day just to get a wicket where as Kaneria will bowl all day aslong as he feels he can keep the runs down.

If Kaneria adopts a more aggressive and risky style of play there is no doubt he will compete for the greatest spin bowler of all time... however i think that's unlikely!

Spot on there Warne has that x-factor. He always makes new deliveries and once in a decade produces a ball of the century.
Kaneria himself doesn't have to do this if he can get 500+ wickets then he will be in the greats of cricket.

Just looking at his stats 143 wickets at 24 years of age. He should pass 500 if he plays for another 10 years.
Of course if we seeing a ton of bowlers passing 500 then Kaneria won't be considered a great for passing 500 wickets then Kaneria would have to pass the new benchmark for wickets taken.

I think Kaneria is budding success for Pakistan. Didn't he do better in India than Warney. ;) He didn't have to wait for a long length of his career to record a five wicket haul against us. :P Or has he? Whatever. This is the incorrect time frame to bring this greatness up.

Well Warne isn't God, he can't be successful everywhere. But in Warne's defence most times when he has gone to India he hasn't been 100% fit.
Of course Aus always bring out the best in teams and India lifted their game against all of the Aussies. Anyway good effort by Kaneria to do something Warne has waited so long to do.

Hehehe, I was just taking a jab. Kaneria has a long way to go and Warne will never achieve extreme success against India.

Users who are viewing this thread